Sold My Scrap Batteries

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Just as a point of interest, I disposed of an old washing machine whilst in Birmingham and took it to the scrap yard on a trolley as I don't have a car. There was quite a palaver involved since they insisted that they needed to take my car registration number for their records. Eventually accepted a variety of proofs of ID and paid by bank transfer. This isn't a complaint as I do know what they are up against and they are expected to make every effort possible not to buy stolen scrap metal.

Nobody asked for my car reg when they paid me for my old batteries - just proof of ID.

There was quite a palaver involved since they insisted that they needed to take my car registration number for their records.

I was turned away from a scrapyard in Brentford for not arriving by car. Firstly, for not having a registration number, and then because "health and safety" prevented me walking 50 metres across their otherwise empty open yard as it was meant for vehicles..

Edited by eggpie

I was turned away from a scrapyard in Brentford for not arriving by car. Firstly, for not having a registration number, and then because "health and safety" prevented me walking 50 metres across their otherwise empty open yard as it was meant for vehicles..

Being down south they'd have probably wanted to charge you 40p a kilo to take them off you anyway...

It seems to me that what this discussion boils down to is that the real value of a scrap battery increases according to its location, as it gets closer to a scrapyard that can recycle it. Logically there should be various canal-side businesses buying them at an appropriate local price lower than 40p per kilo, who'd each have an arrangement to transport them to a local scrap merchant, or to send them on up the canal to someone who can. This doesn't have to be centrally organised, anyone can set up their own arrangement then offer their own price.

If there's an area which lacks a suitable local scrap merchant, and perhaps this could be the case in some parts of the south, the realistic value of a scrap battery there could be zero or even negative, meaning that Junior or any other roving trader with a bit of spare space could make a few extra bob transporting the things.

even now some car places will try charging you for disposing of batteriesOne thing though the scrap value of my car is probably more than I could sell it for

Back in the 70s we used to advertise '£1 for your old battery when you buy a new one'. Once we had enough it was down to The 600 group in Northampton, onto the weighbridge, unload and back on the weighbridge. Got paid in cash those days.

It seems to me that what this discussion boils down to is that the real value of a scrap battery increases according to its location, as it gets closer to a scrapyard that can recycle it. Logically there should be various canal-side businesses buying them at an appropriate local price lower than 40p per kilo, who'd each have an arrangement to transport them to a local scrap merchant, or to send them on up the canal to someone who can. This doesn't have to be centrally organised, anyone can set up their own arrangement then offer their own price.

If there's an area which lacks a suitable local scrap merchant, and perhaps this could be the case in some parts of the south, the realistic value of a scrap battery there could be zero or even negative, meaning that Junior or any other roving trader with a bit of spare space could make a few extra bob transporting the things.

If you do this with a vehicle you need a permit to carry scrap, I dont know if the same is true if you use a boat

you need a permit to carry scrap, don't know if you need the same for a boat http://www.rugby.gov.uk/news/article/1051/man_fined_950_for_transporting_scrap_metal_without_a_licence

Edited by ditchcrawler

If you do this with a vehicle you need a permit to carry scrap, I dont know if the same is true if you use a boat

you need a permit to carry scrap, don't know if you need the same for a boat http://www.rugby.gov.uk/news/article/1051/man_fined_950_for_transporting_scrap_metal_without_a_licence

It's not a big cost iirc.

Just looked it up for three years it's about 150 squid.

Edited by mark99

Does anyone know of a place on/near the GU between Uxbridge & Milton Keynes that take old batteries? We don't have a car, so Dave would be walking, using our little trolley to take our 4.

Would love to be rid of them and for £30 - £40 I might just be able to convince him it would be worth the effort frusty.gif

ASM metal recycling , Next to the towpath at Langley. You can tie up on the towpath, and go though the gate through the industrial estate.

It's not a big cost iirc.

Just looked it up for three years it's about 150 squid.

Ah but the licence is only the start of it. Check out the paper trail needed to be kept by anyone registering for the licence for every waste transaction.

Overwhelming! And a £5k fine if you get it wrong. AND the council jobsworths are on your case constantly because you were stoopid enough to register as a waste carrier... so I'm told by peeps who registered.

Does anyone know of a place on/near the GU between Uxbridge & Milton Keynes that take old batteries? We don't have a car, so Dave would be walking, using our little trolley to take our 4.

Would love to be rid of them and for £30 - £40 I might just be able to convince him it would be worth the effort frusty.gif

Not sure if the scrap yard at new bradwell takes then? They are just over bridge 74. I am in the area with a car so give us a shout if you need a lift.

• Greenie 2

Would love to be rid of them and for £30 - £40 I might just be able to convince him it would be worth the effort :banghead:

It's a shame some of the fuel boats couldn't offer such a service., maybe one of them could?

Re the licence, I'm guessing that you only need one if you expect payment for the batteries, otherwise our local council recycling centre must be making a mint in fines out of the poor saps who drop theirs off.......oh hang on though, this IS the council. 'Spect a summons will be in the post for the last lot I dropped off then. Bugga, dint fink that through, did I.

Re the licence, I'm guessing that you only need one if you expect payment for the batteries, otherwise our local council recycling centre must be making a mint in fines out of the poor saps who drop theirs off.......oh hang on though, this IS the council. 'Spect a summons will be in the post for the last lot I dropped off then. Bugga, dint fink that through, did I.

You can carry your own stuff but not other peoples, also if you are a charity like IWA or waterway trust you can get the licence for free. Our local IWA branch raised a lot of money from collecting and selling scrap to restore the Ipswich to Stowmarket navigation.

But they have to drain them to a hazard waste tank and pay for disposal then open the case and dispose, then remove lead plates. This all has a labour content so not as much profit as first seems to you.

Neil

Beat me to it Peter.

Neil

I didn't say it would make them millionaires overnight. But it's still not bad.