2LW revs and is it possible to up them?

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

By using one of the many online calculators..or contact Crowthers or Axiom with accurate details of your boats waterline length, beam, draught, uxter clearance, weight ,engine hp/torque etc and let the experts in narrow boat props tell you what you need to know.

How do you work out the pitch of a prop?

By using one of the many online calculators..or contact Crowthers or Axiom with accurate details of your boats waterline length, beam, draught, uxter clearance, weight ,engine hp/torque etc and let the experts in narrow boat props tell you what you need to know.

Practically, the prop will allow the engine to reach maximum rpm on open water; a large, deep harbour or the open sea but will be economically over-propped on most English canals and rivers.

Personally, I find the ability to crawl into a lock at minimum rpm more useful than racing the flotilla of boats, all exceeding the 5mph speed limit, between Thames locks.

Alan

No, I mean how do you work out the pitch of the prop that's already on your boat. Its easy to measure the diameter but not its pitch.

Edited by jenevers

Hi,

It should be stamped on the 'rim' of the shaft hole - visible only when the boat is out of the water and the prop removed.

On a previous boat I had, the left hand drive prop had an obscure Lister taper and prop and the imprint had been obliterated to avoid confusion.

I installed a new shaft and renewed the prop as the replacement gearbox was for right hand props only.

I fitted a replacement second hand prop which slightly over propped the boat - it stopped 'on a sixpence' and was great on canals and gave quite good results on rivers (30 ft boat - 1.5 BMC).

Not sure what sized prop the current boat has (48ft Boat - 2LW), it goes nicely and life is too short to get involved in the 'dark art' of prop sizing.

As has been said, Crowthers are the best firm to help getting the right size of prop and for you to provide the best info it's best to have the boat slipped.

IMG_1460.jpg

In this pic the boat has just been slipped, the anode is close the the rear of the swim, it has six anodes per side to provide good coverage/protection.

L.

Edited by LEO

My 2LW does not have an 'Advance retard device' fitted. I have not checked the timming marks but assume the engine is set in the retarded position as it starts so well. Would this have the effect of not letting the engine rev out under load?

Do others with 2LW 's have the Advance Retard device fitted to their engines?

My 2LW does not have an 'Advance retard device' fitted. I have not checked the timming marks but assume the engine is set in the retarded position as it starts so well. Would this have the effect of not letting the engine rev out under load?

No. As referred to earlier you need to check that your governor and injector pump are adjusted correctly. Follow the setting up procedure to the letter. Should your engine not rev to its rated rpm when under normal load you have another problem, which is more than likely to be the prop.

Not all 2LWs have the advance and retard mechanism fitted. More relevant on larger Gardners used in vehicle applications.

Thank you for the information. I will check that the governor and injector pump are adjusted correctly and report back. It may be a couple of weeks as we are presently creeping round north London to eventually get on the R Lee and Stort. If it's deep and wide I'll give it a blast! Bet it's the prop.

Hi,

It should be stamped on the 'rim' of the shaft hole - visible only when the boat is out of the water and the prop removed.

L.

Yes but I mean How do you WORK it out? ie. by looking at the blade angle, area, number of blades etc.

I'll start this as a new topic so more people will see it.

Edited by jenevers

• 3 months later...

Time to report back! I have checked that the governor and injector pump are adjusted correctly as per advice on the forum. It was spot on. I have had plenty of time up and down the Thames flat out and my conclusion is .................... it's over propped. (As others said that it could well be). The boat behaves so well in canals I am reluctant to change it. I will just have to accept that on my occasional trips on rivers I can't go flat out and red line my 2lw.

Thanks for all your help.

• Greenie 1

• 9 months later...