Piper Narrowboat ramming a lock gate

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

Would agree with Martin. That example of the laden pair is how it should be done using a controlled approach. The original vid of the "piper" , in my humble opinion of course, did NOT look like a controlled 'nudge' of the gates to wedge them open!

Also thanks for posting that Pete is was most enjoyable to watch!

Edited by Dharl

In the not too distant past it was very common for powered commercial boats to push lock gates open, varying from leaving the boat in gear against the top gate and it opening once the water levels had equalised to bumping the top gates fairly hard in order to place a wedge into the gap between the gates / gate and bank. The former was to save on physical effort whilst the latter was to save time.

The subject of bumping and wedging top gates open has been discussed at some length in the History and Heritage section of this Forum. The link below demonstrates this practice at 8 minutes and 30 seconds captain.gif

I would suggest those of a critical disposition do not watch this film.

Good God,a fella could do himself a serious mischief jammin' a lock key down his jeans in such a reckless manner.blink.png

Absolutely ridiculous ..... But if the bottom gates are very badly leaking it could be this is the only way to open the top-gate??

Darren

Not at that speed. If, on rare occasions, it is hel;pful to use boat power, then do so at zero forward speed. And take extreme care. The gate may be not moving for a reason.

In the not too distant past it was very common for powered commercial boats to push lock gates open, varying from leaving the boat in gear against the top gate and it opening once the water levels had equalised to bumping the top gates fairly hard in order to place a wedge into the gap between the gates / gate and bank. The former was to save on physical effort whilst the latter was to save time.

The subject of bumping and wedging top gates open has been discussed at some length in the History and Heritage section of this Forum. The link below demonstrates this practice at 8 minutes and 30 seconds captain.gif

I would suggest those of a critical disposition do not watch this film.

Ah. The old ways. Thankfully a past that's gone and aint coming back.

Though perhaps not a good choice of video to show given what happened at Atherstone lock 6 the other week! It was someone (not a working boat) ramming the top gate that took the gate out of the cup, and broke the cup away from the cill.

• 2 weeks later...

I did notice that the film was uploaded eight months ago so I can only apologise if I have mislead.

Given the age of the girl in the push chair, it is indeed more recent than five years ago, certainly plenty of people including those in the film are still boating boats like those shown, in the manner shown.

I will strap in (close the top gate with the back line) with EmilyAnne if the things are in place to do it. We normally don't push gates, but do sometimes gently the lock wheeler with the engine if the lock is struggling to become level.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Given the shocking and blatant evidence is that query relevant?

Er - yes?

It looks terrible, and is clearly an abuse of the infrastructure. And I bet you couldn't point out any damage that the boat had done

I'm happy to be proved wrong

Richard

Er - yes?

It looks terrible, and is clearly an abuse of the infrastructure. And I bet you couldn't point out any damage that the boat had done

I'm happy to be proved wrong

Richard

I bet I (and C&RT) could rolleyes.gif

Told by CRT worker today that yes they had not closed a paddle and have been found and are being billed for all work and materials

If nothing else CRT should publicise as widely as possible, so that it acts a warning to others who deliberately misuse ageing assets.

Edited to remove a spurious echo (duplicated word).

Edited by cuthound
  • Greenie 1

I agree with the sentiment but how do C&RT prove that all damage is down to that one boat?

Well seeing as video was taken after 1st attempt failed I think you would take into consideration any reports of previous problems ? The prat had left a paddle up and I cannot really seeing much of a case of justification.

Absolutely ridiculous ..... But if the bottom gates are very badly leaking it could be this is the only way to open the top-gate??

Darren

Totally agree Darren, it certainly looks like there is a leak and the only way out is to use that method, I have had to do this many times in the past not only on CRT waterways but places like the Rochdale in Manchester, his crew seems to be a bit slow off the mark pushing but I don't see anything wrong IF the lock was leaking, that's down to CRT maintenance.

Totally agree Darren, it certainly looks like there is a leak and the only way out is to use that method, I have had to do this many times in the past not only on CRT waterways but places like the Rochdale in Manchester, his crew seems to be a bit slow off the mark pushing but I don't see anything wrong IF the lock was leaking, that's down to CRT maintenance.

Oh dear.

read my post they had left paddle up !

Even if the situation was due to leaking gates wouldn't it be best to contact CRT first before creating another leaky gate?

Edited by bassplayer