So What To Do Now?

kris88

Featured Posts

A hypothetical question. If the 14 day law didn't exist and you could moor away from VM's for as long as you like (provided you pay your licence fee), would anyone here still object to what Kris has done?

I assume he's not on a VM so my answer to your question is he would not have done anything wrong so no one could object.

14 days most people would be looking to go to the waterpoint and services by then.

True, unless they were a dumper!

I assume he's not on a VM so my answer to your question is he would not have done anything wrong so no one could object.

So taking that logic through...the 14 day law is daft...

ISTR from the previous thread on this that it's actually a very common engine (Beta 43?) and I'm not surprised that CRT have taken this action.

Kriss just can't seem to accept that the world is the shape it is and that he needs to move if he wants to keep his boat.

If that is the case then I can't understand why it would take over 9 months to get a part.

I doubt much business would actually be lost though because few people would moor where CM'ers moor. As I keep saying you pay for what you get. Security, utilities, social clubs etc.

There exists MANY moorings without those services you list - they're not free though, there is a mooring fee; and moorings where the cost of mooring is disproportionate to those services you list. Thus, it illustrates that you don't fully appreciate the economics of this situation.

So taking that logic through...the 14 day law is daft...

NO it's not. Just answering your Hypo' question.
If 14 days was abolished then chaos would reign. As has been said boats would leave marinas the towpaths would fill for many miles around towns. The number of people living afloat would increase many fold. Edited by Theo

??

Apart from those who pay for very basic tow path long term moorings.

They could of course just move off them leaving a big hole in CRT coffers and who will fill that I wonder?

??

Apart from those who pay for very basic tow path long term moorings.

They could of course just move off them leaving a big hole in CRT coffers and who will fill that I wonder?

Exactly what I mean. Chaos from many directions.

just get a move on and stop prevaricating.

if you can't afford a motorised boat plus the cost of a mooring then bowhaul your boat 400m every day.

if you just want to stay put then expect to be evicted by section 8.

:banghead::tired:

Simple solution. 400 meters solves his problem. No parts needed and crt happy.

I do think dumpers are becoming a problem I have lost count of how many dumpers I have seen this year on 48 hour moorings including the one I am moored behind at present at The Bratch. Just do not understand why he/she could not move just a few hundred yards down the towpath on 14 day moorings, the only reason I can think of is no mooring rings.

Sorry have gone off topic.

NO it's not. Just answering your Hypo' question.

If 14 days was abolished then chaos would reign. As has been said boats would leave marinas the towpaths would fill for many miles around gowns. The number of people living afloat would increase many fold.

...the old 'the waterways will become a ghetto' argument again...Well, you might be right but it's unproven.

Very few people choose to live on a boat, they would rather take a council flat or even a hostel. Other than those I know who actually are live aboards, I've not met one person yet who would do it.

Edited by bassplayer

...the old 'the waterways will become a ghetto' argument again...Well, you might be right but it's unproven.

Very few people choose to live on a boat, they would rather take a council flat or even a hostel. Other than those I know who actually are live aboards, I've not met one person yet who would do it.

Why have you extrapolated "towpaths would fill for many miles around towns" into "very few people choose to live on a boat" - its not about liveaboard vs leisure use, its about the requirement of a home mooring/CCing vanishing overnight, thus dropping the arse out of demand for moorings.

Strange that lots of people come on CWDF because they are wanting to live aboard selling up bricks and mortar.

There exists MANY moorings without those services you list - they're not free though, there is a mooring fee; and moorings where the cost of mooring is disproportionate to those services you list. Thus, it illustrates that you don't fully appreciate the economics of this situation.

I suspect the vast majority of those have good access and more security being amongst other boaters (not isolated in the middle of the sticks). Winter moorings were a rip off for what you get. Maybe another solution is for CRT to make a sensible charge for mooring longer than 14 days rather than attempt to rip people off.

In answer to your last sentence, yes I am constrained by what I hear and see like you.

Yes it's unproven but very likelyto happen. Housing being what it is it wwould attract thousands of younger generation who can,'t afford to buy or rent. Even without these thousands the numbers leaving marinas etc would see licence fees doubling and marinas closing. Lots more consequences but I'll leave that to others, I type real slow.

I do think dumpers are becoming a problem I have lost count of how many dumpers I have seen this year on 48 hour moorings including the one I am moored behind at present at The Bratch....

Sorry have gone off topic.

Not really, it is probably the best reason I've heard so far which scuppers my idea...after all it's real, not speculation....

what an absolute load of horseshit!

Why?

I doubt many go through with it though, and, this is the main forum for those sort of enquiries. The real world is very different...

If folk would rather be in coucil flay or hostel why are so many boats coverging on London to live 3/4 abreast. They choose to put up with crt rules and move or not. If the 14 day were abolished all those put off buying a boat because of the 14 day rule would live afloat and converge on towns and city's all over the system.

If folk would rather be in coucil flay or hostel why are so many boats coverging on London to live 3/4 abreast. They choose to put up with crt rules and move or not. If the 14 day were abolished all those put off buying a boat because of the 14 day rule would live afloat and converge on towns and city's all over the system.

Because over 8 million people live in London. If I spoke to a thousand Londoners, yes there may well be a few who would think about living in a boat, look for a boat and actually go as far as doing it.

My view BTW on hot spots like London is to create more official paid moorings. Hopefully those on benefits could get financial help as they would if they lived in a council flat.

Why?

Very few people choose to live on a boat, they would rather take a council flat or even a hostel. Other than those I know who actually are live aboards, I've not met one person yet who would do it

To counter your generalisation above, 'you have not met 1person yet' I have 4 seperate people moored in front / behind me who have sold up bricks n mortar to live on a boat, also know of two more folks in the process of selling up and becoming full time live aboard!

So, to use your logic of 'in your experience'... In my experience..Loads of people are itching to move aboard!!

Care to post some actual proof that few people 'choose' to live on a boat apart from just your opinion?

Edited by andyberg

To counter your generalisation above, 'you have not met 1person yet' I have 4 seperate people moored in front / behind me who have sold up bricks n mortar to live on a boat, also know of two more folks in the process of selling up and becoming full time live aboard!

So, to use your logic of 'in your experience'... In my experience..Loads of people are itching to move aboard!!

Care to post some actual proof that few people 'choose' to live on a boat apart from just your opinion?

Looking at that from another angle, if we knocked on every door of every house in the country, and asked the direct question "would you like to live on the canal in a boat?" I wonder what percentage of the population would answer "yes?"