Boats Traveling At Night

Mike J.E.W

Featured Posts

Gazza's idea of catenarys along the cut has some merit, but bridges could be a problem! Then there is the problem of Electrickerty supply. We cannot have NASTY Nuclear, DIRTY old coal or the Russians might turn the tap off gas. Only leaves hydro wind and solar. We could generate power from the weirs, variable and they would get clogged with cr*p. Wind, not very reliable especially inland. Solar, not very good when the sun is not shining. However it!t would solve the problem of night navigation though

Gazza's idea of catenarys along the cut has some merit, but bridges could be a problem! Then there is the problem of Electrickerty supply. We cannot have NASTY Nuclear, DIRTY old coal or the Russians might turn the tap off gas. Only leaves hydro wind and solar. We could generate power from the weirs, variable and they would get clogged with cr*p. Wind, not very reliable especially inland. Solar, not very good when the sun is not shining. However it!t would solve the problem of night navigation though

Sod it, sounds like too much hassle for the odd light sleeper.

We will stick with the venerable IC engine then :)

Yes you are quite right, the one idiot I was referring to is the one who seizes on one noisy boat going by to start an action group, then the authorities over react as happened at Ansty.

Just recap I don't mind what time people go past our house and mooring, I enjoy watching boats go by especially historic ones. I dont care if you slow down or not as my boat is moored properly.

BUT

I think that operating a very noisy boat late at night is asking for trouble from those less sympathetic to boating. And there are already rumblings from boaters about banning boat movents after 6pm and before 8am. So don't give them ammunition, boat through the night if you want to but do it with some consideration. Fit a silencer take it off for the rally if you must.

I will be at the Braunston boat rally and will bring ear defenders

And how does one fit an extra silencer into 4 inch steam pipe that is remove able? By all means come by take a look and tell me oh and you can lift the bugger in and out.

Lots of teenage boys like badly silenced, noisy cars and bikes, makes them feel important and helps suppress their deep rooted insecurity I suppose. For those a bit older, why not just get a large phallus to put on the bow like a figurehead? That way the rest of us could remain asleep.

Lots of teenage boys like badly silenced, noisy cars and bikes, makes them feel important and helps suppress their deep rooted insecurity I suppose. For those a bit older, why not just get a large phallus to put on the bow like a figurehead? That way the rest of us could remain asleep.

Hang on Nick, I don't know how long you have been a motorcyclists but it was often said noisy pipes save lives, so on that basis the loud bolinder was a benefit alerting the hard of sleeping rather than a whisper quiet hospital silenced whiz bang jap engined boat sliding by unnoticed :)

Never let a fact get in the way of a rant.

There is no right of navigation on canals it was abolished over 45 years ago in 1968.

Never let a generalisation get in the way of the truth.

That might apply to the former British Waterways canals, but what about the ones that weren't nationalised at the time?

See this for information: http://tinyurl.com/nujywlx

Hang on Nick, I don't know how long you have been a motorcyclists but it was often said noisy pipes save lives, so on that basis the loud bolinder was a benefit alerting the hard of sleeping rather than a whisper quiet hospital silenced whiz bang jap engined boat sliding by unnoticed :)

OK I'll have to give you that one, my Ducati 909SS Desmo (1979 version) never had a problem with pedestrians stepping out in front, although it did suck the odd cat on the pavement into its unfiltered carbs.

Edited by nicknorman

Never let a generalisation get in the way of the truth.

That might apply to the former British Waterways canals, but what about the ones that weren't nationalised at the time?

See this for information: http://tinyurl.com/nujywlx

that's where I got the date from

Should have said BW canals .......

Is there still a right of nav on the Rochdale?

Now, there's a whole new subject. Singing in tunnels can be very satisfying indeed, particularly if you can find the notes that resonate. Not as impressive as playing the cornet though

Richard

Or the melodeon. Or both together, with the cornet/trumpet following us through Harecastle tunnel a hundred yards or so behind. Made keeping in time interesting...

To further reduce the potential for confrontation, I suggest pre-folding the pamphlet as a paper plane which can be gently floated across the gap without the need to get too close. In my experience people who make up law to suit themselves are best kept at a safe distance.

There are hazards with this -- see the "Paper aeroplane mishap" video here... https://www.facebook.com/ian.dedic

Oops, the HB thug club has stirred, everyone (with a shiny boat) take cover!

Ling is one of the shiniest boats I've seen, having had a makeover at the hands of Paul Barber :-)

Also one of the most distinctive engine notes.. Having once steered a boat with a bolinder, no reverse gear and deep draughted, you learn a real admiration for those that regularly and masterfully steer these boats... And as for the noise, can't think of a better sound to be woken up by!!

And no, my boat is neither historic, nor shiny..

It only took one person to get the moorings closed at Ansty because she didn't like boats moored opposite her house and that was the other side of the road. We may not like it but those people are out there and they do make their selves heard.

That person happened to be a Coventry City Councillor at the time and I am led to believe used "undue influence."

ETA I was privileged to have a ride on an ex FMC boat round the Braunston show today and the rhythm of its Kelvin was extremely hypnotic, fabulous.

Edited by Ray T

Only on the section between Castlefield and Dale Street, the rest was officially abandoned in (I think) 1952.

So the Bridgewater the MSC and a short part of Rochdale have rights of nav, are there any others?

Then we need to fight back and tell these onanists where to get off.

Don't roll over and give in to the bastards!

One should always moor opposite the houses at Ansty if only because there are about 8 signs telling you not to. Two would have been sufficient, one at each end. Sorry but old canal - new houses = feck off!

• Greenie 4

Yes, it was me. But not one the boat im known for. I am sorry for all disturbances, and im well aware i was in te wrong to do so. I struggled to start the engine (1.5 hours of it) and was scared to put out. No excuse I know, so im sorry. But I DID slow do to below tick over for that engine and watch very carefully to the disturbance of other boats, if any had of shown signs of moving Id have pulled it iut of gear.

If you want to come and see me and tell me off in person my names Jason. I accept all responciblietly. It's me not tha boat.

Jay

Edited for Speeling

You are welcome to pass my moored boat at any hour of day or night however loud or staccato your exhaust beat! I do not believe that you did anything wrong.

Don't apologise, so long as you passed at a reasonable speed, certainly not making a breaking wave, none of us would have been wakened and if we were we would have given you a 'thumbs-up', a nod and a welcome wave!

I cannot speak for the nimby's that make up their own rules.

Alan

I love night cruising, but running into more opposition these days from other boaters. Usually liveaboards who have taken root and never go anywhere. Sometimes get told it's illegal, which it isn't.

Next time I get told this I'll just say "Oh, ok, thanks, sorry, I didn't know that" instead of getting into the midnight argument that normally results when I respond with "No it isn't!"

Then carry on cruising.

Or can anyone suggest a better way of diffusing someone crossly telling me that I'm breaking the law by cruising at night?

Nope.

People who go round inventing rules to stop others doing things that they want not to be allowed must NOT be appeased in any way whatsoever.

I would suggest "It is perfectly legal to cruise at night, provided you are insured to do so, and carry appropriate lights. I am insured and have appropriate lights. Are you authorised by the Canal and River Trust to issue directions, or are you attempting to interfere with my lawful use of the canals without any authority?"

Nope.

People who go round inventing rules to stop others doing things that they want not to be allowed must NOT be appeased in any way whatsoever.

I would suggest "It is perfectly legal to cruise at night, provided you are insured to do so, and carry appropriate lights. I am insured and have appropriate lights. Are you authorised by the Canal and River Trust to issue directions, or are you attempting to interfere with my lawful use of the canals without any authority?"

Or 'P!ss Off and mind your own business' for short?! :)

• Greenie 1

One should always moor opposite the houses at Ansty if only because there are about 8 signs telling you not to. Two would have been sufficient, one at each end. Sorry but old canal - new houses = feck off!

Sadly it is still happening now. The latest incarnation of this that I am aware of is the new moorings at Macclesfield.

Installed at great expense, allegedly to benefit boaters, the real reason is that local new build house owners objected to boats on the long standing existing visitor moorings and water point.

Moving the water point, at a cost of £thousands of YOUR licence money, was not enough to appease the objectors so a six figure sum of YOUR money was used to install new moorings further away.

Sadly, the land opposite the new moorings has been approved for more new build housing! Watch this space.

George ex nb Alton retired

Sadly it is still happening now. The latest incarnation of this that I am aware of is the new moorings at Macclesfield.

Installed at great expense, allegedly to benefit boaters, the real reason is that local new build house owners objected to boats on the long standing existing visitor moorings and water point.

Moving the water point, at a cost of £thousands of YOUR licence money, was not enough to appease the objectors so a six figure sum of YOUR money was used to install new moorings further away.

Sadly, the land opposite the new moorings has been approved for more new build housing! Watch this space.

This is annoying, but there is fault and inconsideracy on both sides. Unfortunately some boaters have ridiculous load generators and insist on burning smokey coal, wet wood and bits of plastic fished from the cut, and this sort of reaction is the inevitable consequence.

This is annoying, but there is fault and inconsideracy on both sides. Unfortunately some boaters have ridiculous load generators and insist on burning smokey coal, wet wood and bits of plastic fished from the cut, and this sort of reaction is the inevitable consequence.

In which case, penalise the offenders not all of us.

In which case, penalise the offenders not all of us.

Agreed, but unfortunately there is no mechanism in law for that. (Cue folk pointing out that the law doesn't seem to be an impediment to CRT, in which case I'll change my point to "no will from CRT").