So What To Do Now?

kris88

Featured Posts

Because over 8 million people live in London. If I spoke to a thousand Londoners, yes there may well be a few who would think about living in a boat, look for a boat and actually go as far as doing it.
My view BTW on hot spots like London is to create more official paid moorings. Hopefully those on benefits could get financial help as they would if they lived in a council flat.

Because over 8 million people live in London. If I spoke to a thousand Londoners, yes there may well be a few who would think about living in a boat, look for a boat and actually go as far as doing it.
My view BTW on hot spots like London is to create more official paid moorings. Hopefully those on benefits could get financial help as they would if they lived in a council flat.

Perhaps just a few as you say. But what about those unable to rent in citys who commute possibly paying lower rents but unable to buy. Create a no mooring rezyriction canal system and you will end up with floating homes for miles.
It,'s my opinion so we agree to differ. Probably we both have other members agree with each of our views.
Not sure why quote box is failing. Edited by Theo

Very few people choose to live on a boat, they would rather take a council flat or even a hostel. Other than those I know who actually are live aboards, I've not met one person yet who would do it.

Very few people choose to live on a boat, they would rather take a council flat or even a hostel. Other than those I know who actually are live aboards, I've not met one person yet who would do it.

To counter your generalisation above, 'you have not met 1person yet' I have 4 seperate people moored in front / behind me who have sold up bricks n mortar to live on a boat, also know of two more folks in the process of selling up and becoming full time live aboard!

So, to use your logic of 'in your experience'... In my experience..Loads of people are itching to move aboard!!

Care to post some actual proof that few people 'choose' to live on a boat apart from just your opinion?

As I said in my last post, if I spoke to a 1000 Londoners I'd find a few who would actually go through with it.

You are living amongst other live aboards so I guess your sample will be different to mine (I move around a lot). I take someone's point that there may be more interest from younger people now as it is very tough on them these days.

Out of curiosity, would you disagree with abolishing the 14 day law then?

I've been talking to the trust ever since I broke down in this spot. Ive let them know what has been happening ever since.

My intention never was to stay here this long.

The only thing I feel guilty of is maybe underestimating the amount of work involved in getting my boat running again.

So why am I on the naughty step, and having to renew my liscence every 3months under threat of non renewal and should feel grateful for the privlage.

My boat has insurance it has a current safety certificate and will be moving again shortly.

Why am I being made a criminal?

Regards kris

If I was in their shoes, I would suspect that the period of immobility is frankly taking the pee. Like any broken vehicle I would have expected that the vessel was recovered to a boatyard, or a marina for repair in a timely manner

I do get fed up with your endless repetition of this idea that people with moorings whinge about CCers because we pay for moorings and they don't. We pay for a mooring because it suits us - it's actually got very little to do with CRT's rules. I've never met a single boater who moans about CCers - sure, we envy the ones who can do it because most of us would like to do more travelling than we can - there's bits of the system I know I'll never get to. It's a choice you make - trouble is, some people make the choice to claim to be continuous cruisers not because they want to cruise, but simply because it's cheaper. Them we don't envy at all, we just think they're stupid because it's asking for trouble.

I thought we were talking about CM'ers...well someone overstaying beyond 14 days.

Looking at that from another angle, if we knocked on every door of every house in the country, and asked the direct question "would you like to live on the canal in a boat?" I wonder what percentage of the population would answer "yes?"

Thanks, that's a better question than mine...

Edited to say that you'd also need to ask those who don't live in a house too...oops...

Edited by bassplayer

Why on earth CRT can't just sell him a mooring within spit of where he is I don't know. To the OP; have you asked?

Strikes me there are few who could complain at that.

I seem to recall this would not be an option because the OP cannot afford a mooring AND pay for the repairs their boat needs. It has been suggested previously ISTR.

I do also think the OP is 'playing' the forum and is seeking attention rather than seeking a proper resolution to their looming crisis.

What harm is Kris doing? Do you really think CRT's threats are in keeping with with what Kris is doing? I don't think so.

Maybe CRT should be more prepared to make contact with Kris to discuss his situation before steaming in with threats. Isn't that the best way to deal with a customer?

I'm sorry he is taking the pee. Why should CRT negotiate with Kris, he is clearly in the wrong.

9 Months does seem to be beyond what anyone could describe as a reasonable time to be stuck waiting for parts (what are you doing ordering one nut per week?)

given a problem that would disable my boat for that long I would have made some temporary modifications just to get moving...

no engine? Beg steal or borrow an outboard and strap it to the stern somehow.

no rudder? use a plank of wood.

Me too! The one-off financial hit would set the project back but it is probably the best solution in the long term. Kriss would need a lot of good friends to tow or bow-haul his boat every two weeks.

Some of us are dreamers; we take on a huge project and promise ourselves that it will be completed and we will be cruising 'tomorrow'. Thus we believe our version of the real world and make the same promises to others.

Good luck, Kriss, listen to all the good advice above and take a reality check. You now have three months probation, use it wisely.

Alan

I seem to recall this would not be an option because the OP cannot afford a mooring AND pay for the repairs their boat needs. It has been suggested previously ISTR.

I do also think the OP is 'playing' the forum and is seeking attention rather than seeking a proper resolution to their looming crisis.

If he took the mooring option then he would have years to save the money if that hard up then housing benefit would be paying his licence and if he got one his mooring too.

Because he is not doing ANYONE any harm including CRT, and CRT have the option to work with Kris's personal situation but chose not to. Sometimes not everything is just black or white. Does everyone stick exactly to speed limits?

However, as I say, I don't know all the circumstances so maybe I'm guilty of armchair judging. Maybe, I should have said CRT are being too draconian about his situation.

You can't be serious CRT are being more than generous. Can you think of any other public body who would be so generous. Indeed some would say they have been lax in not carrying thru earlier

+1

he might even be winding us all up while he relaxes in his penthouse flat in Sloane Square laughing his t*ts off.

Chris. I've read all the thread. Knowing Cwmans sympathies and modus operandi from reading his many contributuons on this site I would suggest you take his sound and simple advise. All the best. CART appear to have been fair.

Edited by mark99

As I said in my last post, if I spoke to a 1000 Londoners I'd find a few who would actually go through with it.

Ok suppose there were 3. Suppose you had a representative sample of Londoners, all 8,000,000 of them. That would be 3 x 8,000 = 24,000. That is not a few. But that is a trivial point.

More importantly:

There isn't a PC way of saying it kindly so I'll be blunt. You don't have the necessary thinking skills to work out problems like these. What you do have is great empathy with people you perceive to be suffering and this can be very helpful to those people. By all means hold a view but do understand that your forte is the people support side not the practical side. Most of the posts you have made on this forum show this.

• Greenie 1

Options as i see it -

Comply to the letter which i think is reasonable and giving you every opportunity to do so by -

- mend the boat and move on,

- find a home mooring,

- sell the boat and get yourself on the council register,

- buy a stout horse some hay and a length of towing rope,

i like the last option wink.png

Also might be worth considering signing on with RCR in case this happens again. If something totally breaks down they'll either repair it or make a sizeable contribution - they gave me a grand towards the cost of my last repair. Pretty good for not that much a year.

What is the actual part you're waiting for? I'm sure myself, or some of the other engineering boffs on here could manufacture it in our workshops.

There are people with bits of old engine lying around too. Kris's movement pattern before he broke down could be significant - was he already on CRT's radar before this because he doesn't really want to move out of the area? If so, that could be a feature in CRT now bringing it to a head. If he spent the previous ten years travelling the entire network then you could argue for some considerable leeway - boats are expensive beasts as we all know and if your income is low you don't really include major breakdown costs in your thinking until they happen - as I know from personal experience. If it hadn't been for RCR I'd be off the water myself.

Ok suppose there were 3. Suppose you had a representative sample of Londoners, all 8,000,000 of them. That would be 3 x 8,000 = 24,000. That is not a few. But that is a trivial point.

More importantly:

You don't have the necessary thinking skills to work out problems like these.

If you really wanted to be blunt then just say I'm stupid. I can take it. Just one request though, please explain to me why you think I don't have the 'relevant thinking skills'?

If you really wanted to be blunt then just say I'm stupid. I can take it. Just one request though, please explain to me why you think I don't have the 'relevant thinking skills'?

Well I'll offer this. You promulgate same tired, repetitive one dimensional arguments in so many threads it's entirely predictable. Sorry but perhaps being blunt is the kindest comment.

Did kriss take advantage to the 5 months of winter mooring that he could have bought? If you were stuck, surely 5 months mooring at the reasonable price would have been a good idea, and taken the heat off a bit!

Why not just untie the boat every day and drift, my boats moved great distances by themselves when the pins pulled out.

Edited by BenC

Well I'll offer this. You promulgate same tired, repetitive one dimensional arguments in so many threads it's entirely predictable. Sorry but perhaps being blunt is the kindest comment.

Well maybe come back with a reasonable argument instead of an insult...then I might agree with you...

Let's be fair about this even though it's a lot less fun. Living on a boat (paid mooring or not) is a cracking way to live and is pretty cheap. All of us tend to live up to our incomes these days and any major hassle, whether it's to do with subsidence hitting your house or your boat engine breaking is going to cause someone serious problems that could well take over a year to sort out financially. If your boat is your home it's even more critical as you haven't got the collateral to get a major loan, and you may well not have the income to service one anyway.

I have no idea of Kris' circumstances but in this case CRT have offered a way out that has to be taken. According to his post, his engine should be sorted soon so he should be OK - he's got a couple of months to do it in, and then a couple to start moving enough to convince CRT to leave him alone. And then if he needs more time in one place, it'll be winter mooring time again.

I suspect they'd rather have his licence money that the cost of S8ing him.

Let's be fair about this even though it's a lot less fun. Living on a boat (paid mooring or not) is a cracking way to live and is pretty cheap. All of us tend to live up to our incomes these days and any major hassle, whether it's to do with subsidence hitting your house or your boat engine breaking is going to cause someone serious problems that could well take over a year to sort out financially. If your boat is your home it's even more critical as you haven't got the collateral to get a major loan, and you may well not have the income to service one anyway.

I have no idea of Kris' circumstances but in this case CRT have offered a way out that has to be taken. According to his post, his engine should be sorted soon so he should be OK - he's got a couple of months to do it in, and then a couple to start moving enough to convince CRT to leave him alone. And then if he needs more time in one place, it'll be winter mooring time again.

I suspect they'd rather have his licence money that the cost of S8ing him.

Just a slight point the offer of a 3 month licence does not mean he can stay where he is until he gets his new licence. He needs to start moving tomorrow