Hydraulic control for engine speed

jenevers

Featured Posts

Never seen or heard of such a thing - you are trailblazing here

Richard

I presume he's referring to the hydraulic combined speed/gear control fitted to give remote control of UC boxes. Fairly massive kit, with a big handweel at the steering position.

I've probably got a pic in a gearbox manual, I'll have a look later on.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Never seen or heard of such a thing - you are trailblazing here

Richard

See paragraph 26, marine engine supplement.

I'm intrigued as to why the OP is so keen for a pic. Surely either you have this kit or you don't?

I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

Tim

I haven't got the kit.

I'm thinking of installing an electro-hydraulic ram on the gear lever of the 2UC to make gear changing easier.

Thought a picture would give me a guide.

See paragraph 26, marine engine supplement.

I haven't got the kit.

I'm thinking of installing an electro-hydraulic ram on the gear lever of the 2UC to make gear changing easier.

Thought a picture would give me a guide.

Wouldn't using such loose you the feel in the linkage allowing possibility of serious damage to gearbox control if something jammed? Simple remote hydraulic linkage would probably be OK but the potential power in electro hydraulics sounds unhealthy.

Wouldn't using such loose you the feel in the linkage allowing possibility of serious damage to gearbox control if something jammed? Simple remote hydraulic linkage would probably be OK but the potential power in electro hydraulics sounds unhealthy.

What could jam?

If the travel of the ram was set up exactly, possibly with a degree of flex at the end of each stroke I can't see a problem. But I'm open to suggestions. .

What could jam?

If the travel of the ram was set up exactly, possibly with a degree of flex at the end of each stroke I can't see a problem. But I'm open to suggestions. .

Well probably nothing. It was the issue that you may be employing a system with much greater power than a manual one, with no feedback to indicate anything was wrong, however unlikely that may be. Certainly raises reliability issues as well.

Having said that I did see a Lister CS2 engined boat with electric (throttle and transmission) controls, which certainly put me off buying it. Only have pictures of the controls though, so unlikely to be helpful.