Riprap anyone?

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

I have a stream running through my land which turns a corner away from a bungalow, below. The bank has become eroded and when it rises it overflows and threatens to flood said bungalow.

I have previously reinforce it with stakes and planks but these have now rotted and I need to replace them.

Having recently started cruising the canals I've noticed the bank reinforcing which I believe is called Riprap. I've found an American company that produces this http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/RipRap.asp

but can't locate any UK equivalent. I guess that CART either buy this in or perhaps make their own. It can only be as simple as putting a sand/concrete mix into a paper or hessian sack, one would suppose?

Does anyone know where to get either the article ready to use, or the right size sacks and details of the mix (4/1?) to use? All the sacks I can find seem to be too big.

Posting this in the hope that someone from CART reads these forums.

Thanks

Peter

I have a stream running through my land which turns a corner away from a bungalow, below. The bank has become eroded and when it rises it overflows and threatens to flood said bungalow.

I have previously reinforce it with stakes and planks but these have now rotted and I need to replace them.

Having recently started cruising the canals I've noticed the bank reinforcing which I believe is called Riprap. I've found an American company that produces this http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/RipRap.asp

but can't locate any UK equivalent. I guess that CART either buy this in or perhaps make their own. It can only be as simple as putting a sand/concrete mix into a paper or hessian sack, one would suppose?

Does anyone know where to get either the article ready to use, or the right size sacks and details of the mix (4/1?) to use? All the sacks I can find seem to be too big.

Posting this in the hope that someone from CART reads these forums.

Thanks

Peter

The only ones I have seen in the UK seems to be DIY mixes in hessian sandbags.

George ex nb Alton retired

I had a similar problem with the stream in my garden.

Bought 200 polypropylene sand bags and set to, mixing dry concrete (6 polybags ballast with 1 25kg bag cement) and filling the sand bags.

Stacked the bags with a finished angle of about 60 degrees to the horizontal.

Job's a goodun.

White plastic bag material is now eroded away where is was visible, with the help of a bit of scraping with a rake, and the bank is now well vegetated after 2 years.

never heard of RipRap,,,,,but the simple way to make the same thing is

buy standard hessian sandbags from builders merchant or online suppliers such as http://www.mudfords.co.uk/product/hessian-sandbag

buy a bulk bag of ballast from builders merchant and a quantity of cement

dry mix at your chosen ballast / cement ratio

fill bags half to three quarters full to allow for stamping bags down into shape

place bags in position .....bond by laying header, stretcher like a brick wall and lay them with a batter ie ten degrees from vertical back against the bank .Fold the filling end that is tied, under the bag and towards the direction of flow of the stream.

never heard of RipRap,,,,,but the simple way to make the same thing is

buy standard hessian sandbags from builders merchant or online suppliers such as http://www.mudfords.co.uk/product/hessian-sandbag

buy a bulk bag of ballast from builders merchant and a quantity of cement

dry mix at your chosen ballast / cement ratio

fill bags half to three quarters full to allow for stamping bags down into shape

place bags in position .....bond by laying header, stretcher like a brick wall and lay them with a batter ie ten degrees from vertical back against the bank .Fold the filling end that is tied, under the bag and towards the direction of flow of the stream.

Admirably lucid directions - he's got the Jimson lot!

What you had before is 'campshedding'. Riprap is a generic term for loose rocks laid on the bed or banks of a watercourse. Gabions are the wire mesh baskets filled with rocks. What others are proposing is referred to as 'bagwork'.

For bagwork fill the bags with a dry mix of ballast and cement and let natural dampness do its work.