Lapworth "canal Rage"

Neil2

Featured Posts

Not comparable, but the other day I was passing a line of moored boats, some on pins, at tickover as usual. The boat behind shouted at me (politely) to "pull over we've got a train to catch!" I did pull in and they steamed past the floating wet dock, in which someone may well have been painting...

I think volockies should be there to help, not to "run the flight". Clearly the latter is not necessary because flights run quite happily when they are not there. Some (most) are great, a few like to carry on as though it's "my train set, and we'll play with it how I say!". Probably they are henpecked at home. Anyway, in the confrontation mentioned above we don't know what was said by whom, and although perhaps the boater was the first to lose her cool she might have been provoked.

Ed: except for staircase locks / Bratch etc where a bit of organisation is a good thing.

Depends on location. At Foxton, for example, traffic management is a jolly good idea to help avoid confrontations from folk who ignore 'the rules'.

I think our local volunteer lockies on the non tidal Trent do a sterling job and we always welcome their help. They are always a pleasure to work with and talk too and always friendly.

ETA: As is the CRT engineer who is seemingly stationed at Stamp End Lock this summer due to a fault with the top gate.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Have you ever bought me a pint ? then I will have a better opinion of the s police Is my space still available .

It's not a question of police of any kind, as I am sure you're aware. Simply, Atherton is my surname (and although it's also a place name, I don't think that place is on the canals).

If by "your space" you mean the solitary public mooring just South of Cropredy bridge, it was available for part of the weekend but was occupied by a long grey hire boat for the other part.

I must get a sign made that's a good spot I have my surname spelt so many different ways that when we say it we immediately spell it.

Smith, would it be?

All you have to do is to rename your boat "BW Work Boat 22m" and there's a ready-made mooring near the bridge just waiting for you.

I have seen 2 work boats in last week one 2 CRT men where touching up paintwork second one CRT man was doing some tidying up.

I find it so refreshing that there is nothing for them to be doing with these valuable assets.

Smith, would it be?

All you have to do is to rename your boat "BW Work Boat 22m" and there's a ready-made mooring near the bridge just waiting for you.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, and there wouldn't be a problem with overstaying either on your reserved mooring then.

Peter.

I have seen 2 work boats in last week one 2 CRT men where touching up paintwork second one CRT man was doing some tidying up.

I find it so refreshing that there is nothing for them to be doing with these valuable assets.

Yes, it's good to know that the canals in the area are in such excellent condition that the boats are not often needed. For example, none of the bottom gates leaks.

Oh, hang on...