Vanilla Cream Custard Slices

carlt

Featured Posts

Please note this is not a recipe for any lightweight pastry munchers. This is serious extreme hardcore Gak territory. I accept no responsibility for lost buttons, queasiness or 'mr creosote' situations. Only the most experienced gak-monsters need apply.

You will need:-

250g caster sugar

175g cornflour

1.125l(2pints) milk

6 egg yolks

125g unsalted butter

500g puff pastry

1 large tub (568ml) double cream

6tsp good quality vanilla extract. If you want to use essence then go and buy gloop cakes from tescos.

Icing sugar.

This custard is hard work to keep smooth.

Combine the sugar, cornflour and 250ml of the milk. Beat until smooth, add the yolks and beat again.

Heat the remaining milk until coming to a boil and, off the flame, whisk in the cornflour mix.

Bring back to the boil, beating furiously until it thickens, to ensure it stays smooth.

Beat in the butter, tip into a big dish, cover with clingfilm and leave to cool.

Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas mark 6 (or the usual boaty stove guess)

Line a large 24cm sq cake tin with paper or foil.

roll out two 28cm square sheets of pastry (it shrinks in the baking), place on two foil lined baking sheets, prick all over with a fork and bake for 20-25 mins, until golden. If it's brown it's done, if it's black it's buggered.

Beat a third each of the custard, cream and vanilla until smooth, then add the rest and repeat.

Cut a square of pastry to fit snugly in the tin, cover with custard, then trim and firmly press the other pastry sheet on top.

Chill. Whilst chilling lick the bowls. It's the only way I can wait for this obviously cruel process.

Dredge with Icing sugar and cut into pieces:-

12 for the hardcore types (6 for Bones), 16 pieces for normal mortals and 24 for WIMPS.

Eat with a spoon

Hey Carl,

I can top that - literally.

Take the end result of your recipe, then gently heat a jar of dulce de leche so that it is pourable. Drizzle carefully over the vanilla slices. Dust with icing sugar. For even more gak value, top this with some melted plain chocolate drizzled over too.

One day I'll add the triple chocolate cheesecake recipe ..........

Jill

Hey Carl,

I can top that - literally.

Take the end result of your recipe, then gently heat a jar of dulce de leche so that it is pourable. Drizzle carefully over the vanilla slices. Dust with icing sugar. For even more gak value, top this with some melted plain chocolate drizzled over too.

One day I'll add the triple chocolate cheesecake recipe ..........

Jill

I can go along with the dulce de leche but I think the chocolate would add a bit too much refinement. Maybe a bar of Green & Blacks with a strong black coffee afterwards to prepare yourself for dessert.

What exactly is a gak?

Janet

Gak: adj: Sticky, sweet dessert along the lines of death by chocolate, trifles, profiteroles. Also gak bars (like mars, marathon but not kit kat) for a quick fix.

Gak can be eaten as a starter, main course or dessert.