Site is back, after Monday 1st June disruption

Featured Posts

well done Brains of CWDF but why did it have to happen on a day when we where all cabin'd up due to the weather.

Sod's law innit!

It would never happen when we're all boating on a bright, hot, summers day. That would be the day someone broke a lockgate. :-(

Yes,

Well done team!

In view of how many people seem to say "I'm not sure if I would miss the forum", it is surprising how much fretting there was in another place about its temporary absence!

Yes,Well done team!In view of how many people seem to say "I'm not sure if I would miss the forum", it is surprising how much fretting there was in another place about its temporary absence!

The FB page had more activity than I've ever seen and there was even talk of invading Just Canals except the consensus was the weight of traffic would probably break it!

Sad bunch aren't we :D

Yes,Well done team!In view of how many people seem to say "I'm not sure if I would miss the forum", it is surprising how much fretting there was in another place about its temporary absence!

I saw the activity on Facebook but declined to post on there given I would do under my full name.

It was fun matching forum names to names used on Facebook though....

I saw the activity on Facebook but declined to post on there given I would do under my full name.

It was fun matching forum names to names used on Facebook though....

I'm curious - why are you so coy about using your full name? It doesn't bother me (Angela Laws for anyone who's remotely interested)

No agenda just curious

I'm curious - why are you so coy about using your full name? It doesn't bother me (Angela Laws for anyone who's remotely interested)

No agenda just curious

Then you need to stay curious then. This site allows anonymity, why not respect that? Facebook is another matter unless you get your privacy settings correct.

Then you need to stay curious then. This site allows anonymity, why not respect that? Facebook is another matter unless you get your privacy settings correct.

It was a simple question with no agenda.

I was simply curious and no disrespect was intended.

Not aimed at Martin but this is one of the things that puzzles me on the internet. We've got members like Alan & Cath Fincher, David Schweizer, Dave Mayall who are happy to use their full names and some like John Sloan who links to his blog so it's easy to find his name. Why are others so worried? Unless a google search will find skeletons I can't see what the problem is. You certainly can't raid someone's bank account simply by knowing their full name.

We're all insignificant individuals who are part of a vast collective and unless we're a "celebrity" who really cares? I've put my name in my signature to put my money where my mouth is - I'm unimportant with very little money, no one cares.

Sorry very off topic but something I've puzzled about for a while :)

ETA and Phil Ambrose :)

Edited by Ange

Not aimed at Martin but this is one of the things that puzzles me on the internet. We've got members like Alan & Cath Fincher, David Schweizer, Dave Mayall who are happy to use their full names and some like John Sloan who links to his blog so it's easy to find his name. Why are others so worried? Unless a google search will find skeletons I can't see what the problem is. You certainly can't raid someone's bank account simply by knowing their full name.

We're all insignificant individuals who are part of a vast collective and unless we're a "celebrity" who really cares? I've put my name in my signature to put my money where my mouth is - I'm unimportant with very little money, no one cares.

Sorry very off topic but something I've puzzled about for a while smile.png

ETA and Phil Ambrose smile.png

I always have to be very careful when I do know a real name to remember whether somebody gets upset about where it is used.

In the case of someone like Martin, whilst Facebook doesn't show a great deal about him to someone who is not a "friend", it is still very obvious that it is him because of similar pictures to those he uses for an avatar on here, so it is not hard to identify a full name, despite his FB privacy settings.

Note I'm only using Martin as an example as he has come up. I think I have always managed to protect his privacy, but unfortunately on more than one occasion I have managed to use just a first name for somebody on CWDF, and have quickly been asked to edit it out. I do find it very hard to discuss stuff with someone on Facebook, to meet them at banters and use their real name, but to remember that I must not use their name, their boat's name, their boat's location, etc on CWDF.

(This isn't a complaint - I do realise why some want to some extent to control their anonymity, although I think sometimes they are not as anonymous to the world at large as they would like to think they are!)

In the case of someone like Martin, whilst Facebook doesn't show a great deal about him to someone who is not a "friend", it is still very obvious that it is him because of similar pictures to those he uses for an avatar on here, so it is not hard to identify a full name, despite his FB privacy settings.

This is very true, but equally you can't just find somebody on Facebook by virtue of their profile picture. You would have to know their full name to find them, or at the very least their surname. Only then could you then say 'oh yes that is him or her' when you compare profile pictures. So in order to find me on Facebook I have either told you my name (which I may very well have done) or somebody else who is aware of it has.,

Of course if someone really wants to you can armed with very little info. Find people's full ID using FB and other sources, but you couldn't search for them solely using their FB profile picture, that would only really confirm you have found the correct person.

This is very true, but equally you can't just find somebody on Facebook by virtue of their profile picture.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

All I need to do is put the URL for your CWDF avatar picture into Google Image Search, and I can find you on Facebook, and various Jack Russell and Motorhome forums. Nobody needs to have told me your name.

If it is important to you to stay anonymous, then I suggest you use a different image for your Avatar on each.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

All I need to do is put the URL for your CWDF avatar picture into Google Image Search, and I can find you on Facebook, and various Jack Russell and Motorhome forums. Nobody needs to have told me your name.

If it is important to you to stay anonymous, then I suggest you use a different image for your Avatar on each.

Ah but that might not be Martin, it could be someone else using rhe same avatar as Martin, because they like the same dogs. And Motorhomes.

(Offering this possibility in true CWF style of promoting the least likely explanation for something contentious!)

ninja.gif

Sorry very off topic but something I've puzzled about for a while smile.png

ETA and Phil Ambrose smile.png

But interestingly at least one person you have listed there does not use his full name in the forum. John in fact ISTR has said in the past that he preferred for his surname not to be used. Of course this was some time ago and his opinion may have changed given his profile with CRT but he did once indicate he preferred it not to used, perhaps surprising given you can link straight to his blog from his posts but I have remembered it and tried to remember to respect it.

As I have said before when this comes up the principal I work to is that if unless the member refers to their full name in the forum either by virtue of its use by them themselves or by it being their user name then I simply don't use it. If someone chooses to prefer how they are known, whatever the reason then I don't have a problem adhering to it (unless I have done it inadvertently).

As for reasons why? Well I can think of a couple easy ones that relate to perhaps fleeing certain situations such as un pleasant past event or domestic violence. There will be others and each person who chooses to do so will have their own particular reason which I honestly don't think is the business of anybody else. Ever since I was admonished by PM quite sternly by another member for using their given name in the forum rather than their forum user name I have tried to stick to the above rule. Up to then I concede I hadn't fully considered the issue.

Quick ed. to add - A quick search of John's surname shows it being used pretty extensively in the forum and unchallenged by John suggesting I have either got the wrong member or indeed his opinion on the matter has indeed changed, Apols. Ange if it's the former.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

That is interesting. Cheers. I have been meaning to change my FB profile picture for a while now so there's a good reason to do it.

Edited by MJG

As for reasons why? Well I can think of a couple easy ones that relate to perhaps fleeing certain situations such as un pleasant past event or domestic violence.

Another perfectly valid reason with no 'hidden agenda'

Several members on here have discussed owning firearms, storing firearms etc etc.

When said members are away cruising and the firearms are left unattended in the house, the fact that said member has announced their full name and location is a great lead for the bad-guys.

A quick search on the internet telephone numbers page can give you an address, or, alternatively the 'voters list' at the local library.

When one owns guns you can become a bit paranoid about security - just as an example - if your partner/wife/husband knows the location of the keys to the gun-cabinet the Police can "section 8" (sieze and destroy) your guns and you end up in Jail.

Another perfectly valid reason with no 'hidden agenda'

Several members on here have discussed owning firearms, storing firearms etc etc.

When said members are away cruising and the firearms are left unattended in the house, the fact that said member has announced their full name and location is a great lead for the bad-guys.

A quick search on the internet telephone numbers page can give you an address, or, alternatively the 'voters list' at the local library.

When one owns guns you can become a bit paranoid about security - just as an example - if your partner/wife/husband knows the location of the keys to the gun-cabinet the Police can "section 8" (sieze and destroy) your guns and you end up in Jail.

Or even taking firearms out the equation just the fact that you make it clear that you go on extended cruising or live aboard and accordingly that your home is permanently unoccupied or is so for significant periods. Perhaps extreme but certainly plausible.

Ah but that might not be Martin, it could be someone else using rhe same avatar as Martin, because they like the same dogs. And Motorhomes.

(Offering this possibility in true CWF style of promoting the least likely explanation for something contentious!)

ninja.gif

Apparently with friends that also match the first names of Martin's wife and other family members.

Life is full of coincidences, isn't it!