Leaking Joint On Fuel Pump Pipe To Injector

jenevers

Featured Posts

I'm posting this here as my original post elsewhere has gone haywire and isn't taking any more messages ( probably due to the tech problems being experienced by the site at mo).

My generator has developed a leak where the fitting on the top of the pump, takes the fuel to one of the injectors. I've removed the fitting, which has a double ended male parallel thread.

The leak is at the pump end, the pipe end is fine. There is a square section, "rubber" washer in a groove between the 25mm long thread length and the hexagonal nut section. I've re-tightened the fitting as tightly as I dare but the washer apparently isn't sealing any more. As a temporary measure I'm going to wrap the washer in PTFE tape. I have a roll of diesel resistant PTFE somewhere but I can't find it and I need to use my genny. So I wondered if there's a problem with ordinary PTFE. Any advice/ warnings?

well, ordinary PTFE dissolves in diesel so probably not. Can we have a picture or a link to the fitting? it may be the washer isn't the sealing part. If the washer seals I would use a jointing compound, if the thread seals then a bit of hemp is good. Renewing the fitting is the best option as long as the female part is undamaged.

Edited by Dave Clinton

well, ordinary PTFE dissolves in diesel so probably not. Can we have a picture or a link to the fitting? it may be the washer isn't the sealing part. If the washer seals I would use a jointing compound, if

the thread seals then a bit of hemp is good. Renewing the fitting is the best option as long as the female part is undamaged.

Hi thanks for your advice. I've used a jointing compound (Hylomar universal blue) and it seems to be doing the trick. I'll post a photo if someone tells me how to do it