Funding Cwf

MtB

Featured Posts

Not at all, but at the moment I have no reason to. I am not soliciting contributions to a website. Or did you perhaps think that everybody on here should publish their bank details because somebody called Paul C says so?

Bizarre.

You stated there was no risk Absolutely none whatsoever. And condemned Dan for not posting his.

Now you are running scared of posting your own, which rather supports Dan's reluctance to post his.

You stated there was no risk Absolutely none whatsoever. And condemned Dan for not posting his.

Now you are running scared of posting your own, which rather supports Dan's reluctance to post his.

Try not to make things up, old chap, it does you no credit at all.

Not at all, but at the moment I have no reason to.

The reason to, would be to disprove those who think there is a risk in posting bank details. Heard of the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words"? You could strongly reinforce your viewpoint much more than any amount of words you type in, by typing in 2 numbers.

Nothing is without risk and we all make a decision as to what risk we wish to take.

As for Dan's decision, reference publicising his bank details, is his.

I would have made the same decision.

Indeed so, I'm my mind the fees charged by PayPal are managable, and the site easy and convenien to use.

Never say never, but at present I am no plans to change.

The system is equally quick and easy for the end user, and takes online payments from any major bank/card.

Daniel

Paypal gets my vote. Nearly everything can be bought with Paypal these days. The last transaction was for 2 days dog boarding.

Looking at my bank statement I notice on average 20 paypal transactions each month - that amounts to more than 1,000 in my case. Never had a problem either as a buyer or an ebay seller.

• 1 month later...

Now that Daniel has grasped the nettle and moved servers, increasing costs to the tune of £80 a month (possibly more, I'm not sure) for the benefit of us all, I'd like to appeal to all those here who value this site to help Dan out with the costs.

It simply isn't fair that Dan should fund the whole lot by himself. Fair enough, some of us from time to time bung a few quid in the coffers via the PayPal payments page or at banters, but this doesn't really cut it with higher costs. What Dan/CWF really needs is small monthly contributions. Lots of them. No matter how small, lots of small regular contributions are a million times better than the odd 'one-off' donation.

So to start the ball rolling, as a regular user of CWDF I've set up a monthly donation via PayPal myself. Now I'm asking anyone else who values CWF to do the same by clicking here to the sites 'about us' page and clicking the "Donate" button at the bottom of the page.

The system is PayPal based, but will take payments from any major card. Once you get to the 'Donate' page you can fill in a donation and to make it a regular monthly donation tick the box labelled "Make this recurring (monthly)". I'd like to propose a minimum donation of £1 a month. This must be affordable to lots of us, and lots of us contributing a bit will help Dan a lot.

If enough people do this, and/or if a dozen or two of us set up £5 or £10 a month recurring payment then Dan will no longer be funding CWF out of his own pocket, which is my goal in writing this post.

That's it really...

MtB

(MtB; Edit to correct a few detail errors.)

(Dhutch; Edit to to add non-paypal payment capability.)

Just a bump

Not sure it needs it.

I think the coffers up at CWF Towers are flush with cash now!

Ange was going to do us a summary IIRC...

Yes, until Dan/Ange do a summary which illustrates the health of the accounts and the boost received from the extra interest in donating when we had the series of issues which led to the site host change, we don't know.

This one:

Forum Funding - Update.

Extract:

To date we have raised:

- £85/month in reoccurring fees, typically monthly payments of £1-5, with some later annual payments.

- £400 in one off fees, typically £10-20 payments, but also a number of larger payments.

- Multiple promises to make regular 'one-off' payments in future, or move onto automated yearly payments.

In summary, assuming a low drop-out rate on the scheduled payments, and around least £15/month or 35% re-occurrence in the one-off payments we have met the running costs with the donations which is fantastic news for the site.

I hope donations will continue to come forwards over the coming weekend and going forwards, which will allow the site to build a small surplus should we encounter fluctuations in running costs.

Daniel

Not sure it needs it.

I think the coffers up at CWF Towers are flush with cash now!

Ange was going to do us a summary IIRC...

The reason I raised it is that there have been many people join since the call for cash and they probably don't know how its funded and may now like to contribute

Perhaps pay as you use?

Heavy users pay more, sort of proportional payment...

This would have the advantage of creating a certain amount of self moderation.

Only a thought!

The problem with that is that there are members like Alan Fincher who have loads of knowledge to offer who shouldn't be penalised for sharing that knowledge. He was (amongst others with a high post count) an invaluable resource when we moved aboard.

There are also very skint folk who have need of the forum - at times they may need to post prolifically to resolve a particular issue.

I'm sure Daniel would agree we never want to take this route.

Just to update I had the accounts up to date to the end of July, so they need some further updating. My yonks old laptop has finally died - beautiful timing as we've left the car on my sister's driveway and are just off to Liverpool. I'm hoping to buy a new one there, then I can do a new update and publish where we are.

It's all looking good though, we nearly have enough regular contributions to cover costs with enough money from the one off donations to cover the shortfall for some time.

Thank you folk.

Funding of sites like this, and Canalplan, and others is always going to be an issue - either you rely on donations and / or adverts (which is why Canalplan has them) or you turn your site into a subscription style site which will discourage casual users. Most of these sites are not run as commercial ventures and are in many ways a labour of love. When Daniel was having problems with his hosting company a while back I really felt for him - we've been there too and for something that people are getting for nothing people can get remarkably upset when things go wrong.

Edited by StephenA

Ange. My suggestion was very much tongue in cheek, but since I moved to a tablet, I seem to have lost my emotions.:)

I am on my phone at the moment so can't post the link from the mobile version.

However all the emoticons on this site are listed on a web page along with text required to generate them. Eg : cheers : without spaces gets you this :cheers:

Edited by MJG

Ange. My suggestion was very much tongue in cheek, but since I moved to a tablet, I seem to have lost my emotions.:)

Oops sorry - I have a habit of taking folk seriously when they're joking :)

I am on my phone at the moment so can't post the link from the mobile version.

However all the emoticons on this site are listed on a web page along with text required to generate them. Eg : cheers : without spaces gets you this cheers.gif

ed. to add the link I was blathering about

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=f777b05c40ff3afbb19368feaa32fb89&&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends