Cabin Strings

Rob-M

Featured Posts

I would like to have a go at making some cabin strings (I think that is the correct name) but I have not been able to find a suitable reference to the method or knot to use. Does anybody know of a good guide to making one..?

Sample picture of a cabin string

8162184741_be7c0c851c_z.jpgLeo - Stourbridge

I would like to have a go at making some cabin strings (I think that is the correct name) but I have not been able to find a suitable reference to the method or knot to use. Does anybody know of a good guide to making one..?

What are they used for?

What are they used for?

To store a line and dry it from the heat of the cabin stove. Bearing in mind the ropes were made from an organic material, cotton I believe, and would rot if not cared for.

18199140106_d793037d2a_c.jpg

18199178676_8eb9dfbe4a_c.jpgurl],

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

8162184741_be7c0c851c_z.jpgLeo - Stourbridge

I had mine made by Tradline at Braunston. Speak to them, I'm sure they'd help

Strings are attractive but I abandoned mine as movement of the boat caused strings to rub the paint leaving an obvious crescent shaped mark lower down on the panel. There were proper jobs made from a softer material. However there are plenty in use, some folks only attach them when moored up but I would not go for them anymore. Each to their own

There are various ways of making two and three drop cabin strings, some more decorative than others..

The following are Ken Nelson's (IGKT) instructions given to me some years ago with permission to reproduce.

They might be difficult to follow if you only have a rudimentary knowledge of knots and splices.

CABIN STRINGS WITH THREE DROPS

Centre drop

Cut one piece of rope 75" long, seize 9" from one end and open up the lay.

Next crown and then back splice for two or three tucks. Now twist the three strands back into a rope long enough to form a loop and splice back into the main rope three tucks. Make a five lead by four bight Turks Head from cotton seine twine and tighten up over loose ends of splice. Next put a seizing on the rope 31" from the spliced end open up the lay of the rope and whip the ends with tape, now open the lay all the way back to the seizing. Now crown the strands and pull up, next hold the rope with the splice at the top and crown the strands back up the rope 15 times then splice one tuck. Now loosely crown , then wall and double twice, work out the slack and cut the ends off.

Outer drops.

Next cut another piece of rope 129" long and seize 36" from each end and pass through loop in centre drop , now open up and repeat crowning & wall and crowning as above.

Other information

Total length of rope required is 17ft -0"

Preferred rope is 12mm Cable laid Cotton. If Cotton is not available White Polyester is a good substitute.

Seize- To seize is to tie a thin twine round the rope to prevent it untwisting.

A good method is to use a constrictor knot. (I G K T Knot chart No 16)

(Ashley #1249)

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if you are still looking to make some...as only just seen this..

I make 3 drop & 2 drop ones and learned from the RYA book of Knots Splices & Ropework..the 3 drop cabin strings in the book are by Ken Nelson with very clear instructions and diagrams..

I use 14 mm cotton rope I get from the lovely Karen at Tradline in Braunston...

If you do have a go and get into difficulties message me for help!!...

There seems to be a world of difference between a coiled rope hanging at the side of the cabin in the old photos and those rather twee rope ends on present-day boats.

A bit like false rivets methinks.

I'd just assumed they were some vestigial remains like our tail bones or appendix

There seems to be a world of difference between a coiled rope hanging at the side of the cabin in the old photos and those rather twee rope ends on present-day boats.

Stylised side strings are just one of the decorative additions to working boats which were introduced by working boat people long before twee false rivet boats came along.

Others include white cratch strings, brass bands on chimneys, chimney chains and even roses and castles.

George ex nb Alton retired

The purpose of the side strings was to hang the coiled rope on the cabin side where it could be easily reached when needed, as per the earlier photograph. Much of the decorative rope work also had a practical use.

Cheers

Dave

From the acknowledged rope expert, Mr Ken Nelson:

19325817605_f74d856dca_b.jpgDSCF2205

19299743226_c22f18f0a5_b.jpgDSCF2207

Two of the strings keep the rope clear of the cabin side, third string coils round the rope and back over itself.

This was a personal demo he gave me along with the explanation mentioned in the two photo's I posted above.

Edited by Ray T

You probably realise now from the subsequent photos, but you are misinterpreting how the strings work - the coiled line is held by these, they are not twee rope ends.

Edited by Tam & Di

To store a line and dry it from the heat of the cabin stove. Bearing in mind the ropes were made from an organic material, cotton I believe, and would rot if not cared for.

18199140106_d793037d2a_c.jpg

Lovely photo any idea where its from? :)

As a side, before anyone says the butty is on the wrong side of the motor he had corrected this when he went down Stoke locks. smile.png

Reason ? so the motor stays in deep water when brested pairs pass each other.

Yes but life isn't always quite that simple.

If your prop rotation is such that the bow naturally slews to the left when you try to come to a quick stop, then having the un-braked weight of the butty to your right hand side further exacerbates this as the butty tries to continue on its travels forward, further turning the motor to the right.

If I breast another boat to "Sickle" to tow through a lock flight, I often elect to put "Sickle" on the right, even though it has a greater danger of being in shallower water. That way, when you try to stop, the motor tries to slew left, but the continuing attempts by the towed boat to carry on as it was, counters this effect, as it tries to swing you to the right.