The Bargee, Missing Scenes?

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Was in a remainder bookshop at lunchtime and came across a biography, writen by his daughter, of Harry H Corbett.

In the section on the filming of Tha Bargee he is quoted as bemoaning that the film was origiginally given an x (18) rating by the censors and it was only reduced when scenes were cut.

What did we miss?

Tim

Him tying with a centre line on the backend rail and using a bucket and chuckit loo if this forum is anything to go by. laugh.png Oh, and pushing gates open with the motor too (that would have gotten double X rating)

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 2

Was in a remainder bookshop at lunchtime and came across a biography, writen by his daughter, of Harry H Corbett.

In the section on the filming of Tha Bargee he is quoted as bemoaning that the film was origiginally given an x (18) rating by the censors and it was only reduced when scenes were cut.

What did we miss?

Tim

The only missing scene I know about is near the end where he goes out of the wedding reception to look at his boats. There is a quick shot of the sterns and the boats are named Hemel and Christine, Hemel being emblazoned around the counter wrapper plate of Banstead.

This scene is missing from my DVD copy but I doubt THAT would earn an X certificate, but maybe it should.

George ex nb Alton retired

The "missing scenes" were of a raunchy nature and towards the front of the film, you can work out where they were ;) The only other missing scene from the DVD is the boy and dog at Stoke Bruerne.

If CRT were on the censor board it would get a restricted 18 (XXX) certificate as it shows "proper" boating !!

The "missing scenes" were of a raunchy nature and towards the front of the film, you can work out where they were ;) The only other missing scene from the DVD is the boy and dog at Stoke Bruerne.

If CRT were on the censor board it would get a restricted 18 (XXX) certificate as it shows "proper" boating !!

Isn't the missing scene of the boy and the dog from painted boats??

Darren

The "missing scenes" were of a raunchy nature and towards the front of the film, you can work out where they were wink.png The only other missing scene from the DVD is the boy and dog at Stoke Bruerne.

I have already mentioned another, albeit short, missing scene.

Boy and dog are "Painted Boats".

The only missing scene I know about is near the end where he goes out of the wedding reception to look at his boats. There is a quick shot of the sterns and the boats are named Hemel and Christine, Hemel being emblazoned around the counter wrapper plate of Banstead.

This scene is missing from my DVD copy but I doubt THAT would earn an X certificate, but maybe it should.

Odd, 'cos it's on mine. And as Ronnie steers the pair away from the waving wedding group, the name BANSTEAD can still be seen on the cabin side.

Odd, 'cos it's on mine. And as Ronnie steers the pair away from the waving wedding group, the name BANSTEAD can still be seen on the cabin side.

That is strange! My DVD has the parting shot as well showing Banstead, but not low enough to see the counter wrapper, and it has a shot that just shows "Christine" on the butty close up, but the slightly wider shot showing both Christine and Hemel is missing?????

Edited by furnessvale

....the film was origiginally given an x (18) rating by the censors and it was only reduced when scenes were cut.

What did we miss?

Tim

The actual film wasn't the problem.

The censors had an issue with the accompanying short that preceded the main feature..."Debbie does Darlaston."

Him tying with a centre line on the backend rail and using a bucket and chuckit loo if this forum is anything to go by. laugh.png Oh, and pushing gates open with the motor too (that would have gotten double X rating)

Tam

And I thought it was the scene where he neatly coils a mooring line and hangs it over the tiller pin!

I think we could wince at a great many things, starting with how he lifted the water can to top up the kettle instead of just tipping it; dropping the boat hook on the cabin top to look for orders and so on. Ronnie Barker on the other hand, seems to have managed his part pretty much bang to rights. But it was still fun despite all that, and it introduced many to a way of life unseen or unknown of before.

Edited by Derek R.

My next door neighbour was a young girl living on the boats with her parents while the filming took place at Bulls bridge. While they were filming she scolded her self with hot water and was taken to hospital, after a couple of days Harry Corbett came to visit her on the butty and presented her with signed teddy bear. She still has it today.

Darren

This interested me, as I taught that daughter, Susannah, when she was at prep school in London. A little research shows that it's called 'The Front Legs Of The Horse' and I'm sorry to see that it has already been "remaindered".

I found an interview with Susannah in which she mentioned that her father was a shy man. I certainly remember that, on the occasions that he picked her up after school, he hid behind dark glasses and didn't really mingle with the other parents. We had one or two "celeb" parents and I particularly remember Shirley Anne Field who was quite the opposite: she would stride into the school, dressed to kill, as if she was giving a stage performance. This was not, as I recall, an unattractive sight.

My next door neighbour was a young girl living on the boats with her parents while the filming took place at Bulls bridge. While they were filming she scolded her self with hot water and was taken to hospital, after a couple of days Harry Corbett came to visit her on the butty and presented her with signed teddy bear. She still has it today.

Darren

Lovely sentiment. cheers.gif to his memory.

This interested me, as I taught that daughter, Susannah, when she was at prep school in London. A little research shows that it's called 'The Front Legs Of The Horse' and I'm sorry to see that it has already been "remaindered".

"The Front Legs Of The Cow" actually :-)

Cheers

As I came down the GU from Hemel to Uxbridge I shared locks with Banstead. The steerer was solo (plus dog). The cloths are emblazoned "The Bargee" and nowt else and there is some info on the inside of the engine 'ole doors.

Saw the boat again on Monday in Paddington Basin and later saw the steerer was on the back of a trip boat at Little Venice. Although we chatted when working the locks I failed to ask his name!!