New To This, Freeman Mk1 Project

sonny08

Featured Posts

Evening all,

I've wanted a boat for a while now but my budget hasn't allowed, Then I came across a freeman mk1 at a fairly cheap price, It a project and needs fitting out.

I only have basic DIY knowledge and have never fit out a boat before, but something made me think I can do it, so I went to go and have a look and ended up talking myself into buying it help.gif

I will add a few photos as soon as I can upload them.

Is there any good blogs or books around which would help as I haven't got the slightest clue on where to start. Or any advice would be much appreciated, I've been told the obvious that id be better off sat throwing my money in the canal, but where would the fun be in that ha-ha.

cheers sonny

Someone's project boat is someone else's disaster area, Be sure what you are doing. Yes a BOAT (bring out another thousand) is a hole in the water into which you throw money.

Remember that the only straight line on a boat is the virtual line from stem to stern, everything else is a curve or a taper.

Sort out the big bits first

Hull

Power plant

superstructure

watertightness from above and below,

security.

received 10153349697293223

received 10153349595303223

received 10153349595023223

received 10153349696753223

It came with this engine but im not sure what model it is or if it can be fit into the boat without to much trouble, at first I though about just fitting a outboard bracket or cutting a well and using a outboard but after reading the freeman forum a lot of people are against this. what are peoples thoughts on this?

received 10153349595358223

received 10153349701333223

Edited by sonny08

Ooooo a Freeman, i like them, i sold a sheel project a few years ago for a friend, good boat aswell, solid built. IMO keep the inboard and be prepared for lots of money....or not, i have spent loads and little on boats, all depends on what you want in the end, dont listen to all those negative comments, just enjoy, i just bought a boat in the worst state i have had a boat in, but i will love doing the work and when its afloat, haooy days, just dont get to carried away as they can become a bind to life.

I dont the proper state of your boat but i would go through ti and see whats rotten, ANY rotten wood then rip out, dont be scared to rip to much out as the interior can be cheap to replace.

Where is the boat?

I am in radcliffe near Bury :)

Ooooo a Freeman, i like them, i sold a sheel project a few years ago for a friend, good boat aswell, solid built. IMO keep the inboard and be prepared for lots of money....or not, i have spent loads and little on boats, all depends on what you want in the end, dont listen to all those negative comments, just enjoy, i just bought a boat in the worst state i have had a boat in, but i will love doing the work and when its afloat, haooy days, just dont get to carried away as they can become a bind to life.

I dont the proper state of your boat but i would go through ti and see whats rotten, ANY rotten wood then rip out, dont be scared to rip to much out as the interior can be cheap to replace.

Where is the boat?

I am in radcliffe near Bury smile.png

Thanks I feel determined and want that sense of achievement once its done, I will appreciate it more if ive done the work so really looking forward to getting started, im in no real rush to get her finished just when the funds are available. Im 24 yrs old so have plenty of years to learn from my mistakes and hopefully work my way up the boating ladder.

the boats located just outside Lancaster at carnforth. If you fancy a drive out your more than welcome to pop over and offer your advice as it will be much appreciated.

Are going to keep it there to work on, be best if you can get it closer to home, it makes work a lot easier and helps motivation . When i have time i would love to pop up and have a look over it, even help out maybe :)

Going to keep it there for now to save costs, I live in burnley it's about an hours drive, not sure of any places nearer :/ but I agree it would make it alot easier. That would be great advice and help would be brill :)

Going to keep it there for now to save costs, I live in burnley it's about an hours drive, not sure of any places nearer :/ but I agree it would make it alot easier. That would be great advice and help would be brill smile.png

I used to be at Hapton boat yard with all my boats, shame its closed down now. The cost of moving boats can be dam expensive cant it. I know a yard in Barnoldswick by the canal Lower Park Marina, you could cruise it down then get it lifted out there. jsut slap an outboard on the back.

It's out the water at the moment next to the Lancaster canal, after the time it will take to sail her home and cost of lifts at both sides it might be cheaper to get a haulage firm to move her. Or do I just put up with 2 hours travelling everyweekend and hope I don't leave anything at home ha

As a rough guide i reckon it will cost £450 to get that home to yours, i got a boat from Carnforth boat yard some years ago aswell to Hapton. Just me but if you know it floats and can get an outboard fo it then sell it on once its home, crane out if they have a crane should be about £80 give or take, fuel well not much. could be worth looking into towards the travel, believe me when you are there and you frget a tool or something its dam annoying, even with just half hour drive away. Reason i bring mine home now.

look into it, if you need a hand i will help where i can to get it home, well closer to home, even a deck hand. and get a 15hp to get across the Ribble link.

'Start with a Hull' by Lois Goring published by Adlard Coles. It's very comprehensive, more than you will ever need but it's all there, fitting out a new hull from scratch, including joinery, mechanical systems, electrical, etc..

Alternatively: 'Fitting out your Boat' by Michael Naujok published by Adlard Coles - concentrates on restoring a second hand boat and restoring/replacing what was there before. Mainly about joinery and finishing work.

It's worth thinking about, will look into moving it I think, atleast then can spend an hour or so in the evenings.

Thanks just ordered the books hopefully they will give me a few tips :)

Been looking on the freeman sites they look good when they are finished, got some ideas from completed boats.

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress kida ?

Not alot had alot on the last week with work, I've been thinking about the engine, it came with a diesel inboard but not fitted, should I try and fit this, has anybody done this? Is it a hard job? Haven't really seen many with different engines fitted. Or should I add a outboard looked at one online with a outboard maybe the easier option but it will ruin the boats looks.I have Also been looking for somewhere closer to home to keep her, hard finding a full day at the moment, it's a 3 hour drive there and back. Need somewhere near the burnley area now Hapton boat yard have closed.

Yes they can take time when you have to travel aswell. Hapton was a great yard, i was there for a few years. Have you looked at the one a mile or so down the canal towards BUrnley direction. Did you look at the barnoldswick on ei mentioned.

Has your boat got the prop and rudder etc for the inboard engine, if so i would get the inboard fitted, outboard is easy to fit though, i have see a few with outboards and they are ok, just like any other cruiser.

Going to ring round a few this week I didn't know there was a yard in Barnoldswick? Yeah the prop and prop shaft are there and the rudder is there, is there any guides online on fitting a different engine, will have to fiberglass in a new engine support/housing not sure what it's called sorry.

i mentioned it on lat post mate this one http://www.lowerparkmarina.com

another enigne i guess you mean a inboard ? from what i know if all is there prop wise etc then it is a matter of getting new engine and G box and lining up with the drive gear, may need an adaptor plate all depends on what you go for G box wise. Not difficult to me, although never done it but for cars etc, cant be much different, just to laminate ne engine bad in place or fettle the one already in.Whats wrong with the engine you have.

O yeah they are deffo worth a try cheers

The guy I bought the boat off took the petrol watermoto engine out and got a diesel to replace it but never got round to fitting it. Im just worried it will be a hard job with endless problems trying to fit it. It's all there supposedly and it ran when he bought it. The stainless tanks are still fitted and the prop and rudder are fitted, think I will have a go at fitting it, theres a few local marine engineers if I get completely stuck.

O yeah they are deffo worth a try cheers

The guy I bought the boat off took the petrol watermoto engine out and got a diesel to replace it but never got round to fitting it. Im just worried it will be a hard job with endless problems trying to fit it. It's all there supposedly and it ran when he bought it. The stainless tanks are still fitted and the prop and rudder are fitted, think I will have a go at fitting it, theres a few local marine engineers if I get completely stuck.

I would think they if all is still the from the original engine then it wont be all that hard to fit, altering the engine beds and as said find an adaptor if you need to. There is loads of info on these old engine on the classic engine forum if you struggle on here for help. If you have the cash though get a mariner engineer to fit it. If and when i have time i will come over to help out when you are ready for it.

What condition is the hull in, could be worth a weekend or two gettign it water worthy and then get it on a mooring to do what needs to be done if you struggle with a hardstanding.

• 1 year later...

I think that sometimes people don't realise just how much work, time, effort and money needs to go into a project boat to make it good again.

Very true Rach. Not a bad thing as i can get the cast off`s cheap :)

W+t how long ago were you in Hapton boatyard? I know that area very well

Until it closed down about 4 years ago when Christene and ray sold up. Maybe 4 years previous.

Edited by W+T