Blacking near Reading

Featured Posts

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for blacking a 53 narrowboat near Reading? The marina I'm in can do this, and while its the most convienient option, the cost was more than I expected.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for blacking a 53 narrowboat near Reading? The marina I'm in can do this, and while its the most convienient option, the cost was more than I expected.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm guessing you're at the hugely expensive Thames & Kennet Marina? There are a few other places you could try. Better Boating have a crane and if you wanted to DIY it, you could do it there. I'm not sure if they will do it for you, but you could ask - it's certainly convenient. Reading Marine in Aldermaston can certainly do it (0118 9173666). But if they have the facility to do it, I reckon Newbury Boat Company is probably your best bet - they're sound people and are not likely to overcharge you. They're on 01635 42884.

Cheers,

Duncan.

Hi Simon,

I'm guessing you're at the hugely expensive Thames & Kennet Marina? There are a few other places you could try. Better Boating have a crane and if you wanted to DIY it, you could do it there. I'm not sure if they will do it for you, but you could ask - it's certainly convenient. Reading Marine in Aldermaston can certainly do it (0118 9173666). But if they have the facility to do it, I reckon Newbury Boat Company is probably your best bet - they're sound people and are not likely to overcharge you. They're on 01635 42884.

Cheers,

Duncan.

Thanks, I'll probably go with All Aboard in Newbury (http://www.aamarine.co.uk/ ).

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, Cinimod said:

A quick reopening to this topic - who is currenlty recommended near Reading for a 40ft Springer - thanks :)

Definitely not a recommendation because I have never used them but Better Boating at Caversham have a crane and work on narrow boats. Not sure if Thames & Kennet marina does such jobs. Ask Caversham Boat Services because I think the have a slipway and operate a couple of narrow boats.

Its not Thames & Kennet that does the blacking but "Butcher Marin"  0780 191981.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Definitely not a recommendation because I have never used them but Better Boating at Caversham have a crane and work on narrow boats. Not sure if Thames & Kennet marina does such jobs. Ask Caversham Boat Services because I think the have a slipway and operate a couple of narrow boats.

• 11 months later...

I can definitely recommend Aldermaston Wharf for Blacking and craning.   Careful and considerate craning and a good, thorough job that will last for years.   I monitored the work closely but didn't need to as Dave was way ahead of me regarding fixing the issues before I ever got to mention them!   Had bottom plate new anodes, bow thruster tube, weed hatch and tunnel bands redone.  Cost about £1800 inc VAT then.  This was done in 2020 and I'm heading off up north this and next year.   I am most reluctant to head north without revisiting Aldermaston for a 'wash and brush up' as I know it will be done properly there.   No aspiration on other boatyards, but if you've got a good one, stick with it is my motto!