Bircher Muesli

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

I am going past an aldi later - does it have raisins in it though? Because I hate raisins....

'Fraid so - and sultanas. Also dates, pineapple and pawpaw (papaya). By coincidence I happen to have read the ingredients on a new box this morning.

Forgot dried banana flakes and all the cereals.

'Fraid so - and sultanas. Also dates, pineapple and pawpaw (papaya). By coincidence I happen to have read the ingredients on a new box this morning.

Forgot dried banana flakes and all the cereals.

I don't like sultanas either :( I shall have a look when I am there later though. But maybe I shall just make my own, It was so delicious.

Not knowing what Bircher Muesli is as compared to Alpen etc I went for a look - link to article - http://www.zora.uzh.ch/40410/1/Wolff_Bircher-Benner.pdf

Original recipe - 1 tbsp Rolled oats left to soak in 3 tbsp of cold water for 12 hours, 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 large or 2 small apples, freshly grated with the skin, 1 tbsp of ground hazlenuts or almonds.

I presume it all gets mixed in the bowl.

However, since there are several recipes on google (Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson etc.) I suspect there are as many recipes as there are people who make it. - Might be worth getting hold of the creator of your amazing breakfast and asking for their personal concoction.

Interesting link! I think I'd use fat free yoghurt rather than condensed milk - I'm going to attempt my own this weekend, seems like the base is fairy consistent - rolled oats, grated apple, apple juice, milk/yoghurt and then you can experiment with the other flavours - i had mango and passion fruit and it was a delight I tell you!

Most ready prepared muesli is horrible, much like the sweepings of the floor of my shed. I just put 4 - 5 tbsp. of rolled oats in a bowl, handful of sultanas, couple of dates if I can find them, handful of bran flakes and whatever milk is in the fridge. Must go, need to visit the loo.

Most ready prepared muesli is horrible, much like the sweepings of the floor of my shed. I just put 4 - 5 tbsp. of rolled oats in a bowl, handful of sultanas, couple of dates if I can find them, handful of bran flakes and whatever milk is in the fridge. Must go, need to visit the loo.

Agreed - that's why I recommended the Aldi version.

If you're making your own, are you allowed to put crystallised ginger in it? Yum.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to making a hairy bikers bircher muesli - which I belive is called so because you leave the oats to soak overnight rather than make it up to eat right away.

I had porridge, natural yoghurt, milk, grated apple, apple juice and runny honey and topped it with seeds made last night, ate this AM and it was looovely. Made enough for 3 breakfasts too!