Site is back, after Monday 1st June disruption

Featured Posts

Wrong, I'm afraid. All I need to do is put the URL for your CWDF avatar picture into Google Image Search, and I can find you on Facebook, and various Jack Russell and Motorhome forums. Nobody needs to have told me your name.

Scary world out there eh!

We are going a bit off topic (doh) however, a few winters ago I made a sign with my house number on it for the new house, and was about to put it on facebook when I released that actually that might a step too far! Its not a big town, the house number is large enough it narrows it down to one of about four streets, and all in all.... TMI!

That said, while I often omit my surname, and have paid for 'whois' protection on canalworld.net to deter the odd lazy hater, but ultimately am instead simple very aware that is someone wanted to find out information about me they most likely can in this day and age, I have nothing to hide, and typically loose little sleep over it.

Daniel

Wrong, I'm afraid.

All I need to do is put the URL for your CWDF avatar picture into Google Image Search, and I can find you on Facebook, and various Jack Russell and Motorhome forums. Nobody needs to have told me your name.

An image search on my forum avatar won't tell you much about me!

I'm amazed that a site run by volunteers, only lost 1 days data...that is a miracle...well done all!

Quite agree with this.

The NHS trust I work for (which relies very heavily on email for all communications) lost all access to emails for 10 days at the start of March. When they finally got emails working again they lost all emails sent since November as that was the last good backup they had. They then blamed staff for not backing up their own emails!

Tom

Quite agree with this.

The NHS trust I work for (which relies very heavily on email for all communications) lost all access to emails for 10 days at the start of March. When they finally got emails working again they lost all emails sent since November as that was the last good backup they had. They then blamed staff for not backing up their own emails!

Tom

Yee gods as a senior retired IT professional for IBM we would have been fired for that. I hope the data centre manager got his P45 for that. If the system was implemented properly all emails should have been stored centrally on one or more mail servers. Local users should not have email stored locally. There would have been no hope responding to an FOI request

Yee gods as a senior retired IT professional for IBM we would have been fired for that. I hope the data centre manager got his P45 for that. If the system was implemented properly all emails should have been stored centrally on one or more mail servers. Local users should not have email stored locally. There would have been no hope responding to an FOI request

In fairness, the data centre manager has probably been banging on about the inadequate resources he has to work with, including a payroll with half the staff off sick (or is on long term sick himself), but keeps getting his budget cut back more and more. And in his last death throws of dignity before he too went off sick, probably stormed into his manager's office and told him in no uncertain terms that the email server was severely unstable, not backed up and moments away from going tits-up (a technical term).

But that's the NHS for you - or at least the approach it has to IT support.

I'm finding the forum is tediously slow to use since the restore. Pages taking typically 15 to 30 seconds to load.

Anyone else finding this?

(plus persistent 'out of memory' errors like before...)

On and off yes.

Briefly got the SQL database message earlier today. And lots of out of memory errors....

Edited by MJG

Helpful...

Dan, not only has Paul responded in exactly the same way in another thread but also some of us are getting a bit tired.......

The reason is, two separate updates were done, one yesterday 4pm and one 2pm today. We can backout a bad change if we know when it went worse. Yes, there's logs of all the errors but its a time consuming process to trawl through them and reach a meaningful conclusion and at the end of the day its not about statistics, its about getting a site working properly, despite having a huge amount of content and a large user base, on a limited budget.

The reason is, two separate updates were done, one yesterday 4pm and one 2pm today. We can backout a bad change if we know when it went worse. Yes, there's logs of all the errors but its a time consuming process to trawl through them and reach a meaning full conclusion and at the end of the day its not about statistics, its about getting a site working properly, despite having a huge amount of content and a large user base, on a limited budget.

Sorry Paul ... and I fully understand the 'limited' budget issue....but view new content drives me bluddy mad.....

Edited by MJG

FWIW, I'm not finding things radically different than from before the big restore.

Most things OK, "view new content intermittently very slow.

As a former database administrator the "VNC" thing seems horribly like it could be an issue with how the underlying database chooses to "optimise" access to the underlying data for the actual SQL command that the forum software is issuing.

I would love to see that SQL, and what something like an "explain plan" makes of it. What is the underlying database used for the forum, please?

FWIW, I'm not finding things radically different than from before the big restore.

Most things OK, "view new content intermittently very slow.

As a former database administrator the "VNC" thing seems horribly like it could be an issue with how the underlying database chooses to "optimise" access to the underlying data for the actual SQL command that the forum software is issuing.

I would love to see that SQL, and what something like an "explain plan" makes of it. What is the underlying database used for the forum, please?

MySQL 5.1.73cll but we're going to upgrade to MySQL 5.6 in the next few days. The database typically processes 30-35 queries/sec, I think you're right in the root of the issue is with the MySQL server but its not really feasible to step away from the queries ran, and the indexes, of the standard software.

MySQL 5.1.73cll but we're going to upgrade to MySQL 5.6 in the next few days.

Hmm,

Give me good old Oracle, and I reckon I could tell you what was wrong quite quickly, even a decade after I last did it for a living.

I don't know MySQL though, so unfortunately can't help'.

Well done to our unpaid team who are also holding down full time jobs and burning the midnight oil to keep the site going.

Thank you

Edited by Ange

MySQL 5.1.73cll but we're going to upgrade to MySQL 5.6 in the next few days. The database typically processes 30-35 queries/sec, I think you're right in the root of the issue is with the MySQL server but its not really feasible to step away from the queries ran, and the indexes, of the standard software.

MySQL should be able to handle that in its sleep.

myISAM or innodb (or something else)

MySQL performance can be dramatically altered by some tweaking of buffers

For reference, these are what we have set on a SERIOUSLY big database using myISAM

key_buffer_size=1024M

table_cache=1024

sort_buffer_size=256M

read_buffer_size=64M

query_cache_size=16M

read_rnd_buffer_size=64M

thread_cache_size=60

tmp_table_size=1024M

myisam_sort_buffer_size=256M

myisam_max_sort_file_size=65536M

I always have to be very careful when I do know a real name to remember whether somebody gets upset about where it is used.

In the case of someone like Martin, whilst Facebook doesn't show a great deal about him to someone who is not a "friend", it is still very obvious that it is him because of similar pictures to those he uses for an avatar on here, so it is not hard to identify a full name, despite his FB privacy settings.

Note I'm only using Martin as an example as he has come up. I think I have always managed to protect his privacy, but unfortunately on more than one occasion I have managed to use just a first name for somebody on CWDF, and have quickly been asked to edit it out. I do find it very hard to discuss stuff with someone on Facebook, to meet them at banters and use their real name, but to remember that I must not use their name, their boat's name, their boat's location, etc on CWDF.

(This isn't a complaint - I do realise why some want to some extent to control their anonymity, although I think sometimes they are not as anonymous to the world at large as they would like to think they are!)

It is tricky, particularly where people I know already arrive with a forum name and never mention their real name.

I am finding the forum virtually unusable this morning. Even just getting a reply window to open or making a post is taking an age or just doesn't happen at all.

Anybody else experiencing this?