Best Way To Get Out Of The Marina

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

We parked front first into our mooring at the marina. We haven't been out since we moored up at the start of May, but we have a day off this week!! So I'd like to go out for the day, but what is the best way to reverse out of our pontoon ?

I have attached a lovely aerial shot and highlighted where about we are. Our engine does not seem to be the most powerful one, and I just don't want to damage anyone else's boat! (Helmsmans court due to be booked, just don't want to miss a chance to get out on the river!)

Any tips would be much appreciated.

post-22622-0-50763900-1435224145_thumb.jpg

We parked front first into our mooring at the marina. We haven't been out since we moored up at the start of May, but we have a day off this week!! So I'd like to go out for the day, but what is the best way to reverse out of our pontoon ?

I have attached a lovely aerial shot and highlighted where about we are. Our engine does not seem to be the most powerful one, and I just don't want to damage anyone else's boat! (Helmsmans court due to be booked, just don't want to miss a chance to get out on the river!)

Any tips would be much appreciated.

attachicon.gifthames_kennet1.jpg

Make use of the wind direction, don't try to fight it.

I'm not experienced enough to offer exact advice/directions, but by the looks of it, you seem to have a fair amount of space to maneuver a narrow boat out of your spot; much more than we had at Braunston

I remember when we took our WB out of Braunston marina the first couple of times on our own. It was really scary, just didn't want to bump into someone else's pride & joy, or any of the boats that were up for sale. Speaking of which, whoever bought India from Braunston has a bit of our blackening - any chance of us getting it back detective.gif

So my advice is - plan your route, and just take it very slow.

It does get much easier with practiceboat.gif

Backwards.

haha well I had that bit down, it's just scary!

I'm not experienced enough to offer exact advice/directions, but by the looks of it, you seem to have a fair amount of space to maneuver a narrow boat out of your spot; much more than we had at Braunston

I remember when we took our WB out of Braunston marina the first couple of times on our own. It was really scary, just didn't want to bump into someone else's pride & joy, or any of the boats that were up for sale. Speaking of which, whoever bought India from Braunston has a bit of our blackening - any chance of us getting it back detective.gif

So my advice is - plan your route, and just take it very slow.

It does get much easier with practiceboat.gif

It's doesn't feel like so much space to manoeuvre on the ground, but looking at that short we might be alright I guess we just need to go for it! We'll only take it down to Sonning I think, but would be good to get out for the day.

Assuming very little or no wind, initially keep the tiller amidships to get some water flowing over the rudder. When moving and clear of the pontoon push the tiller about 45 degrees ish to port (LHS facing forward) and the boat should start to turn. When boat is facing more or less the way you want is to go select forward gear and push the tiller to starboard. Away you go - have fun and relax, it's what it is all about.

The water where you are looks fairly deep so it should be easier to reverse there than on the cut.

ETA, don't forget to cast off first. smile.png

Edited by Ray T

1. Come out straight backwards to clear the pontoons and other boats on them. Do this bit slowly.

2. Then turn clockwise about 80 degrees so you're in line, but facing backwards, along the main channel

3. Go backwards until it opens out to an area wide enough to turn in a normal way

4. Turn the boat through 180 degrees (half a turn)

5. Proceed out the marina forwards

As you get more used to the boat, you might find you can combine 3 and 4 into one sweeping backwards turning movement, most boats prop walk slightly to the left so propwalk will help here.

If its particularly windy, you need to do the same, but more decisively and have a 'plan B' in case the wind blows you too near to other boats. A valid plan B would be to return to your own pontoon and start again.

As you back out of your space, the wind will catch the stern of the boat as you reverse out. There is nothing you can do to stop this, but armed with this knowledge, check which way the wind is blowing then you'll know what to expect as you reverse out.

Now, before you start the manoeuvre, you'll know which way the boat will be facing by the time you've finished reversing out.

If the wind is calm (rare in T&K) then just back straight out into the middle of the pool then go forwards and turn whichever way you need.

If it's blowing hard then give it some beans as you reverse out, then you'll be nearer the middle of the pool by the time you've been blown sideways!

If it all goes tits up and the wind is blowing you into the end of the pool as it usually does, yes use reverse to get the stern away from the other boats, and reverse out of the pool. You won't have the space to swing the stern around to motor out forwards.

Hope that helps...

MtB

(Edit to improve clarity)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Assuming very little or no wind, initially keep the tiller amidships to get some water flowing over the rudder. When moving and clear of the pontoon push the tiller about 45 degrees ish to port (LHS facing forward) and the boat should start to turn. When boat is facing more or less the way you want is to go select forward gear and push the tiller to starboard. Away you go - have fun and relax, it's what it is all about.

The water where you are looks fairly deep so it should be easier to reverse there than on the cut.

ETA, don't forget to cast off first. smile.png

Cast off? I doubt she'll have time for doing any knitting.

The facetious answer to your topic title is "When no one is watching" - it'a amazing how smoothly some of us manoeuvre when there is no audience.

A more sensible answer (in addition to the good advice given by colleagues in previous posts) is, most narrowboats steer like pigs in reverse. But help is at hand, literally. On your boat's roof you should have a pole, known to the beardier forumites as a "long shaft". It is not there for ornament. So, if executing (perhaps an inept choice of word) the turn under power is more than you feel confident to accomplish, gently reverse until you're clear of your pontoon. Then push the boat round, using the long shaft/ pole at the pointy end, until the boat is facing roughly the way you want to go. Engage forward gear and chug triumphantly off as if you'd been doing it all your life.

if all else fails, ask a neighbouring moorer to help you.

Thank you for all your advice everyone! and yes Mike, looking at the photo I'm almost wondering what I'm fussing about, but on the boat is seems like there is very little room to move.

We do have poles, that was my plan I can up with in my head, use them to help us out and facing the right way. Our trip to get into our mooring was HORRIFIC. worst boating experience so far, so grateful for our lovely neighbours, otherwise we'd probably still just be stranded!

Just take it dead slow.

Tactically I would say you have two choices. straight back and the swing the bow to point at the exit but pushing off the end of the jetty or using a pole, or back off into the later space within the triangle of boats and turn there using engine.

Expect little or no turning in reverse, use blips of forwards to steer.

If there is much wind at all, take into account its effects, which may well decide which of the two options above you go for.

Do a depth test with you pole beforehand, unless you already k ow the depth, just in case it's two deep to reach!

Worse case, as lond as your only going slowly, with won't do any damage touching up against a boat.

Daniel

Use your mooring ropes to swing the boat under power, the stern line will pull the stern towards the pontoon and the front will swing. Tickover rules. If the pontoon is on the wrong side use your neighbour and fenders. With his permission.

If you are not alone someone with the bow rope could pull the bows round as soon as its cleat of the pontoon/boat beside you. This would get the turn started. If its like my mooring you will not have enough room to start the turn until your bow is level with the end of the pontoon or adjacent boat.

Ask an experience boater to help swing it around and show you how it's done, (especially if there is a cross wind on the day) and they will feel special for showing off, and you'll learn a lot from watching them.....

I would...reverse.....and as the bow leaves the pontoon....see which way the winds blowing it.....lets assume its blowing left to right...then...you need to play a game...you need to keep your boat going backwards....using reverse gear...interrupted by bursts of (forward gear holding the tiller full to the left), so that the stern kicks itself to the left......which should help emphasis the movement of the bow (with the wind), to the right........

this is the bit you'll need to master in due course....how to reverse, while still using bursts of forward + tiller position....to turn the boat around. In these instances, a strong wind can be a friend and not a foe.