Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally - 27Th & 28Th June.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Engine = Skandia

Lorries (I think!) usually always = Scania

The "d" makes all the difference, I think.

It does. I had not studied the lorries closely enough to learn their spelling, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the link Ray but those are for 2" exhausts!

The exhausts on Reg and Ling are 4"-5" in diameter so I doubt those baffles would have much effect!

In addition being two strokes it is important not to restrict the exhaust path or the scavenging effect the two-stroke cycle relies upon will, I suspect, be affected adversely.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I'm uploading some videos at present to https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdABqbxJeJtmeKD5WvAKLSFAI

These include Reginald, the steamers, Gorse, Pelican, Ibex, Victoria, Madeley, Ling Laurel and Clover & Northolt.

More to come over the next few days.

Edit to add my apolgies for the wind noises !

Great vids? thanks for posting as we had to leave early on Sunday for work ? so missed most of the parade.

Great vids, many thanks!

The best one is the one of REGINALD, obviously.... :D

Did you juxtapose it with LING deliberately, being such similar engines? I was surprised how much quieter LING's early Bolinder was compared to REGINALD's Skandia. I never got to talk to the owner of LING about it, disappointingly.

Quiet??? You not seen the posts about Ling and night boating and the fact I should fit a silencer or is one being sarcastic. I agree as I'd of liked a proper look at your engine.

Quiet??? You not seen the posts about Ling and night boating and the fact I should fit a silencer or is one being sarcastic. I agree as I'd of liked a proper look at your engine.

Nope, not seen the thread. Gotta link?

Reginald is INSANELY loud. I wear good quality earplugs and still my tinitus rages tonight...

The exhausts on Reg and Ling are 4"-5" in diameter so I doubt those baffles would have much effect!

In addition being two strokes it is important not to restrict the exhaust path or the scavenging effect the two-stroke cycle relies upon will, I suspect, be affected adversely.

I'd say these would either be blown 20 feet in the air or reduced to scrap very quickly

Nope, not seen the thread. Gotta link?

Reginald is INSANELY loud. I wear good quality earplugs and still my tinitus rages tonight...

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=20258

Reginald seemed quieter than ling on tick over hence my holding my ear as struggling to her over the bolinder

Hmmm that linki takes me to

Mike J.E.W's

profile page...

Yes Reg is tolerable, almost normal on tickover, but at cruising speed...

Put it this way, peeps said they could hear me coming for 20 minutes before I passed!

P.S. Will be back on Reg at Braunston on Friday night, are you still around? Come and have a look

and a beer!

May well do depends on many things most important how my fiance is doing that day regards weather and general feeling being 8 months pregnant but ling is just outside braunston facing towards Sutton stop

Mike J.E.W's

profile page...

Put it this way, peeps said they could hear me coming for 20 minutes before I passed!

Well the night jason took ling we jumped off in Nuneaton and could hear her for 20 mins after and that's through the houses, flats, yobs, cars, motor bikes and all with Jason taking his time. Most I been told is 40 mins from when first heard

Mike J.E.W's

profile page...

If you serch ling on here its the second post after this thread

I was speaking to you at the festival about exhaust baffles and referred to my father's moped, which used an exhaust baffle, and which was coincidently a 2-stroke also. I suspect that perhaps 3 of the baffles shown, held together temporarily at first to experiment on their effectiveness, may, just possibly, do the job

I was speaking to you at the festival about exhaust baffles and referred to my father's moped, which used an exhaust baffle, and which was coincidently a 2-stroke also. I suspect that perhaps 3 of the baffles shown, held together temporarily at first to experiment on their effectiveness, may, just possibly, do the job

I think you will find that any exhaust that is not as they say "straight through"fitted to any make of 2 stroke semi diesel will very quickly block it's self with oily carbon gunge which as well as having an effect on the performance, & absorption types will quickly( gunge up) will if the motor is worked hard, more than likely result in an exhaust " chimney" fire the heat from the exhaust turning the gunge into glowing red lumps of sooty carbon,"ah la" house chimney fires, & I can tell you from experience it's not good when you are stood a few feet behind a 5 inch pipe blasting it all into the air & you are being showered with the likes of hail stones except they are red hot soot lumps + a smoke screen that cuts the visibility to zero.The Seffle I had in my boat had a works extension silencer fitted to the water cooled part that extended it to within 2 or so inches of the "Engine Hole" roof The exhaust note was still as such that the lock keeper at the bottom of Buckby ( They had them in those days) could hear the exhaust note before I got to Brockhole Spinney When I arrived at the bottom lock his first words were" I heard you a coming tother side o the spinney " I guess they were made in the day when noise was not considered a problem & to quieten them to today's acceptable decibels would more than likely kill the performance stone dead. As an aside a cutter was an absolute must on the exhaust, other wise the exhaust blast would bring down muck & even loose mortar from bridge holes & once going through Bliss worth tunnel with out one, the other end I looked like a chimney sweep & there was an inch or so of assorted building material on the cabin top.

As an aside a cutter was an absolute must on the exhaust, other wise the exhaust blast would bring down muck & even loose mortar from bridge holes & once going through Bliss worth tunnel with out one, the other end I looked like a chimney sweep & there was an inch or so of assorted building material on the cabin top.

Yes, I was thinking that about Reg.

I'm not sure I'd do Blisworth in it with nothing to split that exhaust.

Although I have found the amount of muck you bring down off Blisworth depends very much on recent weather history. Having been through several;times with a pipe with no cutter, and by then thinking it OK to do so, I then had a trip where I emerged looking like a Black & White Minstrel. I now always use a pipe with a cutter on!

Yes, I was thinking that about Reg.

I'm not sure I'd do Blisworth in it with nothing to split that exhaust.

Although I have found the amount of muck you bring down off Blisworth depends very much on recent weather history. Having been through several;times with a pipe with no cutter, and by then thinking it OK to do so, I then had a trip where I emerged looking like a Black & White Minstrel. I now always use a pipe with a cutter on!

The tunnel saga was I had a cutter when I entered the southern portal but before the first air shaft the engine note changed, & on exiting the northern end there was no cutter & i appeared as described. What length pipe were you using, ? the one fitted to the Seffle at the time was approx 10inches

Edited by X Alan W

The tunnel saga was I had a cutter when I entered the southern portal but before the first air shaft the engine note changed, & on exiting the northern end there was no cutter & i appeared as described. What length pipe were you using, ? the one fitted to the Seffle at the time was approx 10inches

Just for fun - the cutter on Owl in full use at Buckby bottom on Monday afternoon.

19091117979_f579b62104_z.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

Just for fun - the cutter on Owl in full use at Buckby bottom on Monday afternoon.

Hi,

A VERY rare picture, according to KK, 'Owl' never smokes....................................

The group of cottages in the background are real architectural 'gems'.

Thanks.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Hi,

A VERY rare picture, according to KK, 'Owl' never smokes....................................

Thanks.

Leo.

To be fair it was on startup after being breasted up to Sculptor down the flight.

Hi,

Thanks.

Leo.

I should perhaps explain. We came back from Braunston with Sculptor and I'd turned the Kelvin off when we came down Buckby tied together.

Kathryn snapped the rare couple of seconds of smokiness as the engine started up in the bottom lock.

Eta Kathryn beat me to it!

Edited by koukouvagia