Site is back, after Monday 1st June disruption

Featured Posts

Hello all

The website and forum is now back, after a prolonged period of unplanned disruption. Regrettably, despite trying several times with different approaches to effect a repair database somehow got significantly trashed at around 10pm Sunday night, which resulted in us eventually having to do a restore from the last good backup, of Saturay night (actually, 2:30am Sunday early morning). Thus, most of Sunday's posts have been lost. Also missing are personal messages, any new member registrations, thread reports etc

Please accept the teams fullest apologies for this lost data and for the period of downtime.

We will investigate how/what occured with a view to learn for the future how to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Paul

The backup didn't get trashed, the backup worked in that the database was readable (on Sunday 2:30am), it read it and backed it up. The database corrupted at approx Sunday 10pm and the backup which ran 4 1/2 hours later on Monday 2:30am could not read the database either, so its output file is somewhat barren.

Instead of speculating at this stage, we will liase with the hosting company to determine the root cause of the issue, with a view to learning lessons from this so the site is more reliable going forwards.

Well done on getting it up and running again.

, One small glitch I have noticed is " view new content" button only shows threads I have posted in. Not all the new content, e.g. The above 2 posts should of been there at the top but were absent .

Thanks once again.

Ade

VNC for me only shows the posts since the restore.

Same for me - currently can only see 4 posts starting with MTB's "TESTing". Thanks anyway for getting the forum running again.

Sorted -just noticed the "By time period" default setting had changed to "Past 24 hours"

Edited by Woodsy

Was it sabotage? Databases don't 'get completely trashed' by accident. Especially not backups as well.

Yes they do get trashed, especially when a small bit of hardware fails - my experience with large Oracle databases says it does happen - if the database is trashed then the backup of the 'trashed' database won't be usable. The fact that the Saturday night/Sunday morning backup restored is good news indeed - you don't need a backup until you need one and it is difficult to test a backup. The fact that Sunday's data is lost is quite understandable and the 'right' business model based on the impact of the backups and the need to use them.

I would say well done to those who worked to restore the data - they should be happy that they were able to get things back and running as they did.

I would also like to thank Paul for his time spend supporting the host in working on the repair, and ultimately in having to revert to the last now backup.

Obviously its a great pity to losses around 20hours of content, partially on a busy time for us and has said we will now be chasing the host for a full and proper explanation of the events that caused this loss.

However on the alternate side, I think I am correct in saying this is the first lost of posts of this nature we have suffered since the forum moved to the Invison software in 2004, and the full site backup we held worked and did not result in full site loss, for which we have Tesla to thank.

Daniel

Site Owner.

All I can say is, whatever the cause it's, a job very well done, given the resources Dan has,in fact it's B marvellous considering that CWDF is not run by a large multinational and able to call upon a huge team of techies.

Phil

I agree totally with Phil's post.

My very great thanks to everyone concerned, the withdrawal symptoms were getting severe !!! I was afraid that some of the Gruntfuttocks or Rusty Rat Tail had leaked in from the unSTABLE BAR (a far worse threat than an attack from the DARK SIDE)

well done Brains of CWDF but why did it have to happen on a day when we where all cabin'd up due to the weather.

Thus is the way of things. Perhaps it's as well, I don't think the site crew would have been chuffed slaving away if the sun was out. Anyway three cheers they have sorted it out. Though I have lost a post or two, it's of no import.