Gates. Open or closed?

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Reading another thread, it appears that someone has got their nickers in a twist because of gates being left open.

But why are we expected to close the gate/s after leaving a lock?

Rob....

A partial answer: On narrow canals, it is usually the case that the top (single) gate seals much better than the bottom (mitre) gates. So if you leave a top gate open you can waste a lot of water.

A partial answer: On narrow canals, it is usually the case that the top (single) gate seals much better than the bottom (mitre) gates. So if you leave a top gate open you can waste a lot of water.

If you close the top gate, doesn't the water from the previous lock flow down the by-wash anyway?

If you close the top gate, doesn't the water from the previous lock flow down the by-wash anyway?

That's not really the point I was making - if the canal is at or near the level of the bywash weir then there's not really an issue.

However (and this regularly happens on the Northampton flight) if a top gate is left open then by the next morning the pound will often be completely empty.

That's not really the point I was making - if the canal is at or near the level of the bywash weir then there's not really an issue.

However (and this regularly happens on the Northampton flight) if a top gate is left open then by the next morning the pound will often be completely empty.

Poor maintenance then.

If going down the flight, what about leaving the bottom gates open?

As i single hander mostly, i don't care if people leave gates open all the time.

I close all gates behind me, even as a single hander.

So Did I. Even with the pair, I'd always close the gates

Think that its just easy for people to use the leave gates open argument, I see it as lazy as would CRT

(Run for cover)

Poor maintenance then.

If going down the flight, what about leaving the bottom gates open?

Maybe - though one could equally say poor design.

Surely the point here is that given the diversity of skill & experience it is best to have a simple rule (shut the gates, and lower the paddles) rather than a complex rule ("if you are sure the bottom gates are watertight, then leave the top gate open, but if leakage is more than X litres an hour and the next boat is more than Y hours away shut the top gate").

Here's my system for closing gates when going down the Northampton flight single-handed (with another longer rope at the other end of the balance beam to open the offside gate).

post-13477-0-48769900-1435299629_thumb.jpg

On the Thames you are asked to leave the locks empty, in part to keep the lock walls cleaner! And on the Nene guillotine locks should be left empty etc - even though the reason is only relevant when the river is high.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Maybe - though one could equally say poor design.

Surely the point here is that given the diversity of skill & experience it is best to have a simple rule (shut the gates, and lower the paddles) rather than a complex rule ("if you are sure the bottom gates are watertight, then leave the top gate open, but if leakage is more than X litres an hour and the next boat is more than Y hours away shut the top gate").

Here's my system for closing gates when going down the Northampton flight single-handed (with another longer rope at the other end of the balance beam to open the offside gate).

attachicon.gifDSCF3345.JPG

On the Thames you are asked to leave the locks empty, in part to keep the lock walls cleaner! And on the Nene guillotine locks should be left empty etc - even though the reason is only relevant when the river is high.

I assume that normally you would have dropped the paddles?

ThIs seems to be coming up every month or so. Are people that desperate to save themselves a few moments leaving a lock?

You should close the gates on canals because:

It says so in the boater's guide

It says so on placards on most lock flights

By doing so you cut down on leakage, and substantially so if there is a bad leak at one end or the other, caused for example by a bit of wood jammed in the gate seal, a paddle jammed slightly up by debris, or just a knackered lock.

Leakage in locks with gates left open can and does cause drained pounds and thus long delays for the people behind you, and of course a general loss of water from the higher levels of the system which, in times of low rainfall, causes low pounds etc.

So can I suggest you just do it rather than desperately searching for justification for being lazy and inconsiderate.

On rivers it doesn't matter.

ThIs seems to be coming up every month or so. Are people that desperate to save themselves a few moments leaving a lock?

You should close the gates on canals because:

It says so in the boater's guide

It says so on placards on most lock flights

By doing so you cut down on leakage, and substantially so if there is a bad leak at one end or the other, caused for example by a bit of wood jammed in the gate seal, a paddle jammed slightly up by debris, or just a knackered lock.

Leakage in locks with gates left open can and does cause drained pounds and thus long delays for the people behind you, and of course a general loss of water from the higher levels of the system which, in times of low rainfall, causes low pounds etc.

So can I suggest you just do it rather than desperately searching for justification for being lazy and inconsiderate.

On rivers it doesn't matter.

Oh. Thanks for your suggestion.

BUT, I am not "desperately searching for justification for being lazy and inconsiderate".

I was wondering why some canals it's accepted to leave the gates and some it's not.

Rob....

Oh. Thanks for your suggestion.

BUT, I am not "desperately searching for justification for being lazy and inconsiderate".

I was wondering why some canals it's accepted to leave the gates and some it's not.

Rob....

It is only acceptable to leave gates open on canals that are in fact canalised rivers when you look closely. Plus the occasional lock that has to be left empty due to leakage from the lock chamber- it will be signed as such.

If I follow you along a canal, perhaps a mile or so behind, and you leave the gates open, I will have to close them all before I can use the locks. In other words, if you don't do it, I'll have to. Your laziness will cause me more work.

Having said that, there are gates which re-open themselves, and some locks where you are instructed to leave the gates set a particular way.

No, I dropped the paddles after closing the gates - less gate crossing that way (I think). Then I pootle along to the next lock, which is already set.

Sorry. I mis-understood.

If I follow you along a canal, perhaps a mile or so behind, and you leave the gates open, I will have to close them all before I can use the locks. In other words, if you don't do it, I'll have to. Your laziness will cause me more work.

Having said that, there are gates which re-open themselves, and some locks where you are instructed to leave the gates set a particular way.

But, what if you're coming towards me? I'll have saved you work and you won't have to tie up.

Sorry. I mis-understood.

But, what if you're coming towards me? I'll have saved you work and you won't have to tie up.

As I said, it's not about shaving off a tiny bit of work, it's about water conservation. So whether you are coming to or fro, same direction or otherwise, is totally irellevant.

It would save me effort if I didn't have to move my throttle lever when I pass you moored up, but I doubt you would find that a good reason to have your pins pulled out.

• Greenie 1

Sorry. I mis-understood.

Is a boat is approaching you would always leave the gates open for them. Other than that on CRT waterways I thought the bylaws stated the all gates should be left shut. If it is signed otherwise then do what the sign says. On other waterways the rules can be different, on the Avon ANT specifically state that exit gates must be left open.

As I said, it's not about shaving off a tiny bit of work, it's about water conservation. So whether you are coming to or fro, same direction or otherwise, is totally irellevant.

It would save me effort if I didn't have to move my throttle lever when I pass you moored up, but I doubt you would find that a good reason to have your pins pulled out.

Right. So the answer to my original question is 'Water Conservation'. Thanks.

Now then. Your throttle lever. If it takes that much effort...........unless I'm about to cast off. Save me the trouble/effort of getting them out.

cheers.gif Rob....

Unless it is stated otherwise we tend to leave the gates open where possible.

The few locks we do have around here have great big weirs next to them so slight water loss through leaking gates isn't a major problem.

Yes that is perfectly reasonable on rivers - as you say there is lots of water going over the weir. But the same is not true on "proper" canals.

Right. So the answer to my original question is 'Water Conservation'. Thanks.

Now then. Your throttle lever. If it takes that much effort...........unless I'm about to cast off. Save me the trouble/effort of getting them out.

:cheers: Rob....

Yea OK I get the message, I'm being a grumpy xxx, but as I said this does come up regularly and the motive behind it usually seems to be looking for justification for not having to bother.