Skandia 120B running in REGINALD

MtB

Featured Posts

Oh that's weird. Not had that with any of the others I've uploaded in the past.

Hang on, I'll seef I can change the permissions...

Try again... I think I've made in 'public' now!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Splendid! That's an engine to be proud of.

One thing puzzles me. The only semi-diesels that I have previously seen and heard have been Bolinders. They have a very irregular exhaust beat which I have heard described as "hit and miss". Yours, on the contrary, has a pleasingly regular beat. Why the difference?

Splendid! That's an engine to be proud of.

One thing puzzles me. The only semi-diesels that I have previously seen and heard have been Bolinders. They have a very irregular exhaust beat which I have heard described as "hit and miss". Yours, on the contrary, has a pleasingly regular beat. Why the difference?

That's because Bolinders (well, the popular ones anyway) have a 'hit and miss' governor which regulates engine speed by missing out the fuel on occasional strokes when the engine speed rises too much. Mine has a centrifugal (I think!) governor that changes the amount of fuel on every combustion stroke to regulate engine speed.

awesome.

but as your looking in from the side, whats the brass upright just forwards from the internal exhaust pipe? .. a saftey valve on the water system?

Jay

... wheres the K1 gone? ;-)

awesome.

but as your looking in from the side, whats the brass upright just forwards from the internal exhaust pipe? .. a saftey valve on the water system?

Jay

Thermometer

Richard

Sounds great - is Braunston a realistic target ?

Simon is adamant it will be ready for Braunston!

Looks good!

That sounded to be running quite fast for a semi. What is the maximum revs, and how slow does it go on tickover?

I didn't see a gearbox. Is it direct reversing - and if so can you do it?

Max revs 600rpm. It ticks over at about 180rpm, at a guess.

Yes it's a direct reversing engine but to save on grief when failing to reverse the direction, and as the lube system only operates when running the right way (supposedly), there is a secret Parsons reverse gear under then back cabin floor now. Don't tell anyone.... ;)

Nice one Mike.!!! I was intrigued though by what appears to be a scuttle mounted "inside out" with the deadlight outside on the cabin roof ?

I have no eye deer what you mean!

Well it was still there in Aldebaran yesterday, unless you know something I don't! :D

Very nice.

Simon is adamant it will be ready for Braunston!

Hopefully see you there then.

es it's a direct reversing engine but to save on grief when failing to reverse the direction, and as the lube system only operates when running the right way (supposedly), there is a secret Parsons reverse gear under then back cabin floor now. Don't tell anyone.... wink.png

That is so cheating!

Daniel

Nice one Mike.!!! I was intrigued though by what appears to be a scuttle mounted "inside out" with the deadlight outside on the cabin roof ?

I have no eye deer what you mean!

In the video as the camera comes out of the door (at 0.19) there is what looks like a porthole with a hinged plate (deadlight) which is normally on the inside of the glass.............just looked odd I wondered why ........thinking about it more I suppose it is anti scrote but on the other hand it is only held shut by a butterfly nut.....as I said was intrigued and wondered why

In the video as the camera comes out of the door (at 0.19) there is what looks like a porthole with a hinged plate (deadlight) which is normally on the inside of the glass.............just looked odd I wondered why ........thinking about it more I suppose it is anti scrote but on the other hand it is only held shut by a butterfly nut.....as I said was intrigued and wondered why

Well if it was the other way up you would bang your head on the deadlight! (I would be among those with the sore head).

And the shower door wouldn't open.

Edited by davidg

Hi Mike

Glad you have the engine running! To prime the engine I just lifted the fuel pump up with a screwdriver. I have a handbook in swedish for a similar Skandia engine, a contact at the museum who have exactly the same engine and showed me the lever you need to prime/reverse and I business card from someone in Sweden who apparently has spare parts. I will leave them at Brinklow in the next few days. When you turn the engine over by hand you should get a buzz from the sprayer as the fuel goes out. I noticed you are not using the air start?

Regards

Mike Adams

Yo Mike, thanks for this!

Nick has made a tool for pumping the fuel pump a few times until the injector 'creaks' before turning it over and apparently it starts very easily now. I bought a compressor and it turns it over lazily on air at 8bar but hand rocking it seems just as good.

What pressure was your compressor running at when we started it in your garden?

The manula would be BRILLIANT. I can scan it, OCR it and translate it. Many thanks. Your contact for spares would be great too as the injector seems badly scored inside and a new one, or reconditioned would be great. Just don't know who to ask!

Mike