Bath To Bristol. Helpful Hints?

Theo

Featured Posts

We will be taking the Avon to Bristol soon. Any particular things to consider? I already have the anchor sorted.

Nick

We will be taking the Avon to Bristol soon. Any particular things to consider? I already have the anchor sorted.

Nick

Avon calling unsure.png ? You should be quite safe in an Avon rubber dinghy, unless something pops it, which the anchor might do.

- you won't need an anchor as long as you turn right at Netham Lock. rolleyes.gif

- closing time at Netham (and entry to Bristol Harbour) is currently 8pm.

- watch out for semi-submerged trees between Hanham Lock and Netham Lock (because it is not actually Bristol Harbour, and is outside the limits of CRT, it is a bit of a no-man's land and is not maintained).

- watch out for the Bath rowers below Bath Weston Lock for about 2 miles (why don't they use reversing mirrors?).

................. oh, and watch out for messy lock beams at Saltford Lock - the Jolly Sailor pub staff don't clean up the top lock gates after their patrons have abused them; I always have to wash my hands after passing through.

Edited by Murflynn

I've only done the trip once, but the bit I found most daunting was the deep lock leaving Bath. I think it's the last one before you go out on the river, but there may be one more.

I was moving the boat on my own and although there are cables in the lock walls to put your ropes through, I decided not to use them as I'd never seen them used and had visions of the ropes getting stuck somewhere on the way down. So I just did it slowly without any ropes using the draw of the water leaving the lock to keep my bow near the bottom gates. You wouldn't want to get caught on that sill!

Bath%20and%20North%20East%20Somerset-201

I don't suppose this would be as easy on a narrowboat as you might end up in the middle of the lock unable to retrieve the boat!

Bath%20and%20North%20East%20Somerset-201

This may be starting the obvious but the tidal section extends above hanham all the way to Keynsham on spring tides.

I think nicholsons warns you of this but we met a couple of boats last year around spring tide time who didn't know.

As always, speak to the lock keepers (Netham) and they will advise on timings

I didn't know where the tidal section began. I got to keynsham around 4pm and breasted up next to a boat on the pontoons, looking forward to a pint in the pub which was buzzing in the nice weather. I phoned the Gloucester pilots to confirm my passage to sharpness in a couple of days time, but they told me the weather was deteriorating rapidly and I'd have to be in Portishead by the next day to pick up my pilot, otherwise it could be a week or more before I could make the crossing.

So I untied the boat and made my way to Netham and Bristol harbour. I didn't even think about the tide and the Netham lockkeeper never mentioned it when I called him from Keynsham. Was I just lucky with the timing?

Edited by blackrose

I think that I will look up the tide tables at Bristol. We can always entertain ourselves at Bath until the neaps approach.

N

Bristol Avon - Check

Warwickshire Avon - Cross

Hampshire Avon - Cross

River OK, then.

I have the times for springs and neaps so that seems to be sorted.

Next query: Do I need to book a mooring? Someone said that they are expensive. How expensive?

I have done some googling but seem to be enmired in treacle ATM.

TIA

N

Check opening times with the Netham Lock Keeper. The first time I did the trip we rounded the 180 degree bend and were pleased to see the gates open at both ends of the lock. We were swept rapidly through the lock and full reverse failed to get us in to a mooring space. Collision avoided but, justified, seriously concerned looks from the moored (GRP) boats. Managed to moor up beyond the row of boats with little damage!.

Lock keeper informed us that he had only just forced the gates open so the flow was strong. We could have carried on and obtained the licence from the Port Authority.

On the next trip we had to get the licence from the Port Authority office (I cannot remember why). One of their boats came alongside and asked to see our licence - a new experience for me, keeping within hearing distance of another boat despite my noisy diesel. We were directed to a mooring and I dropped off the crew (wife +2 children) then moored the boat and kicked my heels for half an hour whilst they were given a free tour of the hydraulic systems.

Otherwise it was an uneventful trip except heading west I dropped my canopy to pass under the swing bridge. On the way back I followed other boats through the bridge but it started to close before I was through. I guess it was the bridge operator's way of telling me that I should have made the appropriate horn signal or VHF/mobile 'phone call.

Yes, Bath deep lock is like being in a washing machine and it is a long way up or down the ladders. I think there is usually a lock-keeper around who, I hope, would help a single-hander or at least pair them up with another narrowboat.

Enjoy, the Avon is not picturesque and the many supermarket bags hung in the trees/bushes after a flood make it even less so. Bristol Floating Harbour is brilliant, allow a couple of days. When you want to visit an attraction, pub', restaurant or shop you can go by boat. Or walk to Clifton suspension bridge and back to the harbour then take the Waterbus back to near your mooring.

Some of my comments may be out-of-date and mis-remembered. Google 'bristol harbour authority'.

Alan

We went to Bristol in September. The lock keeper at Netham said he was being made redundant on 1 November and that the lock would in future be unmanned but monitored by CCTV by the harbour masters office in Bristol. Mooring fees would be collected in the harbour by the harbour masters launch.

Things might not have happened but given the extremely good deal he did on the licence he wasn't a happy man.

We went to Bristol in September. The lock keeper at Netham said he was being made redundant on 1 November and that the lock would in future be unmanned but monitored by CCTV by the harbour masters office in Bristol. Mooring fees would be collected in the harbour by the harbour masters launch.

Things might not have happened but given the extremely good deal he did on the licence he wasn't a happy man.

In that case I wonder why they have recently (I believe in 2014) erected a huge sign saying all vessels must stop at Netham and report to the lockie?

Bureaucratic confusion I guess.

Shame. Nice man who really enjoyed his job.

I wonder what the response times would be to an emergency at Netham, it's half an hour by fast launch from the harbour master's office.

The last time I went through I woke him by phoning at 6am, when he complained I pointed out he had complained last time because I didn't.