Excess weed growth on my hull

border collie

Featured Posts

Can anyone suggest how I can remove the huge growth of weed on and below my waterline that has appeared within the past 4-6 weeks? My home berth is in a marina basin off a river in the south west of England.

Her hull was blacked August 2014. I have never before seen such a rapid long and thick growth of weed. Presumably it's the result of a warm April into May along with high water nutrient levels from the density of residential boats in the basin. I am afraid it will seriously impede progress when I set off cruising at the beginning of July.

I am reluctant simply to take a brush to it as this I'm afraid could remove the blacking. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tx. B.C.

I can't see what the problem is. It's weed, It won't stop your boat moving. Just leave it.

weed will slow you down, increase the load on your engine and increase your fuel consumption. How much will depend on how much weed there is!

Would suggest giving it a scrub with a long handled deck brush followed by a good fast (as allowed) passage to keep it off. Regular use of the boat will slow down any growth.

Had one ship which after not moving for a while had over 2m long weed growth and we could only use the engine at half speed (but with same fuel consumption as full speed) until we could get divers down to clean her. She had been moored off West Africa for 6 months mind you!!

Question: If moored on a River, possible brackish water rather than Fresh depending how close you are to the Sea, is blacking the right covering for the underwater section or would anti-fouling paint be more appropriate?

Take the boat out of the marina and moor up near some ducks, they will soon clear the weed from your hull, but expect to be woken up about 4am as the peck it off the hull.

I was going to say that...and we've just had a load of signets pecking away at the weed today. Interestingly the parents couldn't be arsed. Maybe they are waiting for the the wholemeal bread in the morning...

Well my experience today when cooking dinner.

Looked up and down the canal by sticking my head out of the window.

Heard an almighty splash.

I had spooked about five ducklings and mother.

Their reaction spooked me.

Don't know which of us where more spooked lol

weed will slow you down, increase the load on your engine and increase your fuel consumption. How much will depend on how much weed there is!

Would suggest giving it a scrub with a long handled deck brush followed by a good fast (as allowed) passage to keep it off. Regular use of the boat will slow down any growth.

Had one ship which after not moving for a while had over 2m long weed growth and we could only use the engine at half speed (but with same fuel consumption as full speed) until we could get divers down to clean her. She had been moored off West Africa for 6 months mind you!!

Question: If moored on a River, possible brackish water rather than Fresh depending how close you are to the Sea, is blacking the right covering for the underwater section or would anti-fouling paint be more appropriate?

+1 for the long-handled deck brush and a cruise.

As others have said:- go boating.

Plus one.

Using the boat will quickly result in much of it disappearing, (unless you are one or two of the boats I have followed recently not moving fast enough to remove anything! :lol:).

After that, any residual growth isn't worth worrying about.