Macc & Peak forest liveaboard life

barmyfluid

Featured Posts

That's really not what I want to do, or can do - I need to be fairly close to that area and have somewhere secure to moor (at quite short notice). I'm not going to lay out my life particulars in public so you'll believe me, but you should allow that people have different needs.

I've been to both marinas and some of the farm moorings now and chatted with a fair few people, often with quite varying views about them.

I'd certainly like to hear first hand reports of what range of CC'ing has been problematic or goes unchallenged along the stretch, especially over the last year or so. I suppose technically from Whaley to Congleton and back covers the CRT mileage ideal (if not the 'bona fide navigation' one).

I dont live on my boat, but I just love being on it, and am not highly motivated to travel far. A motorhome, or caravan, just wouldnt give me the same feeling.... I have no idea why, but that's the way it is... I LOVE being on it smile.png

Exactly. Boats are just lovely.

That's really not what I want to do, or can do - I need to be fairly close to that area and have somewhere secure to moor (at quite short notice). I'm not going to lay out my life particulars in public so you'll believe me, but you should allow that people have different needs.

I've been to both marinas and some of the farm moorings now and chatted with a fair few people, often with quite varying views about them.

I'd certainly like to hear first hand reports of what range of CC'ing has been problematic or goes unchallenged along the stretch, especially over the last year or so. I suppose technically from Whaley to Congleton and back covers the CRT mileage ideal (if not the 'bona fide navigation' one).

Several who have 'operated' in the most popular bit; Whaley to Bollington, are now under enforcement. I would imagine Whaley to Bosley, being 23 miles, should be OK. Congleton better, being around 29 miles.

I'm not aware of a single boat with a home mooring having any problems at all in the area, other than overstaying on a visitor mooring. Some of these boaters have very small cruising ranges or regular movements between 2 places, neither of them being their home mooring. It seems the powers that be are concentrating on 'continuous cruisers', for now at least.

I dont live on my boat, but I just love being on it, and am not highly motivated to travel far. A motorhome, or caravan, just wouldnt give me the same feeling.... I have no idea why, but that's the way it is... I LOVE being on it :)

Exactly. Not on a residential, don't go beyond Bosley or move far at all, but a boat is not a caravan. I feel at best when waking on the water. You do have to want to live that life. If you don't have a desire to hear geese squawking in the morning and living in a steel tube with a full poop tank then it many not be ideal.

I think you are getting me wrong?

I am just being real with you if you think life on a boat moored in a marina is what you want to do then fine it just don't appeal to me just like living in a row of terrace houses listening to the neighbours cough and splutter ect!

If you can get a farm mooring then great I just prefer to move around!

Exactly. Not on a residential, don't go beyond Bosley or move far at all, but a boat is not a caravan. I feel at best when waking on the water. You do have to want to live that life. If you don't have a desire to hear geese squawking in the morning and living in a steel tube with a full poop tank then it many not be ideal.

I go to sleep to the sound of sirens and people being sick over my front wall and wake to 4 lanes of traffic 10 feet from my head and an alleyway full of p**s. Geese honking? Bring it on.

I don't have an overly romantic view on life aboard, I know there are hardships and tribulations. I did actually grow up living in a caravan for a bit, and my folks worked on sites for 20 odd years. They can be nice homes and some peoples idea of heaven, I'd never look down on them - but a boat is a boat (unless its a caravan on pontoons, have seen those!), there's some sort of special there.

I think you are getting me wrong

I am just being real with you if you think life on a boat moored in a marina is what you want to do then fine it just don't appeal to me just like living in a row of terrace houses listening to the neighbours cough and splutter ect!

If you can get a farm mooring then great I just prefer to move around!

I don't much fancy it either to be honest, and I'd be generally mooring a bit away from there when I could, but I do need it nearby. Vic pit is nice in that there's a fair bit of space between the pontoons at least. I'll definitely move around a bit before I settle though, see if I can figure out a way that I can work with. Cheers for the input btw.

I go to sleep to the sound of sirens and people being sick over my front wall and wake to 4 lanes of traffic 10 feet from my head and an alleyway full of p**s. Geese honking? Bring it on.

I don't have an overly romantic view on life aboard, I know there are hardships and tribulations. I did actually grow up living in a caravan for a bit, and my folks worked on sites for 20 odd years. They can be nice homes and some peoples idea of heaven, I'd never look down on them - but a boat is a boat (unless its a caravan on pontoons, have seen those!), there's some sort of special there.

We're not neighbours are we? On land my main road life can be awful on a Saturday night so understand your obsrvations. Wasn't denigrating caravans, love them, love them more when they can float.

Several who have 'operated' in the most popular bit; Whaley to Bollington, are now under enforcement. I would imagine Whaley to Bosley, being 23 miles, should be OK. Congleton better, being around 29 miles.

I'm not aware of a single boat with a home mooring having any problems at all in the area, other than overstaying on a visitor mooring. Some of these boaters have very small cruising ranges or regular movements between 2 places, neither of them being their home mooring. It seems the powers that be are concentrating on 'continuous cruisers', for now at least.

That's very interesting info, thank you. As I understood it, if you had a home mooring and didn't overstay on time restricted moorings you were pretty much allowed to keep within a small cruising area pretty much anywhere...I can understand just mooring up on a deserted bit of towpath for months on end without shifting wouldn't be 'right' in the CRT's eyes, but otherwise I thought you'd not really be doing anything against the license conditions...otherwise what's the difference between that and CCing conditions? CC-lite?

That's very interesting info, thank you. As I understood it, if you had a home mooring and didn't overstay on time restricted moorings you were pretty much allowed to keep within a small cruising area pretty much anywhere...I can understand just mooring up on a deserted bit of towpath for months on end without shifting wouldn't be 'right' in the CRT's eyes, but otherwise I thought you'd not really be doing anything against the license conditions...otherwise what's the difference between that and CCing conditions? CC-lite?

CRT 'clarified' matters fairly recently, stating that boaters with a home mooring are subject to the same rules/ guidelines as a 'continuous cruiser'. As I said, they reality at least locally is that they are not, but let's see what the future brings.