Can I buy or lease land on the canal to moor by boat. Leicester or nearby.

m4rk

Featured Posts

Hi

Im currently based in a Marina, and would like to buy or rent land or similar in the area, either alone or with a group, for mooring.

I can imaging finding suitable land and getting mooring permission is difficult otherwise everyone would do it.

Can anyone offer advice of the best place to start please.

Thanks for any help offered.

And if you are interested in this also please let me know, particularly if you might be interested in looking for a location as a group.

Mark

Hi

Im currently based in a Marina, and would like to buy or rent land or similar in the area, either alone or with a group, for mooring.

I can imaging finding suitable land and getting mooring permission is difficult otherwise everyone would do it.

Can anyone offer advice of the best place to start please.

Thanks for any help offered.

And if you are interested in this also please let me know, particularly if you might be interested in looking for a location as a group.

Mark

The economics rarely stack up. A bit of land with 70ft frontage and road access might typically change hands for £40-50k, and that's without PP to moor a boat. And for what benefit? To save shelling out £2.5k a year on mooring fees in the marina? Or something else?

Borrowing £50k at say 5% will cost you £2.5k a year. Co-incidence, that!

(And then there is the £1k a year, roughly, you'll have to pay CRT in EOG fees...)

I'm afraid you have probably missed the opportunity by about 30 odd years..........the last good one I remember was on the Stort, it was a lock cottage with no road access and if I remember correctly mooring for 5 or 6 boats

There is one available on the Trent overlooking Attenborough Nature Reserve

Offers around £150,000

Rights to moor, no fees to C&RT and no boat licence needed.

3 Bedroom chalet, own water and electricity supply.

Advert in "Towpathtalk" - page 20

Hope its a floating mooring.

However, those opportunities that do come up periodically tend to be on rivers.

Edited by pearley

There is one available on the Trent overlooking Attenborough Nature Reserve

Offers around £150,000

Rights to moor, no fees to C&RT and no boat licence needed.

3 Bedroom chalet, own water and electricity supply.

Advert in "Towpathtalk" - page 20

Yes Alan I saw that, looks cheap but does not say how big the plot or length of mooring.

Neil

I'm afraid you have probably missed the opportunity by about 30 odd years..........the last good one I remember was on the Stort, it was a lock cottage with no road access and if I remember correctly mooring for 5 or 6 boats

No the opportunities still occur. We bought ours only 14 years ago, and one of the 4 moorings changed hands just this year (the new owners had to buy the boat that was moored there but they easily re-sold it by asking just a sensible price for it). Our investment paid for itself within 8 years and has since been pure benefit, and we still have an asset to sell when we're too old to go boating, assuming all the canals haven't gone derelict by then, for use only by canoes walkers and cyclists. If you get permission from CRT to moor, the issue of getting planning permission for change of use of the land to residential can be a major problem.

Thank you all for your input. Appreciated.

I guessed it wouldnt be straight forward.

So issues are

1. finding land at right price

2. obtaining planning permission (which i didnt realise we needed)

3. getting permission from CRT

I dont want to be on the trent but am okay with smaller rivers like the Soar.

I noticed, travelling up the Soar (towards trent north of Leicester) that a boater has aquired land and has dug a mooring back into the land off the river.

This would keep the boat off the cut.

Thanks once again for you input. I guess I just have to be creative in step 1 above and take it from there.

Mark

If its a leisure mooring you shouldn't need planning permission. If its residential, then strictly you do, although plenty of people live on leisure moorings, but you may need to keep your head down.

CRT permission for an online mooring is not a given. In the past all sorts of 'farmers field' and End of Garden moorings have been established, and BW/CRT seem content to allow those which exist to continue.

But new EoG moorings are more strictly managed. Basically you can moor a single boat against a residential property, but you need to demonstrate that you own the land or have the landowners permission. And there are various conditions. See https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/631.pdf

There is no mention about mooring to non residential land.

If its a leisure mooring you shouldn't need planning permission. If its residential, then strictly you do, although plenty of people live on leisure moorings, but you may need to keep your head down.

Hmmm I've heard that the freehold 'moorings' plots at Claydon on the Oxford only have PP for agricultural use. Anyone trying to use their canalside plot for leisure mooring for their boat is skating on thin ice.

£50k down the drain, or what??