Spin on oil filter adapter, Armstrong Siddeley AS2

baffle

Featured Posts

Has anyone fitted a spin on filter adapter to the Tecalemit filter head fitted to an Armstrong? There are a lot of adapters made for various Tecalemit filters fitted to various engines in the 1950s/60s, but I havn't yet found a match for that fitted to the Armstrong. The part no on my filter head is 'fa 2009/102', 'element fg236'

I am the process of trying to sort out if Flexolite make an adapter that will fit, but it's always worth asking here too!

thanks

Can't stop the leaks either from around the top, or out the bolt hole, and on taking apart realise I am missing some of the smaller seals that should be on the bolt below the lower plate and between the bolt head and the canister. Add to that the seal that comes with the filters is a very small cross section compared to the size recess (is it really supposed to be that small?) ......so all in all am trying to improve the general situation!

Baffle

Can't stop the leaks either from around the top, or out the bolt hole, and on taking apart realise I am missing some of the smaller seals that should be on the bolt below the lower plate and between the bolt head and the canister. Add to that the seal that comes with the filters is a very small cross section compared to the size recess (is it really supposed to be that small?) ......so all in all am trying to improve the general situation!

Baffle

I can understand your frustrations. I've improvised bolt seals in the past from an O-ring assortment.

Unfortunately, filter makers used to supply an assortment of top sealing rings but that is no longer the case, whether you get the size you need will to some extent depend on the filter maker.

Tim

Hi Tim,

thanks for reply. Have now established that the flexolite adapter made for the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire and Star Sapphire tecalemit oil filter will also fit the AS2 (and prob. AS1 and poss AS3). From memory, can you remember if your uppermost O ring is square or round in cross section, and if square, does it fill the width of the recess in the filter head?

Googling around, it appears the issue of the seals is commonly shared with various cars - Triumphs, Healeys, MGs, Morrises etc. I am going to try the AS car club in Brum to see if they will sell me some seals, though not sure I really want to join the AS Car club for the privilege! Good to have a sympathetic ear.

Baffle

Hi Tim,

thanks for reply. Have now established that the flexolite adapter made for the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire and Star Sapphire tecalemit oil filter will also fit the AS2 (and prob. AS1 and poss AS3). From memory, can you remember if your uppermost O ring is square or round in cross section, and if square, does it fill the width of the recess in the filter head?

Googling around, it appears the issue of the seals is commonly shared with various cars - Triumphs, Healeys, MGs, Morrises etc. I am going to try the AS car club in Brum to see if they will sell me some seals, though not sure I really want to join the AS Car club for the privilege! Good to have a sympathetic ear.

Baffle

Yes it should be square section and fill the width of the recess.

Sometimes an O-ring , which must also fill the width of the recess, will provide a workable bodge here, but it'll either work or it won't.

i.e. if it doesn't, it'll be obvious straight away!

Tim