Volunteers Required For Forum/website Testing

Paul C

Featured Posts

Indeed.

Quite sure the i-based fruit with a bit out of one side will not go untested as there are plenty of apple users on the forum, but the berry based devices are less common on the forum so its good to know.

Anyone on a windoze fone?

Daniel

Can borrow one from work for a month or so if no volunteers, shout if you want me to get one

• 4 weeks later...

I know its not a new thread but replying to the existing one - but are the original testers which volunteered a few weeks ago still keen to help out looking at a bunch of new software changes? Also we could do with a few more, ideally about 30.

After a bunch of tweaking to get things sufficiently right, I've now been able to create an entire, similar-but-not-the-same "test site" where we will be making some significant changes to the site, and its too risky to do them on the live environment. The idea is, the test area exists to "try things out" and also things can be tried out, it put back to its previous state, then tried over and over until the procedure is well understood, has no side-issues, and is slick. This way any impending large changes on the main site can be done smoothly.

The following members are able to access the test area:

+-----------+----------------------+-----------------+---------------+
| member_id | members_display_name | member_group_id | mgroup_others |
| 62 | Mike the Boilerman | 3 | ,16, |
| 144 | larkshall | 3 | ,16, |
| 150 | DHutch | 4 | ,3, |
| 1217 | Janet S | 3 | ,16, |
| 1310 | GoodGurl | 6 | ,3, |
| 2711 | Theo | 6 | ,3, |
| 2984 | Lady Muck | 6 | ,3, |
| 3364 | Richard T | 3 | ,16, |
| 4539 | FadeToScarlet | 6 | ,3, |
| 4011 | stagedamager | 3 | ,16, |
| 5065 | PaulG | 3 | ,16, |
| 5472 | Ange | 17 | ,3, |
| 7390 | Lady Cassandra | 3 | ,16, |
| 7909 | David Mack | 3 | ,16, |
| 8404 | boots | 3 | ,16, |
| 8749 | john6767 | 3 | ,16, |
| 9028 | nicknorman | 3 | ,16, |
| 9683 | Laurie.Booth | 3 | ,16, |
| 9998 | Jess-- | 3 | ,16, |
| 11764 | DeanS | 6 | ,3, |
| 13477 | Scholar Gypsy | 3 | ,16, |
| 14179 | Paul C | 15 | ,3,6, |
| 15689 | BruceinSanity | 3 | ,16, |
| 14402 | Starcoaster | 3 | ,16, |
| 14862 | Rob-M | 3 | ,16, |
| 15167 | Tesla | 15 | ,3,6, |
| 15404 | Little Else | 3 | ,16, |
| 18322 | StarUKKiwi | 3 | ,16, |
| 17236 | Mike at Mayroyd | 3 | ,16, |
| 16946 | Jerra | 3 | ,16, |
| 20365 | Bettie Boo | 3 | ,16, |
| 20699 | Paul G2 | 3 | ,16, |
| 22622 | Lmcgrath87 | 3 | ,16, |
| | | 15 | ,3,6, |
| 24509 | test_dev_member | 3 | ,16, |

(The code numbers are for my benefit: 3=member, 16=development area member, 15=tech, 6=mod, 4=admin, 17=staff)

This should give a reasonable bunch of members to try it out. Everyone else is unable to access the area (but could still in theory read it if they logged out), also bots have been disallowed so it won't be indexed or searchable on the wider web.

Please can you, for now, use the test site to try stuff out, do normal things, send PMs, start topics, reply to stuff, etc. Its a snapshot of the main site from last night('s backup).

The URL to access it is........

http://www.canalworld.net/testarea123/index.php

PS Obviously for actual discussion of canal and other stuff, please use the MAIN site! This includes discussion about test area problems etc because it might be necessary to wipe and reload it and I'd not want to lose anything valuable or useful which was posted on it. And also, try not to get the two areas muddled up! I've altered the banner on the test site to serve as a reminder....

Thanks!

Edited by Paul C

I tried to send you a PM on the test site but it said I had exceeded my maximum mail quota. I can send you a PM on the normal site.

That's interesting - I've just tested with the test account and it works. I don't suppose your PM mailbox is full or anything? The limit is 150 messages.

Scholar Gypsy and I have exchanged PMs ok.

Test site seems to be fully functional atm using my usual rig of iPhone on 3 wifi tethered to my iPad. Able to view all threads and images and have just saved the waterway tube map from tazcam's post to the Photos app.

Just tried sending Nick a pm on the test sight - thought I'd be clever and attach a pic but couldn't find the facility to add one. Went to send it anyway and this is the message I got...

Compose New Message
The following errors were found

The member nicknorman cannot receive any new messages

This personal message has not been sent

Must be somthing wrong with Nick's PM facility - just tried to send him one from the "normal" page and this is the message I received when it wouldn't work...

Sending a PM to nicknorman

The member nicknorman cannot receive any new messages

I'm just running a UTF8 conversion utility on the test database, which has loaded the server to 100% and looks like its going to take hours (because we have ~1.6 million posts in the forum). The thing runs (I think) in a way which doesn't lock out access at the time, but obviously the time it takes it going to cause an issue for posts made during/after the table conversion but before its 'switched' over to the new tables. Anyway, keep posting and I'll be able to look at the discrepencies.

I'm just running a UTF8 conversion utility on the test database, which has loaded the server to 100% and looks like its going to take hours (because we have ~1.6 million posts in the forum). The thing runs (I think) in a way which doesn't lock out access at the time, but obviously the time it takes it going to cause an issue for posts made during/after the table conversion but before its 'switched' over to the new tables. Anyway, keep posting and I'll be able to look at the discrepencies.

I've read the above and in my mind it translated to = blah blah blah, trying something new, blah blah blah, going to take longer than I thought, blah blah blah

As in, I have no idea what you are describing, other than your trying to do something and it may take awhile :)

It seems to be just Nick's thingy that won't let someone send him a PM, sent one to MtB from both the test site and the normal site and although I don't know yet if he's received them, they seem to have gone through on my end.