Featured Posts

So what should I do now? constructive comments only please

Canal & River Trust

Dear Sir/Madam

REMINDER TO RENEW YOUR LICENCE

RENEWAL No 114169

Boat MEDLOCK

Index No 76914

We wrote to you on the 2nd March 2015 as you have a Canal & River Trust boat licence and do not have a home mooring. This was part of an information drive to remind all continuous cruisers of the requirement to navigate in accordance with our Guidance for Boaters without a Home Mooring. In that letter we explained that if we had concerns about your past cruising pattern, we would get in touch with you before you need to renew your licence to let you know what happens next.

We are writing to you now as weve taken a look at your cruising pattern over the course of your current licence period. This review has suggested that your boat has hardly moved during your licence period. As we explained in our previous letter, this means were not satisfied that you intend to continuously cruise during your next licence period and we therefore do not consider it appropriate to renew your licence for a further 12 months.

What does this mean for you?

We would normally refuse to grant you a new licence. However, whilst boaters are getting used to this new approach, we are granting three-month licences to give those who barely move the chance to establish an acceptable cruising pattern. We are therefore offering you the opportunity to renew your licence on this basis.

If, after this three-month period, you still havent moved enough to meet the requirements of our Guidance, you will have to secure a home mooring before getting a new licence.

If you do establish an acceptable pattern of movement, we will renew your licence for six months so we can be sure that you do intend to continuously cruise throughout a longer licence period. If you continue to navigate in line with our Guidance over this extended period we will be happy to return you to a 12-month licence.

What do you need to do now?

Firstly, if you already have a home mooring or have made arrangements for one, then you can let us know by providing details of your mooring provider when applying for your licence online. You will then be able to renew your licence without any restrictions.

Alternatively, if you wish to renew your licence on the basis explained above (for three months only), please complete the online renewal form and indicate that you intend to continuously cruise. We will charge you the pro rata rate for three months, how much this will be is detailed below.

If you think that the decision is incorrect and that you feel you have been continuously cruising in line with our Guidance please get in touch with your local enforcement officer. You will need to tell us your reasons and we will ask you to provide evidence.

If you have any questions about this letter please contact your local enforcement officer who will be happy to talk to you about what it means. Contact details for all enforcement officers can be found online at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/enforcement. Alternatively, please give our customer services team a call on the number below.

The licence for this boat expires on the 31 July 2015 and your renewal notice is enclosed.

Two quick ways to renew your licence

Online at: https://licensing.canalrivertrust.org.uk/LongTermLicence/Renewal/114169

By telephone with customer service: 0303 040 4040

Have your paperwork ready!

Please check that all the information on the renewal notice is correct. Please could you :

Ensure that your boat safety certificate is valid. If you require a new one, please allow a minimum of 21 days after inspection before applying for a licence.

Update your insurance details. We do not need a copy of the certificate (we undertake random checks instead).

If your mooring site has changed please supply us with the new address / location.

Make any changes to correct the details shown about you, the licence you require, or the boat.

The amount that you will need to pay for your next licence depends on when we receive your correctly completed application (and any enclosures).

If you choose to renew your continuous cruiser licence for the probationary three month period the key dates and amounts are as follows:

Date we receive your application Amount due

Up to the start date of your new licence £203.26 (Early payment rate)*

Up until one month after the start date of your new licence £225.84 (Full fee)

One month or more after the start date of your new licence £375.84 (Full fee plus late payment charge)**

If you choose to change to a home mooring the key dates and amounts are as follows:

Date we receive your application Amount due

Up to the start date of your new licence £813.03 (Early payment rate)*

Up until one month after the start date of your new licence £903.37 (Full fee)

One month or more after the start date of your new licence £1,053.37 (Full fee plus late payment charge)**

*The early payment rate only applies if the correctly completed application (and any enclosures) is received by us on or before the licence start date. It does not apply if you pay by Direct Debit instalments.

** For applications received more than one month after the start date, an additional late payment charge of £150 is payable.

NB. A £7.50 charge will apply to all payments made by credit cards, but not debit cards.

In making your application you are confirming that you have read, understood and accept the licence terms and conditions. These are published online at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/licensing or you can request a copy from customer services.

Yours sincerely

Boat licensing Team

PO Box 162 Leeds LS9 1AX E customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk T 0303 040 4040

Mon to Fri, 8am to 6pm www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/licensing

Canal River Trust Twitter Facebook

Canal & River Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales with company number 7807276 and charity number 1146792 Registered office address First Floor North, Station House, 500 Elder Gate, Milton Keynes MK9 1BB.

Regards kris

Have you been moving and got a log of where you have been- if so, speak to them

If not -As the others have said

No he hasn't been moving. He said so in his other post on this topic.

Probably not what you want to hear Kris, but take the 3 month licence and start moving the boat or get a home mooring.

The letter makes it pretty clear what they expect of you.

• Greenie 1

There's realistically 2 choices:

1. Find a mooring NOW (as in, before existing licence expires/renewal of licence) that you can work on your boat and get it there.

2. Accept the 3 month licence and either 2a fix the boat PDQ then compliantly cruise or 2b secure a suitable mooring to continue working on the boat within that 3 months timeframe.

Is the differential cost of 3 month licence (pro-rata'd) HIGHER or LOWER than 3 month's mooring fees at a suitable mooring? I suspect it would be lower, so I'd say CRT are definitely doing you a financial favour here in offering you choice 2.

Edited by Paul C

It seems to be a very clearly written and fair letter to me. Assuming that you accept that you have not really been moving enough, you have 2 choices, start to move or get a home mooring. Of course if you have been moving around and the deficient logging process has not picked that up then you need to go back to them and try and correct that.

Hi Kris,

What sort of advice are you looking for? The content of the letter seems pretty straightforward to me.

Do you believe that they have got it wrong, and you have actually been moving within the rules?

Or, are you unclear about what they require from you?

Lucy

Were you hoping that one of us without any authority from CR&T was going to say something like .....

1) Don't worry, they never do anything.

2) Change the name of your boat to something beginning with "Z" likewise your own name, because they deal with these things alphabetically.

3) You're alright if you moor on flowing water because there is movement, and that's all they care about.

4) Tell them you have a home mooring, and just quote the lat. & long. from Google Earth of the fountains in Trafalgar Square.

5) Return their letter to them referring to your previous communication (non existent) and invoice them £75.

A really radical option would be to appreciate you licence was originally issued with conditions which you have chosen to ignore. Consequently you might want to consider towing the line, thus avoiding having to ask us (who do cough up) how you can continue extracting the urine.

So what should I do now? constructive comments only please

Kriss,

You had a warning three months ago, that you were being watched, and did nothing, you have now been told one month before renewal what is going to happen.

Simply comply for three months, get the next licence for six months and comply, get the next licence for twelve months and comply.

Was that constructive enough?

Kriss, is your boat moveable, either by its own power, or towing?

If so I as with others, see no alternative but to move it, in keeping with C&RT guidance, or to a home mooring.

I see no merit in trying to fight it, "The boater must satisfy the board that he will bona-fide for navigation during the licence" (or words to that effect in the 1995 statute)

The Trust have issued guidance as to what will satisfy the board, you either go with it, or get a home mooring.

Now if your boat is not moveable, then start talking to the trust, and hope for the best. A starting point may be get a home mooring, then later when the boat is moveable, take it there.

Bod

Hi Kris

Sorry but you need to accept the consequences of previous actions.

The downside is that you have to play by the rules.

On the plus side 9 months free towpath mooring is pretty reasonable of the trust.

I've been talking to the trust ever since I broke down in this spot. Ive let them know what has been happening ever since.

My intention never was to stay here this long.

The only thing I feel guilty of is maybe underestimating the amount of work involved in getting my boat running again.

So why am I on the naughty step, and having to renew my liscence every 3months under threat of non renewal and should feel grateful for the privlage.

My boat has insurance it has a current safety certificate and will be moving again shortly.

Why am I being made a criminal?

Regards kris

I've been talking to the trust ever since I broke down in this spot. Ive let them know what has been happening ever since.

My intention never was to stay here this long.

The only thing I feel guilty of is maybe underestimating the amount of work involved in getting my boat running again.

So why am I on the naughty step, and having to renew my liscence every 3months under threat of non renewal and should feel grateful for the privlage.

My boat has insurance it has a current safety certificate and will be moving again shortly.

Why am I being made a criminal?

Regards kris

If it were a simple breakdown then you'd be absolutely fine, other CCers have broken down, needed to stay longer than 14 days, but subsequently fixed their boats and continued moving again, with no penalty. The reason you're "on the naughty step" is because its taken 9 months, and any reasonableness test on how long one should be allowed to have for fixing their boat would find not in your favour. Therefore you can't claim the "or reasonable in the circumstances..." bit any more. Therefore you need to move - or get a mooring.

I think you should view the 3 month offer as a generous one, they could have simply refused to issue a CCer licence at all and the case against you would have had a lot of merit.