Piper Narrowboat ramming a lock gate

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

Perhaps a member can tell me where this is

The description says Granary Wharf, which is the basin in Leeds. I think this is Office Lock, which brings you out of the basin on to the L&L proper.

It is Office Lock and the gates I recall were new last year.

A-hole.

Can't wait to see him if he comes up our way.

It is a shame there is no obvious name or number on the boat.

Edited by RichardH

I hope that tw*t is traced and licence refused.

If the numbskull neanderthal needed to push open the gates, he could have put his bote at the vee and open the throttle.

Can't be that hard to trace. Distinctive window patterns, colour and flags. Owner that can't talk, only dribble.

Edited by mark99

I hope that tw*t is traced and licence refused.

If the numbskull neanderthal needed to push open the gates, he could have put his bote at the vee and open the throttle.

An alternative is to tie a decent & strong rope to the end of the balance beam and to a bollard at the other end of the lock. Get it as tight as you can, and then stand at the mid point and move it sideways, either by hand or leaning against it. This gives a significant mechanical advantage.

• Greenie 3

Yes, thanks RichardH. I'm appalled at the behaviour in the video, cannot understand it. I would call CRT out if I could not get out of that lock. In my experience they are v responsive if navigation is not possible, came quickly on BH when we were stuck below a lock flight

Val

Absolutely ridiculous ..... But if the bottom gates are very badly leaking it could be this is the only way to open the top-gate??

Darren

When faced with similar situation coming up a lock into Leicester, single-handing and with no one around to help, I hooked a rope over the bow T stud and tied it to end of one of the top gate beams. There was just enough room to back diagonally with the help of a few revs, and pull gate open. Just a tad more gentle than that depicted in video rolleyes.gif

Perhaps he had read that one could push gates open gently using boat.

Perhaps he didn't understand gently

Perhaps he's a complete and utter............

hopefully he will be traced and the error of his ways explained

he should at least foot bill for damage

He needs lessons on how to manage sticking lock gates

Cannot find a link to this elsewhere, apologies if there is: link to you tube

Perhaps a member can tell me where this is, terrible abuse, you can see the gate bending[/quote

That is disgusting behaviour helmsman should be identified photographed and put up on a rogues gallery. Er have we got one?

I could be wrong but if you look carefully at the box paddle on the left hand side of the vid on the same side as the chap on the bank it looks like the white indicator line is not present in the middle (between the 2 painted lines)

If this is the case, it would indicate that the numnut has left the ground paddle open hence why the lock maybe didn't match correctly.

Maybe it's not deliberate abuse, just ignorance, a lack of understanding of the nature of mass and momentum. No excuse I know but some folk come straight from the world of cars with their braking and steering systems to a canal boat not realising the implications. Of course I could be wrong and he is a bit of a t###.

The reading under the video, says a boat named Piper.makes it easier to trace,also title makes it sound like Piper is the make of the boat, nora.

I think the person writing that description must have seen the word "PIPER" on the boat (visible in the video, just below the back deck) and misinterpreted it as being the name of the boat. In fact it is the name of the manufacturer, as the title of this thread suggests.

No excuse I know but some folk come straight from the world of cars with their braking and steering systems to a canal boat not realising the implications. Of course I could be wrong and he is a bit of a ####t.

I can't imagine many people using this approach in their car to open a gate!

Edited by DHutch