Enforcement

onionbargee

Featured Posts

I'm hearing some horror stories already about the new constant cruising enforcement. What I will be doing in the future will be getting a written record of whether my movements are acceptable, if I have to overstay for any reason I will get permission, and their opinion on how far i need to travel to satisfy CRT. So I know exactly where I stand. Everything will be copied and filed away just in case.

I would encourage every other CC'er to cover themselves by emailing their enforcement officer if they are in any doubt.

I don't think they will tell you if your plan is acceptable. They wouldn't when I asked, having myself come onto their 'radar'.

I've just received a new 12 month renewal invitation, it appears that my range of 29 miles is acceptable to them, for now at least.

I don't think they will tell you if your plan is acceptable. They wouldn't when I asked, having myself come onto their 'radar'.

I've just received a new 12 month renewal invitation, it appears that my range of 29 miles is acceptable to them, for now at least.

If you keep going up and down Bosley, it certainly ought to be.

......... if I have to overstay for any reason I will get permission, ................

Isn't that only what you would do anyway? Perhaps some people have been overstaying without permission or notification and that is what has been causing them to check people keep to the rules ;-)

Edited by Thorfast

I'm hearing some horror stories already about the new constant cruising enforcement. What I will be doing in the future will be getting a written record of whether my movements are acceptable, if I have to overstay for any reason I will get permission, and their opinion on how far i need to travel to satisfy CRT. So I know exactly where I stand. Everything will be copied and filed away just in case.

I would encourage every other CC'er to cover themselves by emailing their enforcement officer if they are in any doubt.

But surely, CaRT don't know what the distance you need to cover in a given time period is.

But surely, CaRT don't know what the distance you need to cover in a given time period is.

Didn't they recently give a mileage/ range. From memory it was very small amount that seemed to be very small for a c/ cruiser but it's their show so they make the rules.

• Greenie 1

its a joke, we were moored on the end of a very lo.g line of boats all on a boat club mooring, sat on towpath watching laddo come down line checking licence an mooring permits, got to end boat before us, popped his laptop thing in his bag an took off on his pushbike without a look at our boat.

Hmm how long before compulsory gps smart trackers must be fitted to all narrowboats?

I can see pro's and con's for gps trackers (I'm not going to go into the rights or wrongs)

but on a technical side there would be a few unanswered questions.

how would a rarely used boat keep one powered?

since they would have to be reporting in via mobile networks how would they handle areas with no coverage

where would you install one on a boat? (outside could be tampered with / inside would struggle for signals)

how would you handle the tin foil hat brigade?

if some sort of electronic tracking becomes necessary I would suggest using and RFID based system using long range tags (can be read from around 6-8 feet away)

these could be read by a CRT employee (while taking part in the tour de towpath if needed) or by automatic readers placed at strategic bridges / locks etc.

obviously any system would be open to abuse since gps sensors or rfid tags could be removed and moved elsewhere on the network leaving the boat behind

its a joke, we were moored on the end of a very lo.g line of boats all on a boat club mooring, sat on towpath watching laddo come down line checking licence an mooring permits, got to end boat before us, popped his laptop thing in his bag an took off on his pushbike without a look at our boat.

But maybe that was the reason for his visit, to check what boats were on their home moorings.

If all volunteer lock keepers all reported the boats passed through the locks they were working that would also improve sightings of boats moving.

Didn't they recently give a mileage/ range. From memory it was very small amount that seemed to be very small for a c/ cruiser but it's their show so they make the rules.

No, that isn't so . . . . Parliament makes the rules but C&RT choose to disregard the ones that don't suit them, as did their predecessors.

In pursuit of their unfathomable agenda, they also disregard the findings of the Courts and the directions of Judges, in some instances to the point of contempt. Recent events have demonstrated that even criminal action is included in their repertoire.

Their conduct should be of great concern to the public in general, who are in fact the owners of most of the canals, the Nationalised artificial waterways of this country that C&RT are making such a poor job of caring for.

It isn't C&RT's 'show' . . . . . it's your's, and mine, and everyone else's.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Again, from memory, haven't they come up with a variety of distances, possibly dependent on whether or not the "distance adviser" had a row with his/her OH prior to coming to work.

As for it being their show and therefore they make the rules, that maybe so but, under the relevant regulations do they have the authority to make the rules concerning distance travelled? And, if they don't have the authority, does anyone other than boaters give a damn that sections of the boating community are being subjected to harassment and intimidation?

• Greenie 1

And, if they don't have the authority, does anyone other than boaters give a damn that sections of the boating community are being subjected to harassment and intimidation?

No they don't, and what's more neither does a significant proportion of the boating community if this forum is anything to go by........

And the next rebuff will be, if your not doing anything wrong why are you worried about being tracked?

I can't describe how much I hate that comment

Me too. Almost as much as I hate what inevitably gets posted next, in response.

"First they came for... etc"

But not quite!

I think in the same position I would do the same or similar although I think it will be difficult to know exactly where you stand at any one time but collecting as much evidence of your movements and gaining permission to stay etc. is reasonable in the present circumstances.