Hair Dye

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

I think some of that is true. But they were surely called bath chairs because of their shape? They often had wicker bodywork which would not have held water very well.

Nice work, as ever, Bizard.

Athy. I was told that they were named after kit used at the Spars at Bath used to move rich & gouty. (Other Spar towns exist etc.)

OHs old T-shirt works great

I dont fit into OHs old T-shirt. Or any of his new ones for that matter :) -Topless all the way for me!

And if you dont mind orangey/red, Henna powder contains no chemicals and is harmless to the environment.

Very messy though -once we have our liveaboard (17 months and counting!) I havent yet decided whether to try it on the boat, or to use the services. Dont really want to go grey as yet.

I dont fit into OHs old T-shirt. Or any of his new ones for that matter :) -Topless all the way for me!

And if you dont mind orangey/red, Henna powder contains no chemicals and is harmless to the environment.

Very messy though -once we have our liveaboard (17 months and counting!) I havent yet decided whether to try it on the boat, or to use the services. Dont really want to go grey as yet.

You might like to try using a plastic table cloth, Chris has one to use when dyeing her hair, spread it over the floor and it folds up really small when she has done

Phil

I used to wear an old shirt so I didn't have to pull it over my head. To remove the dye, I showered, usually kneeling down so there was less splash on the walls/curtain/glass etc. However back in 2004 I decided to stop dyeing my hair and let the grey come through. The growing out process was easy - I let the roots get about an inch long and then had my hair cut to get rid of the remaining dyed bits. Very dramatic, very trendy! Never regretted it,although I did get a fright for a couple of months when I looked in the mirror and saw my mother biggrin.png It suits my skin colour better than the dyes ever did - it seems that skin tones change as we age and works well with the changes in our hair colour. My biggest worry about it for myself was the stuff I read about how toxic it is to our bodies, and knowing that my scalp tingled when I applied the dye, I was pretty sure it wasn't benign!

For less mess while waiting, I'd suggest wrapping your head in an old towel.

I cannot believe the messy and potentially dangerous processes that you ladies endure to make yourself more attractive. Hair straightening is particularly hazardous.

Mostly, I cannot be bothered to shave my sparse beard or cut my grey hair. Maybe I should shave it all, as seems to be the fashion, to a #1? It is painless and many ladies would do well to follow suit.

Alan

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a woman is dying her hair because she thinks it will make her "more attractive." Not everything that women do to and for themselves is done with the intention of making us look more appealing to other people.

Edited by Starcoaster

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a woman is dying her hair because she thinks it will make her "more attractive."

But surely a woman would not dye her hair to make herself look less attractive?

Never understood the obsession with dyeing hair myself.

Most women (and men of course) look better with their natural hair colour, even if it is starting to go grey. Nothing in my mind looks worse than that half inch or so of natural colour making a stripe down the middle of a dyed head of hair. Whether it is brash blonde covering a natural brown or anything trying to disguise a bit of grey.

So, just be glad you still have hair and be proud of your natural colour.

Is everything you do to your appearance designed to make you more attractive?

Hehe I remember going to USA with my son many years ago he was going to be Snowboarding (while I did the old fashioned skiing) the day before we left he dyed his hair Purple and Green. It certainly did not IMO make him look more attractive but made it a lot easier for me to spot him on the crowded ski slopes

My eldest once dyed his hair purple, his intention to embarrass his dad on board ship that Paul was captain of. His plan failed as dye did not "take" in his very dark hair..it merely had a purply dark sheen..not the look he wanted.

I cannot believe the messy and potentially dangerous processes that you ladies endure to make yourself more attractive. Hair straightening is particularly hazardous.

Mostly, I cannot be bothered to shave my sparse beard or cut my grey hair. Maybe I should shave it all, as seems to be the fashion, to a #1? It is painless and many ladies would do well to follow suit.

Alan

I dye and straighten my hair to look pretty - for myself, not for anyone else, it makes me feel more confident and happy.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a woman is dying her hair because she thinks it will make her "more attractive." Not everything that women do to and for themselves is done with the intention of making us look more appealing to other people.

I think hair dying has more in common with the psychology underlying the reasons for our choice of clothing than a wish to appear 'attractive' to others.

We choose our clothes and style of dressing to project an image. Hair colour and style obviously form part of this. Bloke wear suits to project the image "successful businessman" for example. People like me dress scruffily to project the image "I don't need to care what you think of me", and so on.

This extends to helping us identify and bond with other potential tribe members though. People with, say, pink hair tend to notice each other and feel a basic instant raport, for example. I tend to bond more easily with scruffily dressed people than those in expensive Italian suits.

Is everything you do to your appearance designed to make you more attractive?

Well, it's certainly (despite appearances) not designed to make me look worse, if it's designed to do anything at all, or indeed "designed" at all. But then I've never been a woman so it's irrelevant.

Well, it's certainly (despite appearances) not designed to make me look worse, if it's designed to do anything at all, or indeed "designed" at all. But then I've never been a woman so it's irrelevant.

Surely it's 100% relevant. It's a very male arrogance to presume women dress to please men. Equally you chose what to dress like, just as women do. You have no way of avoiding making those choices, and you are sending a message to the world with the choices you make.

There is also a school of thought that says the women you assume are dressing to please men are actually dressing to compete with each other. Probably best I don't mention that though...

This is a strangely deep hole I'm digging for myself...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Surely it's 100% relevant. It's a very male arrogance to presume women dress to please men. Equally you chose what to dress like, just as women do. You have no way of avoiding making those choices, and you are sending a message to the world with the choices you make.

There is also a school of thought that says the women you assume are dressing to please men are actually dressing to compete with each other. Probably best I don't mention that though...

This is a strangely deep hole I'm digging for myself...

Very deep indeed....

I once attended a function where the "female of species" had all discussed before hand what colour appropriate and all turned up in...black..to this day dunno why they selected black wasn't solemn occasion... unless the only colour acceptable to all

There were 2 exceptions both of whom I guess not in the "know" one was me--a beacon in a sea of black as I'd chosen pale maeve with kinds snowflake crystals on and Camilla who'd gone in green.

Then I never quite got stuff right.

I don't think the women were dressing to please the men or maybe they were...as to whether they were competing dunno that either looked like funeral parlour. I didn't feel out of place just thought what the heck this about..

My friends all discuss what they are going to wear prior to any social event. I don't bother because I always wear jeans and converse or a skater dress, not much discussion is needed! Plus I'm married so I don't really care about attracting the opposite/or same sex.

But these friends all go to the toilet together on nights out which baffles me completely! (Husband says the reason I haven't been fully integrated into this set of female friends is because I'm not following their social norms..) We also went shopping together on the weekend (making steps! This was a first for me) and they all stick together in the shop and look at the same things at the same time, I wandered off and bought some clothes (without getting prior approval from the other ladies - another thing I have learnt...they have to tell you that, yes, you should buy that top)

Long story short. Women are very confusing creatures, I'd rather have a pint and read my book.

• Greenie 1

My friends all discuss what they are going to wear prior to any social event. I don't bother because I always wear jeans and converse or a skater dress, not much discussion is needed! Plus I'm married so I don't really care about attracting the opposite/or same sex.

But these friends all go to the toilet together on nights out which baffles me completely! (Husband says the reason I haven't been fully integrated into this set of female friends is because I'm not following their social norms..) We also went shopping together on the weekend (making steps! This was a first for me) and they all stick together in the shop and look at the same things at the same time, I wandered off and bought some clothes (without getting prior approval from the other ladies - another thing I have learnt...they have to tell you that, yes, you should buy that top)

Long story short. Women are very confusing creatures, I'd rather have a pint and read my book.

A natural boater I would say

I find this all totally confusing; apparently, girls/women have absolutely no intention of attracting a mate, they just dress and apply makeup to 'look pretty' and compete with their female friends.

Alan

There are as many reasons as women. But don't assume that any woman is dressing to 'attract'. Me, I dress to make me feel good, but sometimes to make a statement about who I am. Since I have retired I care far less about what others think. The economics of the work place have finally receded.

But, then, why would a woman in her sixties think that anyone else might care what she wears?