Macc & Peak forest liveaboard life

barmyfluid

Featured Posts

Hello all

So...house finally on the market and I'm planning to live on the Macclesfield canal later this year.

The main marinas I'm interested in mooring are Victoria Pit and Lyme view. New Mills is too traffic towny and Furness vale...possible but a bit unappealing. I'd just be occasionally meandering the Macc and over to Whaley/Bugsworth, on board 4-5 nights a week.

I wondered if anyone had experience of liveaboard life at the former 2 places, how you found it? Also if anyone had experience of any of the farm moorings along there and what the rough mooring costs & facilities (if any) were?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, officially; both of those marinas are nonresidential. Cost depends on length of boat and details are normally on the websites.

We spend winter on these two cansls, IMHO, they are the two prettiest canals in the country. Also, as a liveaboards you have a fortnightly Coalboat, Nb Alton and Brian and Ann Marie are brilliant, deliver by road if you're iced in.

Water points are OK, they are Bosley, Macclesfield, Poynton, Marple, Whaley bridge & Bugsworth and ok apart from Macclesfield and the only boater's shower & washing machime are in Bosley. For liveaboards, it's good, reasonable moorings on both canals. Elsan are at Bosley, Marple, Whaley bridge.

We spend winter on these two cansls

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but you've got my attention there as I've wondered about doing exactly that when we start our life as CCers a few years from now. As you say, it's a beautiful area, and the idea of staying on a lock-free stretch through the winter is quite appealing. It works for you, then? Not too cold and windy up there? Lift and swing bridges don't freeze up? Just curious about the practicalities.

..and the only boater's shower & washing machime are in Bosley...

currently the shower does not work ,and the washing machine will take 5 hours to wet your clothes, eat your card and not wash them... all while over filling the already blocked drains :-/

...CRT do know about the issue and tba I expect they'll act quickly and will be sorted before long.

I would suggest you go and see them, you will not be 100% residential so that should help. The ones you mention all look nice as we passed. Lyme View is in basins where as the Braidbar moorings are on the off side. It looked like quite a few people there spend a lot of time on their boats. Bailey's Trading is the cheapest diesel in the area opposite Braidbar

I would suggest you go and see them, you will not be 100% residential so that should help. The ones you mention all look nice as we passed. Lyme View is in basins where as the Braidbar moorings are on the off side. It looked like quite a few people there spend a lot of time on their boats. Bailey's Trading is the cheapest diesel in the area opposite Braidbar

I think you will find Brian and Anne Marie on N.B. Alton sell the cheapest diesel in the area, they get through thousands of litres each week so you know its always fresh.

No connection with them apart from being a satisfied customer.

Roger

I think you will find Brian and Anne Marie on N.B. Alton sell the cheapest diesel in the area, they get through thousands of litres each week so you know its always fresh.

No connection with them apart from being a satisfied customer.

Roger

What price are they at the moment then?

currently the shower does not work ,and the washing machine will take 5 hours to wet your clothes, eat your card and not wash them... all while over filling the already blocked drains :-/

...CRT do know about the issue and tba I expect they'll act quickly and will be sorted before long.

The shower had been mended on the day we were there, has it broken again?

The washing machine, you go in after 45 mins, open and close the lid and it then goes onto rinse.

I did speak to Liam from CRT yesterday and told him a part needs ordering.

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but you've got my attention there as I've wondered about doing exactly that when we start our life as CCers a few years from now. As you say, it's a beautiful area, and the idea of staying on a lock-free stretch through the winter is quite appealing. It works for you, then? Not too cold and windy up there? Lift and swing bridges don't freeze up? Just curious about the practicalities.

We were frozen in twice this winter. When it froze on the Macclesfield, we were on Peak Forest behind the broken bridge and not frozen in. The water points are Whaley, Bugsworth, Marple, Poynton, Macclesfield and Bosley, but you don't travel farcin winter.

72ppl base rate. And they deliver.

We always buy from Brian and Ann Marie. I am sure that marinas etc are useful if you are passing through, but we have never had to use them as Nb Alton is regular as clockwork and like Junior says, they deliver to your boat, (even flowers!)

We were going to stay for a couple of weeks in Furness Vale last year but decided against it as they didn't appear to have (many) powered sites. (I was intending to do some maintenance jobs and power was a bit essential.) It was extremely handy for the train tho.

We thought Victoria Pit looked wonderful - not sure if it has powered sites. The Trading Post was very friendly and the pub that is nearby (a few minutes's walk from the Trading Post in the direction of away from the canal, but I cannot remember the name) was full of very friendly people and had yummy food.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies.

Victoria Pit seems to have a really nice vibe and just the right amount of liveliness, I love the trading post. Lyme view looks a bit disconnected but very private.

Only thing I don't like about that stretch is the high tension power lines - really feel zapped when I walk underneath them!

Cheers

Andy

• 3 months later...

Yay! Eeek! Accepted an offer on my house, fingers crossed it should go through pretty quickly too.

Now looking for a boat on or not to far removed from the Macc/Peak forest in all the usual places, but if anyone knows a 50ish ft for £25-35k, possibly a bit more for the right boat, be much obliged to hear tell about it.

Would have previously said just a trad or semi for the room, but looked at a 50ft cruiser and trad this weekend and the cruiser seemed to have much more usable internal space than the (gorgeous Braidbar) trad, had to go back and recheck the lengths, couldn't believe it!

The Trading Post was very friendly and the pub that is nearby (a few minutes's walk from the Trading Post in the direction of away from the canal, but I cannot remember the name) was full of very friendly people and had yummy food.

The Boar's Head

Nice pub - had my first ever experience of cheese and onion pie in there

Edited by Barry

Yep, was in there Sunday after looking at a boat, very nice place to have as your local (a truly British priority to sort out, definitely above schools, transport links, shops....)

Really hoping that I can find something in time to get a mooring sorted there for winter.

New Mills Marina provides full services all year round, that is diesel (currently 61 ppl), pump out, laundry facilities, water, coal, kindling, showers, full and temporary moorings, all facilities are provided for non moorers. Speak to Pete or Heather the marina caretakers, very approachable, at least they were when I passed last week.

Hello all

So...house finally on the market and I'm planning to live on the Macclesfield canal later this year.

The main marinas I'm interested in mooring are Victoria Pit and Lyme view. New Mills is too traffic towny and Furness vale...possible but a bit unappealing. I'd just be occasionally meandering the Macc and over to Whaley/Bugsworth, on board 4-5 nights a week.

I wondered if anyone had experience of liveaboard life at the former 2 places, how you found it? Also if anyone had experience of any of the farm moorings along there and what the rough mooring costs & facilities (if any) were?

Cheers

Andy

Why would you buy a boat to live in a floating caravan site?

Just buy a caravan and save yourself a fortune!!

If you are not going to travel around seriously ask yourself what is the point as its a massive lifestyle change with loads of maintenance work or money to pay someone else and you have to live a small space.

It's all good and well living in a limited space if that comes with the freedoms of open countryside and City scapes but to be on a marina is just daft in m mind?

Each to their own.

Even just being at either of those marinas (Vic pit / Lyme view) gives you the 'back garden' of the Lyme park and the first hills of the Peak District, literally, not figuratively. Have you actually been there?

As I originally posted, I'd also be meandering up and down the Macc, giving me 26 easy miles of that with a secure mooring and car transport not far away, and having a partner, friends and work nearby, that would suit me just fine.

Edited by barmyfluid
  • Greenie 1

Each to their own.

Even just being at either of those marinas (Vic pit / Lyme view) gives you the 'back garden' of the Lyme park and the first hills of the Peak District, literally, not figuratively. Have you actually been there?

As I originally posted, I'd also be meandering up and down the Macc, giving me 26 easy miles of that with a secure mooring and car transport not far away, and having a partner, friends and work nearby, that would suit me just fine.

Yep I know the area very very well!

I would say save yourself a fortune and just continuous cruise the wider area!

Perhaps walk the towpath and speak to local boaters like we did as some of the marinas you mention are not well liked by some and liked by others!

It's not a rough old patch to CC compared to other canals, perhaps just give it a go first before commiting to a marina I would say!

Why would you buy a boat to live in a floating caravan site?

Just buy a caravan and save yourself a fortune!!

If you are not going to travel around seriously ask yourself what is the point as its a massive lifestyle change with loads of maintenance work or money to pay someone else and you have to live a small space.

It's all good and well living in a limited space if that comes with the freedoms of open countryside and City scapes but to be on a marina is just daft in m mind

I dont live on my boat, but I just love being on it, and am not highly motivated to travel far. A motorhome, or caravan, just wouldnt give me the same feeling.... I have no idea why, but that's the way it is... I LOVE being on it :)