Cyclist injures pedestrian

Featured Posts

It seems common sense to me that if the cyclist did ring his bell and noticed the pedestrian didnt hear it then they would go past at a speed not to cause that kind of accident. or any accident at all if you was to walk the bike past.

i walk a lot of canals and cyclist NEVER slow down to a speed which will not knock somebody over or cause an accident to cause injury. times when they ring there bell but then by time you look around they are there within feet of you, how do they know which why you will move when so close for themselves react.

as paths are used by both then cyclist should realise they are the ones who will cause more damage and should be more aware of what around them. not saying pedestrians wont cause an accident though. lots of senarios isnt there.

yes i cant spell before the spell checkers get me smile.png.

• rep_up.png

What about a towpath pedestrian merrily listening to a rendition of Thunderstruck by AC/DC, on her/his own personal entertainment system. Ie an ipod or mp3 player?

Where abouts does with "due care and attention" come into the equation?

What about a towpath pedestrian merrily listening to a rendition of Thunderstruck by AC/DC, on her/his own personal entertainment system. Ie an ipod or mp3 player?

Where abouts does with "due care and attention" come into the equation?

no such thing with a lot of cyclist

She was walking in group. He may have rung his bell four times and been acknowledged by enough to convince him that all were aware of his presence.

If he'd hit the woman at full tilt why was she not more badly hurt? No mention of any broken bones or anything else.

The people that she was with said that the cyclist stopped and asked if she was OK. They didn't say that he stopped and returned to see if she was OK.

If he'd been riding rather fast, why didn't he end up in the cut or the hedge?

He rode off without giving any more than his first name. Even a group of irate pensioners can be quite intimidating.

There is a lot more (or less) to this than we can glean from the newspaper report.

I'm afraid that the 10% of cyclists who are inconsiderate spoil it for the remainder who try to be considerate but who are not noticed for that very reason.

So I, and many others, conclude that all cyclists are dangerous louts.

Bristol has been designated as a 'cycling city' by the mayor; cyclists' take advantage of this, their behaviour is often beyond the pale.

I'm afraid that the 10% of cyclists who are inconsiderate spoil it for the remainder who try to be considerate but who are not noticed for that very reason.

So I, and many others, conclude that all cyclists are dangerous louts.

Bristol has been designated as a 'cycling city' by the mayor; cyclists' take advantage of this, their behaviour is often beyond the pale.

Where did you get the figure of 10% from? IMO it's more like 99.9%.

I take it then Bristol will be removing all traffic lights.

Some cyclists don't see them so yes they might aswell. One undertook me last week in our village and piled through the red as a give a blast of the horn (yes I know that is not what your horn is for) he just turned and gave me the finger.........

I do wonder why some pull such idiotic stunts particularly in our cities.

Mind you it's nice when they get caught doing it,

Edited by MJG

I love the first video of the red light jumper cyclist riding broadside straight into the side of the slow moving double decker bus. Presumably he didn't see it!

And presumably the bus driver will be held responsible...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Just seen the photos on a FB site- very nasty, lots of blood, 4 lost teeth and 12 stitches. The cyclist stopped but then left, giving only a first name. Regardless, he should have stopped before colliding and walked his bike around. Surely without leaving adequate details, this is a potential hit and run.

Just seen the photos on a FB site- very nasty, lots of blood, 4 lost teeth and 12 stitches. The cyclist stopped but then left, giving only a first name. Regardless, he should have stopped before colliding and walked his bike around. Surely without leaving adequate details, this is a potential hit and run.

As a considerate towpath cyclist myself I find this very distressing.

I slow to match their speed as I approach anyone walking, and only pass then when I know they have noticed my presence. Quite often I will dismount anyway if they look elderly, unsteady on their feet or nervous of me in any way.

I hate being associated with badly behaved cyclists.

MtB

• Greenie 3

As a considerate towpath cyclist myself I find this very distressing.

I slow to match their speed as I approach anyone walking, and only pass then when I know they have noticed my presence. Quite often I will dismount anyway if they look elderly, unsteady on their feet or nervous of me in any way.

MtB

Thats a good post and advice Mtb and we do have to appreciate that we sometimes judge a group by the actions of a minority. Last year the cyclist on the towpath where I live were a speeding nightmare but happy to say the majority of the ones I've encountered recently have slowed down and most are appreciative when I move the dog out of their way- a few "thank yous" have addressed my opinion

Edited by Woodstock

MtB

There's no need to qualify yourself Mike or distance yourself from the rabble.

I wouldn't think for a moment that (apart from the usual goons on this forum) anyone would have thought otherwise.

In this world there are too many freaks and not enough circuses.

I love the first video of the red light jumper cyclist riding broadside straight into the side of the slow moving double decker bus. Presumably he didn't see it!

I read a follow-up article to that video, apparently his brakes failed. You can see he stopped pedalling as the lights changed which suggests that he didn't intend to plough straight through into the bus. Still he's lucky to be alive to tell the tale!

If only bikes had two brakes, one on each wheel...

They generally do, but some with a fixed rear sprocket only have a front one on the basis that resisting the rotation of the pedals will slow the rear wheel down, I believe that was the case here. Even if he'd had a rear brake to apply, chances are he would have locked the wheel and slid into the bus anyway, albeit at a slightly lower speed. It's the front brake that does 3/4 of the work!

I'm not here to make excuses for bad cyclists, I'm just not sure that this particular video is the type of bad cyclist we should be concerned about, it's someone crashing due to mechanical failure rather than someone crashing due to riding like an idiot. There's plenty of idiot cyclist videos on youtube if you want them, along with idiots misbehaving in just about every other type of road vehicle.

They generally do, but some with a fixed rear sprocket only have a front one on the basis that resisting the rotation of the pedals will slow the rear wheel down, I believe that was the case here. Even if he'd had a rear brake to apply, chances are he would have locked the wheel and slid into the bus anyway, albeit at a slightly lower speed. It's the front brake that does 3/4 of the work!

I'm not here to make excuses for bad cyclists, I'm just not sure that this particular video is the type of bad cyclist we should be concerned about, it's someone crashing due to mechanical failure rather than someone crashing due to riding like an idiot. There's plenty of idiot cyclist videos on youtube if you want them, along with idiots misbehaving in just about every other type of road vehicle.

Indeed there are other idiots popping up on YouTube, the following video I posted shows two. One who only stopped at a red light because they found themselves along side a police motorcyclist who instructed them to do so and the other who the police motorcyclist caught up with and stopped.

As for the first one, well breakdown is plausible I suppose, but the cyclist I referred to who I witnessed jumping a red could have easily met the same fate. I could almost wish he had to teach him a lesson, however I would have been delayed while they cleaned the mess up so it was probably better that he didn't really.

Mind you it's nice when they get caught doing it,

You've got to laugh. Motor cyclists undertaking, passing between moving traffic, even a motorcycle cop passing on the wrong side of the road and cutting back into the traffic.

No problem but a cyclist goes across a crossing behind the pedestrians crossing and all hell breaks lose!

• Greenie 1

You've got to laugh. Motor cyclists undertaking, passing between moving traffic, even a motorcycle cop passing on the wrong side of the road and cutting back into the traffic.

No problem but a cyclist goes across a crossing behind the pedestrians crossing and all hell breaks lose!

Passing between moving traffic isn't necessarily a problem, I've probably done a few thousand miles of that myself (ex motorcycle courier) without it causing any major incident. The guy filming does seem to abuse the advanced stop line at 0:45 though, and there was already a white people carrier filling half the bicycle box.

I have a little urge to play devil's advocate on this, did the cyclist advance between the stationary traffic with the intent of occupying the bicycle box only to find it full of other vehicles leaving him nowhere safe to stop? I've had that happen to me on a bicycle more than once, found myself having to fit sideways across the front of the box in order to stay clear of other traffic.

The one that hit the bus allegedly did. The cyclist said that his front brake failed, and his back brake couldn't do the job on its own.

Frankly, this is bollux.

I cycle loads and my back brake would easily stop me under those circumstances, should I be paying attention.