Weathering the storms.

johnmck

Featured Posts

Well we took quite a battering yesterday and overnight here in Skipton, although a friendly building afforded us some shelter.

More high winds predicted for today, so we are staying put.

Hope you all survived intact.

Wot weather ?

Had a very pleasant 5 hours on the Trent yesterday - sharp shower as we approached Holme lock, but had to wait whilst 3 NBs penned down so sat inside with tea and butties.

Have not seen so many NBs on the move for at least a couple of years.

Did get 'stuck on the side' in the wind tunnel at Castle Lock but no biggy.

We were sat at home listening to the rain and wind beating against the windows relieved that we got the boat back to Burton Waters when we did.

We definately made the right call to come back from Wells last Wednesday afternoon, we would still be stuck there now if we had decided to hold out for better weather. blink.png

We were sat at home listening to the rain and wind beating against the windows relieved that we got the boat back to Burton Waters when we did.

We definately made the right call to come back from Wells last Wednesday afternoon, we would still be stuck there now if we had decided to hold out for better weather. blink.png

There's a certain amount of Relief and Smugness when we make a call, stick to it, and it all works out like that isn't there NC !.

Wild at Alvechurch. We really need to get down Tardebigge today, which may be a little challenging in the wind. Hoping that the rain overnight will have run off the Salwarpe before we get there on the Driotwich, and that the Severn is OK for the run up to Stourport.

MP.

Must be the "Calm before the storm" in Market Drayton, overcast with a light drizzle. Debating whether to continue on towards Norbury Junction or to lay-up for awhile. I don't need to be back at Gailey until Fri AM.

Not much rain to speak of here on the norther section of the Lee, but the wind did manage to rock us about a bit last night. Think we'll stay put till tomorrow when they are calling for less winds and a nicer day, before making our turn and heading back down south

Well, I think I can top the lot of you! Perhaps a little foolishly, we came out of Keadby just before 5pm, and made it to Torksey four and a half hours later. Three foot waves are flipping scary. The journey made the trip from Naburn to Goole Docks the previous day look like a picnic, even though that was choppy enough. Our Bristol Channel trip a few years ago wasn't nearly as scary.

Edited by homer2911

Wild at Alvechurch. We really need to get down Tardebigge today, which may be a little challenging in the wind. Hoping that the rain overnight will have run off the Salwarpe before we get there on the Driotwich, and that the Severn is OK for the run up to Stourport.

MP.

The Severn is still very low at Stourport, only came up about 2" overnight. Surprisingly calm here last night, relatively speaking.

With the weather warnings did an early (well for us anyway) 8am start yesterday on the Aire and Calder from Woodlesford down to Heck Bridge arrived about 1pm after stopping for water at Whitley lock.

What a pain that was. You have to come out of the lock then double back on yourself against the by-wash (which looks like an old parallel lock that is now just left open. Forwards in and reverse out, or reverse in and forward out?? I decided the latter. To add to it there was a line of plastic moored each side.

Anyway. Wind didnt get up till abut 3pm along with the rain and lasted through till 10pm

Still in the same spot after a quiet night, waiting for this afternoons gusts to come through in about 2 hrs.

Looking forward to calmer days to follow in time for our first Trent trip.

Thanks for that. Are you still in dock? Receiving passing visitors?

MP.

Still at the boatyard but high hopes of escaping this afternoon for a test run down to the Burf for the pub tonight. The river has come up by about 2" more today so still well down in the green sector.

With such a strong southerly wind I bet the lockies thought you a little foolish too. I am of course assuming you ignored advice?

Well, I think I can top the lot of you! Perhaps a little foolishly, we came out of Keadby just before 5pm, and made it to Torksey four and a half hours later. Three foot waves are flipping scary. The journey made the trip from Naburn to Goole Docks the previous day look like a picnic, even though that was choppy enough. Our Bristol Channel trip a few years ago wasn't nearly as scary.

We entered the Dukes cut and it was a bit blowey today. As we went on the Thames the wind suddenly was a real handfull. The lockie saw us skidding down the Thames sideways and opened the gates for us beckoning us in - we made the turn.... just.... and now moored below kings lock ties to trees. Literally blowing a hooligan.

Edited by mark99

With such a strong southerly wind I bet the lockies thought you a little foolish too. I am of course assuming you ignored advice?

I think that assumption is more than a little insulting - neither the Keadby or the Torksey lockie made any comment at all. In short, no we did not ignore any advice.

Todays leg on the Trent was interesting (Beeston to Sawley)

Lost my lunch - a plate of sandwiches that blew overboard, a mug of tea went the same way - face battered by spray off the top of the waves.

It was particularly rough coming out of Cranfleet cut into the main stream with the boat we were with starting to 'boil-up' and getting slower an slower until we were doing about 1mph.

About 5 hours - a slow trip.