Broken Glass Of Solar Panel

bargemast

Featured Posts

Metal bottle = metal bottle. Think it had a screw top lid.

Brainwave - it was called Clear Coat. May have been by Upol. Cost me either £15 or £20 the bottle off ebay. Single pack (air dries)

Hi BSP, thanks for your brainwave, as that will be the product I shall look for after your succesful experience (inhaling lovely vapours) with it.

Thanks for the EBay link of the Upol George, often when I click on U.K.Ebay it doesn't show anything but just a text saying that I'm not allowed to see it,

this time I was allowed to see the product but there's something else written now :

Postage:
Doesn't post to France | See details
Item location:
sleaford, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Posts to:
United Kingdom | See exclusions
So I have to try to find this Upol or something very simular here in Frog country.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

If you draw a blank I'll order it for you, then post it to you in France.

MtB

Thank you very much Mike, that's very kind of you.

Dave Clinton sent me a PM earlier on with the same offer, I very much appreciate these kind offers to help me out.

For the time being I'm waiting for an answer on a mail I sent to U-pol UK, in which I asked them if there's a place in France that's selling their products.

Haven't received their answer yet, and if it's a "No" I do some more researches to see if there's a simular product available here.

If everything else fails, I will accept the kind offer of one of you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Try this...

Thank you very much Frabjous Day, I'm sure you've posted something very useful, but sadly enough I only have my phone that I use as modem and the signal I have here is pretty lousy and doesn't allow me to see youtube or other video's.

This is what I get on my screen :

Cette page ne peut pas s’afficher
  • Vérifiez que l’adresse Web https://youtube.comest correcte.
  • Recherchez la page avec votre moteur de recherche.
  • Actualisez la page dans quelques minutes.

Thanks anyway,

Peter.

Thank you very much Frabjous Day, I'm sure you've posted something very useful, but sadly enough I only have my phone that I use as modem and the signal I have here is pretty lousy and doesn't allow me to see youtube or other video's.

This is what I get on my screen :

Cette page ne peut pas s’afficher
  • Vérifiez que l’adresse Web https://youtube.comest correcte.
  • Recherchez la page avec votre moteur de recherche.
  • Actualisez la page dans quelques minutes.

Thanks anyway,

Peter.

Firstly he tried Resin like you use in glass fiber but it didnt last so now he has used Minwax fast drying Polyurethane clear satin. Looks like this tin http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/clear-protective-finishes/interior/minwax-fastdrying-polyurethane

The optimum ( read expensive method) would be to cover it with a sheet of Pilkingtons optiwhite s glass

http://www.pilkington.com/products/bp/bybenefit/solarenergy/optiwhitese/

I built my own 200w panel, when it was cost effective to do so, using this it cost £100 for a 6mm sheet however you should get away with a 3mm sheet which should be a lot cheaper.

Alternatively, or as well as, if you are concerned about it being watertight a good solar encapsulantthat I can recommend is QSIL 216 although this used to be easy to source it seems to be a bit rarer now, most likely because it is no longer cost effective to make your own panels. A Google search may be required. QSIL 216 is a bit expensive but is very good however when using it you will need a completely flat and level surface to work on. QSIL 216 is the only one that I have used there are cheaper Polish sourced solar encapsulants on ebay although I have heard that these have a very short curing time whereas QSIL 216 has a longer curing time which allows you time to work it into the crack and between the cells.

Note that these are towards the optimum solution towards solving you problem and a therefor not the cheapest solution

Hope this helps

regards

EDITED TO ADD

Note that the QSIL 216 is to encapsulate the solar cells only and so will require something to cover it e.g the Pilkingtons optiwhite glass

Edited by reg

Firstly he tried Resin like you use in glass fiber but it didnt last so now he has used Minwax fast drying Polyurethane clear satin. Looks like this tin http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/clear-protective-finishes/interior/minwax-fastdrying-polyurethane

Thanks ditchcrawler for telling me what the video was about, and thanks for the link too.

Last week I sent a mail to U-pol UK, but they are to busy I think to answer me, they may have enough business already and aren't waiting for someone who only wants to know where I can buy their products in France.

I finished the installation with another 250 W panel and I'll try to repair the broken panel as good as possible at a later date, as I can't afford to throw away 250 €.

Cheers, Peter.

The optimum ( read expensive method) would be to cover it with a sheet of Pilkingtons optiwhite s glass

http://www.pilkington.com/products/bp/bybenefit/solarenergy/optiwhitese/

I built my own 200w panel, when it was cost effective to do so, using this it cost £100 for a 6mm sheet however you should get away with a 3mm sheet which should be a lot cheaper.

Alternatively, or as well as, if you are concerned about it being watertight a good solar encapsulantthat I can recommend is QSIL 216 although this used to be easy to source it seems to be a bit rarer now, most likely because it is no longer cost effective to make your own panels. A Google search may be required. QSIL 216 is a bit expensive but is very good however when using it you will need a completely flat and level surface to work on. QSIL 216 is the only one that I have used there are cheaper Polish sourced solar encapsulants on ebay although I have heard that these have a very short curing time whereas QSIL 216 has a longer curing time which allows you time to work it into the crack and between the cells.

Note that these are towards the optimum solution towards solving you problem and a therefor not the cheapest solution

Hope this helps

regards

EDITED TO ADD

Note that the QSIL 216 is to encapsulate the solar cells only and so will require something to cover it e.g the Pilkingtons optiwhite glass

Hi reg, you must be a clever guy, to be able to build your own solar-panel, glass is probably cheaper in the U.K. than here, and even a 3mm sheet of 164 cm x 99 cm

will cost a small fortune and will still only cover the badly smashed glass, as you can't just replace the broken glass, which is too bad.

Thank you very much for your advise and this idea for another repair solution that could have been the right one for me if I could find a cheap way to get the glass.

Cheers, Peter.

Last week I sent a mail to U-pol UK, but they are to busy I think to answer me, they may have enough business already and aren't waiting for someone who only wants to know where I can buy their products in France.

Peter,

We're in our house at La Truchere with landline internet at the moment, so I spent a long time looking for French outlets on the internet for you, but although I was told they have distributors in 60 countries they did not give me any names. Several internet links were from car clubs with members who use the produce - you might get a supplier via that but I gave up (sorry)

Where did the vandalism happen, by the way? Not so common in France, luckily.

Tam

Peter,

We're in our house at La Truchere with landline internet at the moment, so I spent a long time looking for French outlets on the internet for you, but although I was told they have distributors in 60 countries they did not give me any names. Several internet links were from car clubs with members who use the produce - you might get a supplier via that but I gave up (sorry)

Where did the vandalism happen, by the way? Not so common in France, luckily.

Tam

Hello Tam, thank you very much for your trying, and your idea to check with members of carclub members, that could work too.

As I wrote earlier, it's not the most urgent thing to do now that the panel is replaced with another one, I can take a bit more time finding the right stuff to do the job.

There must be something equivalent available in France too I would think.

The vandalism happened in Sens at my very quite mooring there, but it's next to a stadium where children come on sundays, and there's gravel lying around mixed with some heavier stones.

Could you think of anything funnier to do then to throw some of these (only a couple of handsful) onto a boat that's moored there which is non-accessible because of a locked gate on it's floating passerelle ?

Of course I don't know if the barstewards were children, as I wasn't on board at the time it happened, and I don't know if they wanted to destroy the solar-panel either, it was just some very bad luck of which I seem to get quite a bit more than usual since a while.

Apart from that I've only been stoned (barge and me) at Maubeuge when I was waiting for the lock to prepare, just when the local schools came out with a bunch of nasty teenagers that wanted to show their friends how brave they were.

Other then that never a serious problem, not even at 4 different occasions that my ropes where undone in the middle of the night, but as I normally drop an anchor when tied up for the night in a river town, nothing happened.

Thinking about it, I once had a fight with fisherman in Dijon in 1981, they didn't want me to moor at the only available mooring at the townquay where they had been fishing (drinking beer) all day, but all of those things together in 36 years is next to nothing, and I really that France in general is pretty safe.

Cheers, Peter.

Edited by bargemast