overstay £25 per day

b0atman

Featured Posts

Whether or not you consider the innocent looking daffodil (or rhododendron) as a threat, 'anecdotal' evidence in this particular debate adds nothing and becomes part of the problem not the solution. The smart money has been advising CRT to gather data to validate the actions they take. A wine-soaked plumber stirring the brown stuff is not data.

Lol lol lol.

Edited by jenlyn

Marple. Bollington. Stone.

That's three where I've been unable to moor within the last two months and found the same boats there when I went back a few days later. Probably isn't a permament problem (or even a very important one for most people), but to say there isn't one at all is just daft. We've had this discussion several times on here, and it always ends the same way...

..and you're sure they are CM'ers?....and so it goes on...

Marple. Bollington. Stone.

That's three where I've been unable to moor within the last two months and found the same boats there when I went back a few days later. Probably isn't a permament problem (or even a very important one for most people), but to say there isn't one at all is just daft. We've had this discussion several times on here, and it always ends the same way...

Funny you should say Stone was just talking to a friend who is a trader and he said the place was empty I was surprised as it is normally busy but not with over stayers in my experience can't comment on the others. A few days though is hardly a problem. Did you mention it to CRT

I guess that is the same anecdotal evidence that VM's are all occupied by ccers. The hard evidence from those that cruise round the system is VM are not a problem unless you are looking late in the day by the time the early bird as they say has caught the worm

and the same anecdotal evidence that they are not occupied by overstayers.....incidentally where did occupied by CCer's come from.....that seems to be your hangup, that every complaint is aimed at them

Yep, 100% with you on that, I've flicked through this thread, and haven't commented because I can't quite get to what the actual problem or issue is, (My fault, I have little understanding of such things). The way I've read it is -

Someone stayed on a time sensitive mooring !, Ok fine.

Someone overstayed on the same time sensitive mooring !.

In my view,,,yep they should be charged whatever the cost is !, if they didn't like the cost and or didn't make special arraignments with the mooring or land owners, then move before becoming an over stayer !.

At the visitors mooring where I am, you pay Your harbor license ofcourse to allow you to navigate, but then in addition you pay £2.85 per

Mtr per Day, if you 'Choose' to use the mooring, in addition to which you pay £??? if you want electric, and so on.

But as I said there is probably something I'm missing, or not fully understanding in all this.

I think the issue is that people are concern that CRT are claiming powers which they don't have. Comparing with coastal waters is irrelevant, it's comparing apples with pears. We pay a licence fees which gives an entitlement to moor on the towpath for 14 days for free. Overstaying is an enforcement issue, yes, but NOT a revenue raising issue. If coastal moorings are pricier, then that's free market capitalism in practice. The canal towpath is not a free market!!!

and the same anecdotal evidence that they are not occupied by overstayers.....incidentally where did occupied by CCer's come from.....that seems to be your hangup, that every complaint is aimed at them

My evidence is from about 180 miles traveled since April and passing plenty of VM and from being moored close to a VM with space for about 10 boats and only 2 moored on them. As for the ccer part in my post suggest you use the search facility on here

I think the issue is that people are concern that CRT are claiming powers which they don't have. Comparing with coastal waters is irrelevant, it's comparing apples with pears. We pay a licence fees which gives an entitlement to moor on the towpath for 14 days for free. Overstaying is an enforcement issue, yes, but NOT a revenue raising issue. If coastal moorings are pricier, then that's free market capitalism in practice. The canal towpath is not a free market!!!

Aaaah got ya.

If CRT don't have the powers to issue 'Fines' for

over staying, then now I understand.

I thought the moorings was owned or managed by them in some way. (BTW who IS responsible for the moorings ?)

Ofcourse it should be left to the owner or agent of the moorings to chase and penalise the

facility abusers, The same way that if you overstay in a motorway service area, or Superstore car park I guess.

The case in point must revolve around exactly where the errant boater moored. I have already pointed out that there is one location at Thrupp where the sign makes NO MENTION of the charge and in my view a reasonable man could well think the £25 per day charge no longer applied. Mooring anywhere else at Thrupp would clearly attract the £25 a day charge.

If anyone thinks this is unreasonable then they need to test it in the courts. I note the various associations do not seem keen to mount a test case.

I find the whole thing at Thrupp rather annoying. Much of the South Oxford's bank involves mooring against under water rocks that tends to make for noisy nights. Areas close to Oxford have great lengths reserved for water voles or "hippy boats" so mooring close to public transport is very limited, as are the 14 day moorings at Thrupp (actually it would be truer to say Shipton). Despite all this TCCC seems to be allowed to monopolise an awful lot of the banks it is possible to moor against. To make matters worse it seems to me that the actions taken re mooring on the Thames at Oxford have forced a lot of livaboards up the canal who further deny moorings to cruising boaters.

Tony The reason mooring on the Thames received so much attention from the EA which culminated in the new rules is because a number of boat were taking the p*ss and staying for months even years on end! One of the said boats is now making a bid to screw up Reading.

Re Thrupp please read my earlier post about the situation at Thrupp.

What are these new rules on the Thames please Maffi?

Does one have to have a home mooring to get a Thames licence? I always had one, it never occurred to me not to! Similarly can one get a Gold Licence and claim to CC?

We have moored in Thrupp a number of times. As Maffi says always neat and tidy and a good place to moor. Bus route nearby.

One thing I will say, at times it can be a bit clicky. Not everyone of course but you/I do that that impression from time to time.

Greenie for Maffi by the way. (How's your new gearbox?)

Martyn

It wasn't new I just had the old one refurbed. So far so good!

What are these new rules on the Thames please Maffi?

Does one have to have a home mooring to get a Thames licence? I always had one, it never occurred to me not to! Similarly can one get a Gold Licence and claim to CC?

I cant quote exact MtB but it is something like one night no charge night 2 £5 and then it increases incrementally up to about 50 quid but you would need to look it up. I have never bothered to memorise it because I never stay more than one night except at Abingdon where it is 5 nights free.

• 2 weeks later...

My evidence is from about 180 miles traveled since April and passing plenty of VM and from being moored close to a VM with space for about 10 boats and only 2 moored on them. As for the ccer part in my post suggest you use the search facility on here

My evidence is from 521 miles travelling since March and passing plenty of VM's, mooring on plenty of VM's and generally using my eyes.

Overstaying is an issue in some places as is bridge hopping and taking root.

I thought you were giving up boating anyway. It won't matter to you one way or the other frusty.gif

My evidence is from 521 miles travelling since March and passing plenty of VM's, mooring on plenty of VM's and generally using my eyes.

I thought you were giving up boating anyway. It won't matter to you one way or the other frusty.gif

How many VMs are there in the North Sea? icecream.gif

• Greenie 1

Firstly I am not giving up boating. I am selling my boat and when the time comes I will have another one built. Secondly what does that have to do with my observations so far this year. Thirdly you do post so much irrelevance Fourthly I do not care if I have a boat or not I will continue to post my thoughts and observations. My Fith point with the number of kind offers I had from other boaters to use their boat when they are not using I will continue to have observations Edited by cotswoldsman

So the court overturns this fine and lots of people find a nice bit of towpath where they stay for as long as they like because CRT have had their teeth pulled .So all visitor moorings full any moorings convenient for services or parking a car full .

Who will be the losers ?