Canal & River Trust Seeks New Members For Its Governing Council

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

2 June

Canal & River Trust seeks new members for its governing Council

The Canal & River Trust is calling on people to stand for election to the charity’s governing Council, with nominations opening on 11 September, before voting in November.

The Council is made up of 40 nominated, co-opted or elected members as well as the Chairs of the waterway partnerships. Together they reflect the wide appeal of the waterways – from boating and angling through to walking and conservation. The Council is responsible for the appointment of Trustees, helps to shape policies and provides guidance and perspective to Trustees.

This year’s elections will decide four posts representing the interests of private boaters, two representing boating businesses, a post representing the Trust’s staff, and for the first time, elected posts for volunteers and people who make a regular donation to the Trust.

Those interested in standing for election will need sponsors and to prepare their manifesto. Council members take up their four-year volunteer post from March 2016.

Tony Hales, chairman of the Canal & River Trust, says: “This is a fantastic opportunity for people with a passion for the waterways to get involved with our work, and particularly in how the Trust is governed. Nominations open in September but we’re appealing for candidates now so that people have time to get prepared. We can offer support and advice throughout the election process, so do get in touch if you are interested.”

The election process will be run independently of the Trust by Electoral Reform Services (ERS) and it will be an online process. Anyone keen to stand for election, or anyone who may have a query about eligibility or the election process, can find out more at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/governance/the-council/

Tony Hales, chairman of the Canal & River Trust, says: “This is a fantastic opportunity for people with a passion for the waterways to get involved with our work, and particularly in how the Trust is governed."

I nominate Tom Crossley / Victor Swift. ninja.gif

Edited by Ray T

Tony Hales, chairman of the Canal & River Trust, says: “This is a fantastic opportunity for people with a passion for the waterways to get involved with our work, and particularly in how the Trust is governed."

I nominate Tom Crossley / Victor Swift. ninja.gif

Rosie and Jim have made a much more useful contribution to our waterways.

Mango, I must agree. My comment was very firmly tongue in cheek.

So was mine. Though Rosie and Jim are well known characters, their CVs show little evidence of achievement and quite frankly they are both rather wooly headed.

So was mine. Though Rosie and Jim are well known characters, their CVs show little evidence of achievement and quite frankly they are both rather wooly headed.

I don't think Rosie and Jim ever said unpleasant and quite untrue things about other members of the canal boating community. I wish the same could be said of all the IWA sponsored candidates that managed to get elected last time around!

VOTE FINCHER.

You would need to persuade me it is actually worth standing again, I'm afraid.

I don't think Rosie and Jim ever said unpleasant and quite untrue things about other members of the canal boating community. I wish the same could be said of all the IWA sponsored candidates that managed to get elected last time around!

Ray and I are simply making facetious comments.

You would need to persuade me it is actually worth standing again, I'm afraid.

If you don't, I'll re-train your dog and it won't be pretty. :D

Am I the only one who thinks.

Given the cost of the licence boaters should get a vote in all CRT elections

Well they do for the boater representatives on Council (each 4 years).

What other elections are there where they should get a vote, then?

I'd vote again for Alan any day but as he says, it seems rather futile. Politics is a difficult game to play and the honest peeps are best out of it...

Oh that's a harsh view that perpetuates dishonesty!

Vote Fincher to break the mold!