What To Do?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I have a day hire boat with a mooring. Another boater asked for some help yesterday. They were moving off the boat into a house and wanted to use the mooring so they could load their stuff into a van. Their boat was rented but I'm not sure as to whether it was a proper agreement or not. The boater assured me that they would move it out of the way this afternoon, before my hire boat comes back in.

An hour to go the boat is still moored there, I've not seen a soul today.

I should add that the favour involved me moving my own boat which was nearby, and leaving the day boat overnight in a place where it's less than safe, a place often frequented by drunken youths. If the owner of this boat doesn't appear the only safe place I can leave my day boat is breasted up against my own boat. I'm on my own, doing this would be pretty hairy.

The boat on my mooring is 70 foot long. The only place I could move it to is the nearby water point.

I don't want to cause any trouble for anyone but I want my mooring back, today.

What would you do, any ideas?

i wonder if they have abandoned it after getting their items off? - can you breast the hire boat along theirs?

I'm inclined to agree. Looks as though the OP has been callously taken advantage of, unless the boaters had an accident or something while out.

If the former is true, I also doubt the owner knows the 'tenancy' has been terminated and probably has no idea where their boat is.

If CRT fail to contact the owner when you report it (they seem to have a track record of this), about the only thing you can do is line-handle or pole across to the towpath and moor it there, safe or not.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

There's no room to breast my day boat alongside the seemingly abandoned boat. I can't leave it on the towpath, can't access it, other boats are in the way. The only option would be to untie it and move by hand to the water point.

I have a day hire boat with a mooring. Another boater asked for some help yesterday. They were moving off the boat into a house and wanted to use the mooring so they could load their stuff into a van. Their boat was rented but I'm not sure as to whether it was a proper agreement or not. The boater assured me that they would move it out of the way this afternoon, before my hire boat comes back in.

An hour to go the boat is still moored there, I've not seen a soul today.

I should add that the favour involved me moving my own boat which was nearby, and leaving the day boat overnight in a place where it's less than safe, a place often frequented by drunken youths. If the owner of this boat doesn't appear the only safe place I can leave my day boat is breasted up against my own boat. I'm on my own, doing this would be pretty hairy.

The boat on my mooring is 70 foot long. The only place I could move it to is the nearby water point.

I don't want to cause any trouble for anyone but I want my mooring back, today.

What would you do, any ideas?

c'mon. You're running a day boat and breasting to another boat ( that you're familiar with) on your own is 'a bit hairy'? Are you in the right business?

If I hired your boat is expect you, at last resort, to help in a difficult situation. Do you have the skills for this?

As for your dilemma. the favour-asker is pushing it a bit but these things happen. breast him to you so your day boat goes on its mooring. That's the important bit.

c'mon. You're running a day boat and breasting to another boat ( that you're familiar with) on your own is 'a bit hairy'? Are you in the right business?

If I hired your boat is expect you, at last resort, to help in a difficult situation. Do you have the skills for this?

As for your dilemma. the favour-asker is pushing it a bit but these things happen. breast him to you so your day boat goes on its mooring. That's the important bit.

It's a little difficult to explain but what you suggest isn't possible without the 70 foot boat overlapping onto yet another boat that is moored in what is a winding hole. Plus my day boat would be blocked in.

Report this stranded boat to CRT. Ask or tell CRT where you can within reason relocate the boat. Give the boat's information to CRT. They hopefully will contact the owner and you will also have agreed with CRT the movement. The day boat should go back on its mooring. The stranded boat should got on the next safest place, possibly the mooring your boat is in. Your boat, you pick how to safely secure a place. But I think, tiresome as it may be, find an alternative mooring for your boat. The longest day, light should be in your favour.

You're a Business !,

Charge for mooring at a high Daily rate, Bill must be settled before moving, You could end up with another Hire boat !

Ha

Report this stranded boat to CRT. Ask or tell CRT where you can within reason relocate the boat. Give the boat's information to CRT. They hopefully will contact the owner and you will also have agreed with CRT the movement. The day boat should go back on its mooring. The stranded boat should got on the next safest place, possibly the mooring your boat is in. Your boat, you pick how to safely secure a place. But I think, tiresome as it may be, find an alternative mooring for your boat. The longest day, light should be in your favour.

Thanks, I think contacting CRT is the answer. Unfortunately the mooring my own boat is on is only 45 feet long, no good for a 70 foot boat.

I find it hard to believe that you are on a canal with no public towpath or anywhere at all to dump this offending boat!

Where does your hire boat go when it's out? Use your own boat to tow the offending boat a mile or so to somewhere else perhaps...

Or as Paul says, get hiring it out for as long as it takes for the owners to show up :D

Or when your hire boat gets back, could you use that to tow it away to a quieter bit of towpath?

Has this boat a name? Perhaps someone might recognise it.

You say you don,t want to cause any trouble. You are the one having the trouble. Move the bloody thing anywhere and get your mooring back.

Did you see what they unloaded. It was,t stolen and they were stripping it, hope not.

They didn't show up. My day hire boat is now breasted up against my own. It's not too bad really, I can push it over the other side when it goes out, and it's secure here. I'll contact CRT if they haven't showed up by the morning.

They weren't stealing from the boat, it was a mother with 3 young children.

I've been duped, but no big problem. I just hope the owner turns up within the next 12 days, wouldn't want to be booked for overstaying when I have no option!

If no-one turns up to shift the boat, I'd move it to the water point. It'll annoy enough people to get CRT to do something about it and if you're running a business you need your proper mooring back. And you really don't want any more hassle with CRT yourself as far as the overstaying stuff goes. Alternatively, shift it the other side of the canal and moor it on the towpath. It's a shame when you try and be helpful and basically get ripped off, but that's what some people do. There again, if it's a single parent (you didn't mention a father) with three young kids to look after, how was she going to move the boat once she'd moved into a house with them?

I imagine the extent of her responsibility is phoning the "landlord" of the boat to let him/her know she's now off it, cleared her stuff, its been dumped at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and here's the keys back. The owner may (you'd think) come and get the boat and move it somewhere else.

She turned up half an hour ago. All joy and happiness she was. I bit my tongue, just told her she'd caused me some inconvenience. She apologised then moved her boat. I'd help someone again but really, her new house is less than 5 minutes walk from here, she could have popped down, or asked someone to come down with a short message or something. I've done 3 lots of boat moving and felt a bit hassled earlier, she could have been a bit more thoughtful to a stranger who did her a favour. Anyway, done with now.

• Greenie 2

Well, there's two things. She's been more than a bit thoughtless, but then she's had three kids to look after and almost anything can happen when you've got a young family. But she did come back, even if it was hours late. But. You've been generous, helpful and behaved in the way I think any of us would wish to have done in the circumstances. Almost every time you do a favour for someone, you end up the worse off in some way or other, but then once in a while you don't. And we all need help from time to time (especially if you're old and decrepit like me, and, in fact, my boat).

So I don't care if she didn't behave terribly well, I suspect every one of us on here is pleased that you did what you did, so we'll say it for her. Thanks.

this

You've been generous, helpful and behaved in the way I think any of us would wish to have done in the circumstances. Almost every time you do a favour for someone, you end up the worse off in some way or other, but then once in a while you don't. And we all need help from time to time (especially if you're old and decrepit like me, and, in fact, my boat).

So I don't care if she didn't behave terribly well, I suspect every one of us on here is pleased that you did what you did, so we'll say it for her. Thanks.

Edited by Dave Clinton

It's true that often doings favour for someone does bite you on the bum, I experienced this when I (at 69) offered to take 250kg of coal across our basin for someone, 4 bags at a time. Next time they had coal they expected me to do it for them, I eventually said NO the third time. Likewise I often take delivery of parcels for those at work, one couple never come for them so the parcel is cluttering up my boat for a week sometimes, their excuses are"oh we were tired" or "oh we've been so busy" After a few times like this I no longer take any mail for them.

Yes we should all help others out but we should also make sure we are not being taken advantage of.

Phil

She turned up half an hour ago. All joy and happiness she was. I bit my tongue, just told her she'd caused me some inconvenience. She apologised then moved her boat. I'd help someone again but really, her new house is less than 5 minutes walk from here, she could have popped down, or asked someone to come down with a short message or something. I've done 3 lots of boat moving and felt a bit hassled earlier, she could have been a bit more thoughtful to a stranger who did her a favour. Anyway, done with now.

Excellent. Greenie for your patience and tolerance and being general helpful.

I was convinced the boat had been abandoned on your mooring for the duration. Pleased to be proved wrong!

Ricco; i know you both reasonably well, the Mum having three young children, having to sort furniture etc out when the kids are back ai school tomorrow probably got waylaid. However, I will be interested to gear how long it takes the landlord to retrieve said boat and are those two boats still moored in the basin from two weeks ago?