Can we have a head count please?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I am not sure I am all here just at the min. I have been burning the green branches from a felled 30ft Leylandi all day and the smoke has got to me. Do you think it has got into my laptop and busted the forum again?

Ive bin bonfiring to cept mine was green door..hate green...full woodworm have replaced with PVC..lets see the little b's..get their gums into that.

Is anybody really here. We could all be there but not know it. Hmmm I'll give it some thought.

Is anybody really here. We could all be there but not know it. Hmmm I'll give it some thought.

I'm here (actually in Victoria Park on the Hertford Union canal, moored on some lovely rings)

Making our way slowly back out to the Grand Union, but I must say yet again; I really don't see what the big "hoop la" is all about regarding moorings in London. Yet again today we cruised till we were ready to stop and it took us all of 15 minutes to find a nice mooring on rings. OK we wouldn't stay here more than one night as there are trees blocking any afternoon sun on the solar panels, but it's quiet, there's about 15 - 20 boats in front of us and none of them are double moored.

Is anyone else having problems with the "view new content" button?

Sold too cheap then...!

...flippin' estate agents, undervaluing for an easy life wink.png

ahah I think we're the only one's who value it at a realistic price - it was actually sold to an acquaintance so not down the normal negotiation route.

Exactly, I'm just valuing mine. Got three estimates so added up all of them divided by three and added 10% to allow for negotiation

I don't think most under value - they tend to over value to get the instruction.

ahah I think we're the only one's who value it at a realistic price - it was actually sold to an acquaintance so not down the normal negotiation route.

I don't think most under value - they tend to over value to get the instruction.

I know, I was just teasing you. wink.png

Over-valuing is rife in my experience for the reason you state. Remember the Foxtons maxim when they first started?

"First get the instruction, then get the reduction".

In other words say whatever it takes to get the seller to place the business with your firm and lock it in with you, not a competitor. Over-valuing is the best tool for doing this. Then spend as long as it takes working on the vendor to get them to reduce the price to what the market will stand, SELL and collect the commission.

There is every possibility Larkshall will still end up with an over-valuation with his average-of-three method. All three of them might be following the Foxtons logic!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ah I know you were!

It's frustrating, because surely people can do their own research and realise that an agent is being ever so optimistic on the price?

Also, vendors tend to ignore the figures you give, if we say, your property is worth approx £600K but I suggest marketing at £625k to achieve close to £600k they hear £625 and decide that is what is must be worth. When we're trying to take into account people will be making offers (most of the time...this week week not so much) under the asking price.

I'm always reluctant to be first to offer on a house for sale because it always seems to me the conversation the agent will have with the vendor goes something like...

"Ok MtB has offered £x so we can use this as a platform to get higher future offers. We'll be telling every future viewer we already have an offer of £x so only offers of £x+ will be considered. The fact we have an offer already naturally increases desirability of the property..."

So I only buy in periods of dire inactivity. Usually xmas!

I think a lot of agents doing that- personally I like to get a house sold wasting as little of everyone's time as possible. So if we have an offer accepted we tend to make people aware it's been accepted, and generally they decide not to view. Only a few cases where if the sale is likely to fall through, or the owner insists on still showing for sale.

But I don't think I'm like most agents...

Is anyone else having problems with the "view new content" button?

Yes, as mentioned on another thread earlier today. The replies to topics since my last visit are displayed, but pressing the title of the topic several times either produces no result at all or takes so long that I get fed up with waiting (to get to this page took nearly a minute).

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 15990784) (tried to allocate 92 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php on line 1712

any one else see this message?

I'm finding that sometimes it is so slow loading that I have to go and put the kettle on rather than sit poised over the keyboard until my back aches fatigue.gif

Have you got any biscuits?

Richard