Not the best thing to happen on a holiday

MajorB

Featured Posts

I'm surprised more don't get caught out there TBH. I remember that bridge from childhood broads holidays along with it's sister one further along the line. They are over the entrance to the cut that leads to Thorpe St Andrew where we used to hire from. It's a nice spot to moor so I guess they thought it worth the risk to try and squeeze under, clearly it wasn't in the end.

There are very visible height boards on that pair of bridges!

Ah but that of course depends on the steerer knowing the air draught of the boat. That said of course ISTR loads of broads hire boats have it on a notice near the wheel., there will of course always be someone who thinks they know better, clear this person thought they did.

Ah but that of course depends on the steerer knowing the air draught of the boat. That said of course ISTR loads of broads hire boats have it on a notice near the wheel., there will of course always be someone who thinks they know better, clear this person thought they did.

Certainly the ones we hired had the bots air draft displayed at the helm.

And we found out this was very much on the pessimistic side when the yard staff managed to thread the boat through Wroxham Bridge when the gauge board was reading some 6 inches lower then the air draft given at the helm. It still went through the bridge ohmy.png

Just happened to be chatting to someone who runs a hire boat company just round the corner last night - apparently they had got IN - musta been at low tide! They were actually trying to get OUT again..

Lots of crush damage to the boat as the tide came in. Further gossip has it that they had been spotted speeding multiple times during the preceding days - hope they're made to pay more than the usual damage waiver..

Just happened to be chatting to someone who runs a hire boat company just round the corner last night - apparently they had got IN - musta been at low tide! They were actually trying to get OUT again..

Lots of crush damage to the boat as the tide came in. Further gossip has it that they had been spotted speeding multiple times during the preceding days - hope they're made to pay more than the usual damage waiver..

They are reporting low tides on the Broads this morning.

One boat we know of was stuck in the mud at Rockland Staithe this morning biggrin.png

A pal of mine was bridge pilot at Wroxham and one year 3 boats attempted to go through without his input, and high tide meant they took the tops off the boats. Another event at Beccles saw a chap pin his wife to the front if the bridge, he had the good sense to duck down.

Phil

You may laugh but early on in my boating life, we tried the Broads. In the top quality 10 minute handover, no one told us there was any rise and fall......we nearly came a cropper like these people.

no one told us there was any rise and fall......we nearly came a cropper like these people.

The chap who taught me how to do rag and stick boating was a gentleman who hailed from Antigua. He was an excellent sailor and good teacher. He came over here to do some RYA courses, unfortunately no-one had told him that the tide goes out in dear old Blighty.......

The steering wheel is the same height as the bridge...how'd he not see it I wonder? or was their a flow which pulled them towards it.......and they reacted to slowly...

I think that's the flying bridge you can see in the photo, there's a second set of controls inside which I guess were being used.

I think that's the flying bridge you can see in the photo, there's a second set of controls inside which I guess were being used.

I believe that is correct. That class of boat almost certainly has dual steering positions.