Dulux Weathershield For Boat Painting

Featured Posts

This could be a rumour or an old wives tail, but I have heard from multiple sources (including one person who used to work in management at a paint manufacturer) that genuine NATO paint is very porous and gives no water protection on its own. When I wanted to paint one of my motorbikes olive green I went for satin "military vehicle restoration paint", results came out looking good http://imgur.com/a/04XK6

... its the type of paint they use on JCB....

The majority of JCB parts are now powered coated, as its easier to meet environmental standards with a dry paint system. What is wet paint is a two-part paint, bar touch up work .

Daniel

The majority of JCB parts are now powered coated, as its easier to meet environmental standards with a dry paint system. What is wet paint is a two-part paint, bar touch up work .

Daniel

Previous post edited to reflect new info. Was only going on what I was told.....

I have been recommended Johnstones paints and as they have a depot at Tamworth i am considering picking up from their trade counter.

Has anyone had any experiece of them? if so, what are they like to use and is their durability as good as the marine paints on the market?

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

Daniel

Yes, powder coat paint is very good, we used it 45 years ago on steel tubular furniture frames, but it needs to be baked on in an oven, which is a bit difficult for a narrowboat !

Another vote for Weathershield from me. Easy to use (I like water based) long lasting black

Just ask any professional painter what they think of water based paints, the air might turn blue!!

I have been recommended Johnstones paints and as they have a depot at Tamworth i am considering picking up from their trade counter.

Has anyone had any experiece of them? if so, what are they like to use and is their durability as good as the marine paints on the market?

Rick

I used to paint the hull and topsides of my old MFV in Johnstones. Had the base colour mixed at the Johnstons Decorating centre in Chatham to make 'Funnel Yellow'. Undercoat was also Johnstones.

In the harsh salty environment it never peeled off or looked tired unless I used sockless fenders then id get some rubbing marks on the bits that were permanently rubbing against the pontoon.

I used to repaint the hull every year but then I was in drydock for 2 weeks every year for a good scrape and re-antifoul so had plenty of time.

There was only once that I remember her not being docked for a couple of years and the paint still had a good gloss on it and IIRR in those 2 years she had 2 return trips to Oostende and a visit to Cherbourg to see the eclipse so plenty of buffetting from the sea.

• Greenie 1

I used to paint the hull and topsides of my old MFV in Johnstones. Had the base colour mixed at the Johnstons Decorating centre in Chatham to make 'Funnel Yellow'. Undercoat was also Johnstones.

In the harsh salty environment it never peeled off or looked tired unless I used sockless fenders then id get some rubbing marks on the bits that were permanently rubbing against the pontoon.

I used to repaint the hull every year but then I was in drydock for 2 weeks every year for a good scrape and re-antifoul so had plenty of time.

There was only once that I remember her not being docked for a couple of years and the paint still had a good gloss on it and IIRR in those 2 years she had 2 return trips to Oostende and a visit to Cherbourg to see the eclipse so plenty of buffetting from the sea.

Brilliant! thank you for that will go ahead and pick it up in the morning before my next cruise

Rick

I used to paint the hull and topsides of my old MFV in Johnstones. Had the base colour mixed at the Johnstons Decorating centre in Chatham to make 'Funnel Yellow'.

Also good paint, painted a shipping container in it a uni. Wouldnt mind checking up on it, but we bought 2x5l from screwfix for seriously little money.

- The inside was painted with a single coat of the white which covered really fairly well over a mixed base.

- The outside, got a coat of white, then we bought 1l of navy from the decorator centre, tipped it into the while, an painted the outside again giving a sky blue colour.

That was about 6 years ago, and while as I say I wouldnt mind going back to look at it as far as I know it still looks passable. Very little surface prep was done... but it is also weather-steel as its a container.

Daniel

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but would Weatheshield be OK for the topsides of a GRP?

If not, what other brand would you recommend?

Put off painting a GRP boat for as long as possible - it becomes a real PITA and a chore to be done virtually every year.

Try a real deep 'cut-and-polish' to try and get a good surface back, only go for painting as a very, very last resort.

If its already been painted then you have my commiserations.

When I bought my Cruiser it looked superb - it had just been painted, it didn't last long and now needs much more work to try and keep it looking anything like reasonable.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If its already been painted then you have my commiserations.

When I bought my Cruiser it looked superb - it had just been painted, it didn't last long and now needs much more work to try and keep it looking anything like reasonable.

Why should a GRP not be painted? Is it to do with the fibreglass?

Maybe the previous owner was just crap at painting and didn't prime things properly? Maybe they used ordinary gloss, and not a decent hard wearing paint?

My boat is from the 70's and I doubt it's the original coat. I'm pretty sure it's been painted. It looks fine in most places, just some small areas need a touchup, but I'd rather do the whole topside than patch it up with dabs here and there.

On 22/06/2015 at 21:49, Starcoaster said:

I have seen mention before of people using Dulux weathershield for painting their boat's exterior- can anyone who has used it comment on how good it was and how good it remained after use? Assuming proper preparation and application.

Specifically, Weathershield quick dry exterior gloss.

Thanks!

On 23/06/2015 at 14:13, David Schweizer said:

Before it's recent full repaint, our boat was painted with Dulux Weathershield and it lasted more than ten years, albeit somewhat faded by then.

If you do choose to use it, make sure you get Dulux Trade Weathershield mixed to your colour of choice at a Decorators Merchant, and not from one of the DIY barns. The trade paint is still a traditional oil spirit based paint which will go on easily, lay off well, and last a good length of time, wheras (apart from white) the DIY version is waterbased and does not last nearly as well in an outdoor environment (despite it's name) It is also more difficult to lay off and get a smooth gloss finish, owing to it's quick drying time.

I still use Trade Weathershield to paint the exterior doors on our house, and get it mixed up by Brewers.

Used it myself with me doing the prep and painting and it is great stuff and really lasts well