Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
astalweeks

Glastonbury

Featured Posts

Saw Lemmy and Motorhead earlier on TV. Had no intention of watching them as I've never particularly enjoyed heavy metal but after about 20 minutes I found it almost hypnotic and decided it wasn't too shabby. And then the drummer did a drum sololaugh.png

Some ginger bint on now

I'm watching Florence & The Machine. I'm not sure which one is The Machine, but they seem a bit overrated to me. She doesn't actually sing very well at all.

I first went to Glastonbury in 1980 when it was still alternative. In those days you could just walk in. I went to the illegal Stonehenge festival the same year. These days "Glasto" is so commercial - as are many other things which have been appropriated by the mainstream culture.

Some ginger bint on now

It's Florence. My partner Jeff's favourite, so I am forced to watch her. At least I got a bottle (well 1/2 bottle) of cava to pacify me. Personally I preferred zeberdee.

I'm watching Florence & The Machine. I'm not sure which one is The Machine, but they seem a bit overrated to me. She doesn't actually sing very well at all.

Good, it's not just me then. If I could find the remote I would watch something else

Glad it's not just me, I'm sat here watching wondering why they are rated so highly.

Beats me too, but Jeff worships her and has flown to Berlin and probably somewhere else, just to see her live. But I don't get it at all.

No me neither, she just seems to be running up and down the stage.

Oh well must mean I'm getting old.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

No me neither, she just seems to be running up and down the stage.

Oh we'll must mean I'm getting old.

Regards kris

We

Good, it's not just me then. If I could find the remote I would watch something else

Me as well. Their Candy Staton cover did my head in. I think there should be a rule that if someone is going to release a straight cover of a song they must be able to sing it at least as well the original.

They're making about the most unmelodious din I've ever heard. I had similar thoughts when listening to that dreadful and monotonous Tubular Bells din years ago, which I only ever listened to once.

We've just watched Florence and both thought she was incredible. An amazing stage presence, incredible energy and fitness level and a beautiful voice.

I did find "ginger bint" deeply objectionable.

We've just watched Florence and both thought she was incredible. An amazing stage presence, incredible energy and fitness level and a beautiful voice.

I did find "ginger bint" deeply objectionable.

Stage presence? Yes, and definitely knows how to play the crowd

Energy & fitness. Yes definitely, although of course she is quite a young thing. Anyway, she managed not break anything this time ... just

Beautiful voice? Hmmm, well there we'll have to differ, but don't tell Jeff I said that!

Ginger? Well a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Actually the last 2 songs, which had some element of melody, I quite enjoyed.

I first went to Glastonbury in 1980 when it was still alternative. In those days you could just walk in. I went to the illegal Stonehenge festival the same year. These days "Glasto" is so commercial - as are many other things which have been appropriated by the mainstream culture.

The trouble is Mike, the authorities worked out how to license such events and effectively sold it back to us.

Having been to Glasto for the last 25 years (and sat in my trailer here right as we speak, I can assure you the counterculture is doing alright, mainly running all of the stages and areas.

I do agree that times are defo changing, you can now charge your iphone in the EE shack etc. but that is in 'Babylon'

The south east corner/old traveller fields are alive with people who put on a proper party.

Edited by Wanted

I went there the following year, 1981. It was £8 for the weekend ticket and you could take your car right into the site. It was far less commercial then though, headline act were Hawkwind who were always a very niche act.

The trouble is Mike, the authorities worked out how to license such events and effectively sold it back to us.

Having been to Glasto for the last 25 years (and sat in my trailer here right as we speak, I can assure you the counterculture is doing alright, mainly running all of the stages and areas.

I do agree that times are defo changing, you can now charge your iphone in the EE shack etc. but that is in 'Babylon'

The south east corner/old traveller fields are alive with people who put on a proper party.

might bump into you tonight :-)

(Im in the recycling area by Tom's Field. Watched Motörhead and Alabama3 last night, but will be going for a trawl around the South East corner tonight)

I've turned over that was enough for me.

To be fair though if I was at Glastonbury now I wouldn't be at the main stage

Same as said to other half, so retired to polish bike, with earplugs in

Nobody used to call it "Glasto", just like we didn't call it "Uni". These Aussie-type abbreviations only started being used once everyone started attending.

The so-called "counter-culture" today is completely different (very sanitised and mainstream). In fact I don't think a counter-culture really exists any more. Once everyone is indulging in alternative culture it ceases to be alternative by definition. And I don't think we can simply blame the authorities for selling the counter-culture back to us. Perhaps we are also responsible for our own consumerism and for buying into it?

Anyway Barton on Avon has it's own "Glasto" today. The local village fayre is being held here. Now this is the REAL counter culture. tongue.png

CAM00600_zps3165dc00.jpg

CAM00603_zpsa0cef3b1.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Her voice sounded ok when it wasn't going out of tune.

Old Burt ought team up and sing with Paul Mc Cartney. They both make noises like croaking frogs with sore throats.

Paloma Faith on now - she's great. Seen her interviewed a few times and she's lovely.

Paloma Faith on now - she's great. Seen her interviewed a few times and she's lovely.

Her purple haze as brilliant

Her purple haze as brilliant

It was great wasn't it? Normally with a singer you can guess from their speaking voice what their singing voice is going to be like but hers is so different it always blows me away.

Sign in to follow this