3 Contract Ending - What Next?

starman

Featured Posts

I know it's been asked but I thought I'd like to get some up to date thoughts as my unlimited data contracts on iPhone and iPad expire next month.

I use the phone a lot for web surfing and a bit of tethering to a Macbook to watch a bit of tv and write/send stuff.

I'm thinking maybe Mifi dongle with aerial for on boat webbing but retaining 3G on phone and pad too for elsewhere.

Any ideas who and how (what's the best dongle etc)?

I use EE on a 4g contract on Apple kit. It's ok, but I don't always get the 4g, especially on the autobahn. Nor in rural North Yorkshire. You might be best sticking with 3G . Dongles can't help with don't use them

Edited by larkshall

I'd let it run on, out of contract, until 3 removes you unlimited data allowance.

I believe this has happened to some but mine remains unaltered more than a year after my contract ran out.

Like Larkshall the OH on the EE 4g contract and, between the two, we always have a full signal.

Three have only capped unlimited tethering at 4gb, but unlimited data on the handset stays the same. In practice though I've found that they haven't capped my tethering, six months after they switched me on to a new tariff, and it still appears to be unliimited, so I'd stick with it.

My contract ran out a year ago. Now on rolling contract. Still got unlimited data and tethering. Just carry on as normal.

Same with me, my contract ran out a year ago, sim only one plan £15/month 2000mins plus inlimited data and tethering, "never gonna give you up"

Our One Plan expired last summer and we're still on it.

As Carl says keep quiet and you may fall under the radar. Bottle's advice is also good - line up an alternative just in case.

Mine expired in March. 400 mins, 3000 texts, unlimited data, for £20pm. Yesterday I received a letter from them stating that on 28 August I will be moved to a new contract.

New contract being offered
600 mins (instead of 400, they know I only ever use about 10 mins per month in calls)
5000 texts (instead of 3000, they know I only ever use about 15 texts per month)
1Gb data (instead of unlimited, they know I tend to average 25 - 30 Gb per month, & has been known to be way higher, 206Gb is the mos I've used in 1 month)

Taking the piss I think, offering me 1/3 more on what I dont use, & massively cutting the only bit of it that I do use. So I'll be moving to a different provider, I guess I'll be paying through the nose for 20Gb, 4Gb of tethering from 3 just isnt enough. Time for a posh new phone.

I use Giffgaff on the phone. £10 per month for 500 mins lots of texts and 1Gb of tetherable 3G data. I have a Huawei mifi and use an EE 4g data sim 15Gb for £20.50 per month,(20Gb would be £30 a month I think).

Edited by Richard10002

My 3 one plan 24 month contract ended two years ago and I transferred to a rolling monthly SIM only one plan for £18/ month. I still get unlimited tethering whereas, as others have said, the new plans limit this to 4gb. The chap in the 3 store a few weeks ago said they are discontinuing my plan but recommended I stay on it until they do. So I'm just sitting tight until I get the letter.

I use Giffgaff on the phone. £10 per month for 500 mins lots of texts and 1Gb of tetherable 3G data. I have a Huawei mifi and use an EE 4g data sim 15Gb for £2050 per month,(20Gb would be £30 a month I think).

I'd go for the 20Gb deal then, £2050 for 15Gb seems a bit steep...

I was in a 3 shop the other day getting my SIM swapped as I'd bought an iPhone and needed a nano SIM. The guy said I should keep my head down when the contract ends in Oct as they might well not bother swapping me onto the new contract as I'm a fairly light user. If they do, I'm going over to giffgaff, hence getting the unlocked phone.

I'd go for the 20Gb deal then, £2050 for 15Gb seems a bit steep...

Corrected. £20.50

Its advertised at £20 per month, but the bill shows a bit more.. Taking the Mickley, and irritating, but life's too short to argue over £6 a year, although if they do this to a million customers, it's a lot of money!