T & M Lock 53 (Thurlwood) blocked - sunken boat

Boredrider

Featured Posts

I hate seeing that. I wonder what caused it? It looks like the wrong end of the lock and the wrong way round for a cilling.

Edited to add - but I suppose it is the right way round for the rudder caught between the gates failure mode.

Edited again to add - That displaced sticking out coping stone looks a bit suspicious.

Edited by billS

Ouch....not good.

Would be one of the single locks!

It does look quite a long way back in the lock...wonder if it got caught on the gate as the lock filled?

There but for the grace of God.....hope it's sorted soon and the boat isn't too badly damaged although it doesn't look too happy.

Cheers

Gareth

Oh! That's the lock outside our house. I'm out on Halsall but I'll get the missus to have a gander when she's home from work.

That's the lock with the nasty central top gate paddle.

Poor owners. Must be one of the worst sights to see on the cut.

It sure does have to be one of the unluckiest, it sank in Tattenhall Marina a few months back and is currently for sale on EBay,

Such a shame but I never ever leave my boat alone in a lock, im constantly looking out to see what's happening

It does make you wonder about some people - the amount of times you see a boat trundling along with the rear fender dangling straight down in a mess. Surely it's not beyond the ingenuity of someone to re-align their rear fender or replace it?

I saw one last week on Thames it was dangling off one chain - presumably the other chain was hovering near his prop. I shouted as we went past to alert him but to no avail.

To sink via the rudder being caught in the bottom gates is incredibly unlucky, thinking about it...all these would need to occur:

- no rear fender

- boat actively going backwards in the lock

- boat being unattended

- rudder aligned with the gap in the gates

- gates left part open, or becoming part open, then closing with the inrush of water

- whoever operating the paddles, to do so without observing the boat

If singlehanding, the way I go up locks is to drive it in, then slow down/stop touching the cill (at the front, obviously), then leave it in idle forwards. The boat would be the opposite end of the lock from the bottom gates. If not singlehanding, then we'd keep the boat at the back of the lock but are well aware of catching the rudder and actively use the engine/gear controls to keep it a foot or two away from the back gate AND turn the tiller to not trap the rudder just in case. AND have a rear fender - which is a legal requirement.

I would suggest its easy if the fender isnt big enough. gates slightly ajar, boat drifts back, open top paddle slams gates round stern of boat and grabs rudder. My rear fender doesnt fully cover my rudder, but I don't sit in the back of locks unless its very, very leaky at the top and they a watch whats happening.

Which law is that.?

Pretty sure it says you have to have fenders to protect against impacts with the Trust's infrastructure so that would include front and rear fenders.

Correct, the wording covers front and back but, as covered elsewhere, they do not need to be deployed but "ready". I suppose it is a moot point that if someone was not able to deploy them before impact then they weren't "ready".

George ex nb Alton retired

To sink via the rudder being caught in the bottom gates is incredibly unlucky, thinking about it...all these would need to occur:

- no rear fender

- boat actively going backwards in the lock

- boat being unattended

- rudder aligned with the gap in the gates

- gates left part open, or becoming part open, then closing with the inrush of water

- whoever operating the paddles, to do so without observing the boat

If singlehanding, the way I go up locks is to drive it in, then slow down/stop touching the cill (at the front, obviously), then leave it in idle forwards. The boat would be the opposite end of the lock from the bottom gates. If not singlehanding, then we'd keep the boat at the back of the lock but are well aware of catching the rudder and actively use the engine/gear controls to keep it a foot or two away from the back gate AND turn the tiller to not trap the rudder just in case. AND have a rear fender - which is a legal requirement.

Each to their own way of doing things, but I'm not sure if single-handing I'd be at all happy leaving the boat in gear at all in the locks going up. Currently on the Leeds/Liverpool and the potential disaster I could see with these locks would be as the lock filled and the bow of the boat moved towards the top gate as the cill disappears, it would be VERY easy for it to jam under the wooden panelling that is on the gate (with a helpful gap below presumably just for that purposeunsure.png ) .If lucky it would just break the chains holding the button but if unlucky the bow itself would catch under the gate increasing the chance of sinking quite considerably.

edited to add that I don't mind leaving it in gear going down with the button pushed up against the bottom gate (provided the gate has a smooth surface and nothing to catch the button on) since that keeps the stern away from the cill and in a broad lock will hold the boat to the side of the lock.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Each to their own way of doing things, but I'm not sure if single-handing I'd be at all happy leaving the boat in gear at all in the locks going up. Currently on the Leeds/Liverpool and the potential disaster I could see with these locks would be as the lock filled and the bow of the boat moved towards the top gate it would be VERY easy for it to jam under the wooden panelling that is on the gate (with a helpful gap below presumably just for that purposeunsure.png ) .If lucky it would just break the chains holding the button but if unlucky the bow itself would catch under the gate increasing the chance of sinking quite considerably.

Working off memory, i think that is how an ill fated trip boat ended up sinking some years ago, where several disabled people drowned? We always keep the bow away from the gates on the L&L.