Who Better Than To Sell Your Boat? Boatfinder Brokerage at Overwater Marina

Doorman

Featured Posts

After owning our narrowboat Elouise for five years and enjoying every aspect of a life living aboard, due to my little wife's further deterioration in her health, we decided that it was time sell the boat and return to a house on the bank. A decision made with much deliberation.

Finding a suitable broker was made easy with the knowledge that the Boatfinder Brokerage had an office close by and situated within the Overwater Marina complex that was just a couple of locks down from our linear mooring in Audlem. Given also, that we'd heard good reports about their professional approach, this decision was agreed upon without much hesitation.

From the outset, we were impressed with the courtesy and consideration afforded to us not only by the friendly Brokerage staff, but also the marina personnel whom assist in accompanied viewings. An excellent working partnership is clearly in evidence here. Within a week of advertising, a suitable buyer was sourced and the sales proceeds promptly deposited into our bank account. We could not have wished for a more seamless process and apart from the arduous task of removing our possessions from the boat, the whole transition was effortless.

The age old addage of; "No sentiment in business" does not apply with the staff at Boatfinder Brokerage, nor Overwater Marina for that matter. We were shown utmost respect, politeness and boundless compassion throughout the very short time that our boat was listed on the books of this fine establishment.

They indeed set a very high standard for others to follow!

Mike & Chrissie

(Formerly nb Elouise)

After owning our narrowboat Elouise for five years and enjoying every aspect of a life living aboard, due to my little wife's further deterioration in her health, we decided that it was time sell the boat and return to a house on the bank. A decision made with much deliberation.

Finding a suitable broker was made easy with the knowledge that the Boatfinder Brokerage had an office close by and situated within the Overwater Marina complex that was just a couple of locks down from our linear mooring in Audlem. Given also, that we'd heard good reports about their professional approach, this decision was agreed upon without much hesitation.

From the outset, we were impressed with the courtesy and consideration afforded to us not only by the friendly Brokerage staff, but also the marina personnel whom assist in accompanied viewings. An excellent working partnership is clearly in evidence here. Within a week of advertising, a suitable buyer was sourced and the sales proceeds promptly deposited into our bank account. We could not have wished for a more seamless process and apart from the arduous task of removing our possessions from the boat, the whole transition was effortless.

The age old addage of; "No sentiment in business" does not apply with the staff at Boatfinder Brokerage, nor Overwater Marina for that matter. We were shown utmost respect, politeness and boundless compassion throughout the very short time that our boat was listed on the books of this fine establishment.

They indeed set a very high standard for others to follow!

Mike & Chrissie

(Formerly nb Elouise)

Other brokerages are available...

No, it's nice when things work out without any hassle. I wish house sales went so smoothly, although that's a thing of the past in my life now.

No, it's nice when things work out without any hassle. I wish house sales went so smoothly, although that's a thing of the past in my life now.

I agree it's great that it all went so smoothly...being in the process of selling, the boatshed brokerage have been really good to us.

As for buying a house...well, let's just say that once i'm over that trauma it's unlikely I will ever decide to move unless someone does something to call conveyancing solicitors to account. People slag off estate agents but the agent for the person we are buying from has worked really hard to get things sorted. Unfortunately, both sets of solicitors seem to think the world revolves around them. Disgraceful.

A cautionary tale exists within my post.

We are fortunate that we had a house to return to, as all too often we had met similar liveaboards whom had sold homes in order to fund their life on the water. Nothing wrong with that decision whilst you are in good health and in our particuar case, I truly believe that the calm serenity of canal living has indeed helped prolong my wife's life.

But, should your health falter and you find that living within the confines of a narrow boat is bo longer comfortable nor practical, then without a house to fall back on leaves you somewhat stranded in an unenviable situation. More prudent if possible, to fund the purchase of your boat with the release of any equity in the property and then rent it out on a short term tenancy basis. The latter is exactly what we have done.

And yes, as you quite rightly state, there are other Brokers. One of which belongs to Dominic Miles of Rugby Boats, who did a sterling job in selling our first boat within three days of its listing.

I have taken the time to post on here in this instance, out of sheer gratitude towards the staff of both the brokerage and the marina, whom went beyond the call of duty to effect the sale of our boat in as short a time as possible, with the least amount of disruption to our day to day lives. They were all so very helpful.

• Greenie 1

Hi Mike looked out for you in Audlem a few weeks ago and now understand why I did not find you. You will both be a loss to the waterways and Chrissie is often in my thoughts. You are both on my list of nice genuine people I have met on my travels.

Thanks John,

It's the likes of you and the infamous Nick Norman (who really is a great guy to know personally) whom we'll miss from our lives without the boat. The canals are full of interesting people with tremendous life stories to listen to and a far cry from urban life on dry land!

Mike

>>> I have taken the time to post on here in this instance, out of sheer gratitude towards the staff of both the brokerage and the marina, whom went beyond the call of duty to effect the sale of our boat in as short a time as possible, with the least amount of disruption to our day to day lives. They were all so very helpful. <<<

I don't disagree in any way, but the fact remains that a clean, well maintained, well presented boat will sell, while a floating shed will hang around for months.

You probably deserve some of the credit yourselves. All the best for the future.

(edited to include both members of the Doorman team)

Edited by Machpoint005

A cautionary tale exists within my post.

But, should your health falter....

Indeed. I have a genetic problem which eventually forced my older brother to have to give up his boat home. He found a charity run residential/care flat up North and seems pretty happy.

Ironically it's one of the reasons I retired early and decided to live on a boat! One thing I have learnt is to enjoy each day and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Edited to wish you all the best for the future (I must learn to read everything properly!)

Edited by bassplayer

I don't disagree in any way, but the fact remains that a clean, well maintained, well presented boat will sell, while a floating shed will hang around for months.

You probably deserve some of the credit yourselves. All the best for the future.

(edited to include both members of the Doorman team)

Thanks Machpoint005,

When selling our first boat, it was presented as you describe and indeed Dominic Miles remarked; "I'll bet you you could eat your dinner off the engine room floor!" when he viewed the immaculate cabin space. But sadly on this occasion, due to our circumstances, I didn't have the time to prepare the boat for the handover and felt quite ashamed of its condition when the very understanding new owners came on board.

I have little doubt that the main selling point apart from the well presented advertisement, was that the boat was a five year old Hudson boat and the new owners whom have previously owned two other Hudsons, had witnessed ours being built at Glascote Basin. We had commisioned her with a high specification in the belief that it would be our home for many years.

I truly hope that the couple enjoy the boat as much as we did, but get the opportunity to cruise the system which sadly we never could due to hospital visits. The boat only had 2000 engine hours and most of them where used in reversing down two locks to use the facilities at Overwater Marina.

Mike

Very sorry to hear you are having to give up the life afloat. You had a lovely spot at Audlem, I'm sure you will miss it sorely. Anyway, amidst all the gloom at least you had a good experience with selling Elouise. I wish you all the best for your return to land-lubbing.

and the infamous Nick Norman (who really is a great guy to know personally)

Hmmm, are you trying to tell me something?

I trust you will continue to contribute to this forum?

I shall probably spend more time contributing to the web site 'Anglo Info' as ultimately I intend on living in Britanny, France.

As a form of compensation for losing our lovely canal style life, I have invested in properties across the channel at what can only be described as stunning value for money. I might even chance one of those plastic boats that amble along the Canal du Midi, along with our retained Buckby cans and decorated barrel and instead of the famed red neckerchief and flat cap, I'll opt for a string of onions and a beret.

The poor French won't know what's hit them!

I shall probably spend more time contributing to the web site 'Anglo Info' as ultimately I intend on living in Britanny, France.

As a form of compensation for losing our lovely canal style life, I have invested in properties across the channel at what can only be described as stunning value for money. I might even chance one of those plastic boats that amble along the Canal du Midi, along with our retained Buckby cans and decorated barrel and instead of the famed red neckerchief and flat cap, I'll opt for a string of onions and a beret.

The poor French won't know what's hit them!

They managed to survive Tim and Pru bumping their way along the French waterways so you should be OK.

Thanks Machpoint005,

When selling our first boat, it was presented as you describe and indeed Dominic Miles remarked; "I'll bet you you could eat your dinner off the engine room floor!" when he viewed the immaculate cabin space. But sadly on this occasion, due to our circumstances, I didn't have the time to prepare the boat for the handover and felt quite ashamed of its condition when the very understanding new owners came on board.

I have little doubt that the main selling point apart from the well presented advertisement, was that the boat was a five year old Hudson boat and the new owners whom have previously owned two other Hudsons, had witnessed ours being built at Glascote Basin. We had commisioned her with a high specification in the belief that it would be our home for many years.

I truly hope that the couple enjoy the boat as much as we did, but get the opportunity to cruise the system which sadly we never could due to hospital visits. The boat only had 2000 engine hours and most of them where used in reversing down two locks to use the facilities at Overwater Marina.

Mike

We are new owners of Elouise. Took delivery at the start of the month and are thrilled to bits with it. It really has the perfect specification for us and all within 60'. Rest assured that Elouise will be well cared for.

We also endorse Mike's experience of Boatfinder Brokerage. They gave a professional and friendly service and kept us informed all through the process.

Tony and Jenny.

We are new owners of Elouise. Took delivery at the start of the month and are thrilled to bits with it. It really has the perfect specification for us and all within 60'. Rest assured that Elouise will be well cared for.

We also endorse Mike's experience of Boatfinder Brokerage. They gave a professional and friendly service and kept us informed all through the process.

Tony and Jenny.

Good to know it's staying in the family. I'm being totally nosy but just wondering why sell JR2 and buy Elouise? Did you just want a shorter boat?

It will be sad not to have you two on the cut, but then we are all only here for a finite time.

We are gong up the the Shroppie right now so will be passing your old mooring tomorrow.

Couldn't face gong up the Trent and Mersey this year as the bloke who died in the tunnel was a friend of ours.

Living on a boat is a great life but it does have its sad bits.

..............Dave,

Good to know it's staying in the family. I'm being totally nosy but just wondering why sell JR2 and buy Elouise? Did you just want a shorter boat?

We don't mind you being nosy biggrin.png.

JR2 was built when we had our son living with us and the boatmans cabin was ideal for him. Also I wanted a vintage Gardner. However, a 71' 6" Hudson boat weighing in at over 26 tonnes before fuel and possessions were on board proved too much for Jenny to handle and she said she needed 4 hands to steer, control the throttle, change gear and work the bow thruster (yes, one was fitted!) biggrin.png Also son left home a few years ago and we no longer need all that space.

We therefore decided to sell and downsize.and Elouise fitted the bill admirably.

Tony

That must have been such a tough decision for you & Chrissie but obviously the right one for you.

We'll certainly miss catching up with you when we pass through Audlem - it won't be the same without the pair of you there to have a few beers with (usually a few too many :lol:)

Dave & I wish the pair of you all the very best and hope our paths will cross again one day :cheers:

Hugs to Chrissie x