overstay £25 per day

b0atman

Featured Posts

2 seperate 14 DAY moorings in immediate area then lazy boater needs fining .I hope I do not get fined for staying on these 48 hour visitor moorings arrived wednesday probably leave sunday or monday depending on weather

I base the length of stay on 48 hour moorings on number of boats. I am surreal on a 48 hour mooring with enough space for 15 boats at present there are 4 boats so could be here for a long stay. If it gets busy I am happy to move

I base the length of stay on 48 hour moorings on number of boats. I am surreal on a 48 hour mooring with enough space for 15 boats at present there are 4 boats so could be here for a long stay. If it gets busy I am happy to move

Absolutely agree with you on that but what if the covert CRT man clocks you and you get a bill for overstaying ?

I suppose if someone refused to pay the £25, CRT would use it as an excuse not to renew their licence then pull the boat out for having no licence. CRT lose the judgement in court and we pay for the consequences. I think that's how it works now....

Nothing to fear but fear itself...

I suppose if someone refused to pay the £25, CRT would use it as an excuse not to renew their licence then pull the boat out for having no licence. CRT lose the judgement in court and we pay for the consequences. I think that's how it works now....

Nothing to fear but fear itself...

They do not have the power to do that

I doubt that would stop them trying though...

As happens that is one of the few things they recognise. They cannot refuse a license for non-payment of any debt, disputed or not. And they can't take money given to them for a license fee and attach it to any other account.

(like you it wouldn't surprise me if someone in the organisation tried it and then the whole creaky monolith would swivel behind that person's decision)

As happens that is one of the few things they recognise. They cannot refuse a license for non-payment of any debt, disputed or not. And they can't take money given to them for a license fee and attach it to any other account.

(like you it wouldn't surprise me if someone in the organisation tried it and then the whole creaky monolith would swivel behind that person's decision)

It was mentioned at the south east visitor mooring meetings initially. CRT did at one point suggest they could refuse a licence because they were of the belief they could allocate the "fines" to the licence account.

It was and remains to be a mish mash. Boating used to be a pleasurable pastime, now it's becoming a battle.

The sad truth is that fear tactics do work. Put up a threatening sign and most people will play safe and abide by it.

So what would happen if someone refuses to pay the £25 fine? On a similar vein, what would happen if someone refused to pay for an 'official' mooring on the tow path side during the Crick show? What would happen if someone ignored the reserved signs during a Stoke Bruerne event?

What law is there backing what are often private agreements between individuals?

Like most people, I try to fit in and be reasonable but there seems to be an increasing number of aspiring police who seem to think they own part of the waterways. These are also P takers.

How long before a charge (or penalty dependant upon the amount and ones view) is applied to any boat that overstays a stay time - even the standard 14 days. It seems this is where we are heading I recall Sally Ash saying this was an option to be considered.

How long before a charge (or penalty dependant upon the amount and ones view) is applied to any boat that overstays a stay time - even the standard 14 days. It seems this is where we are heading I recall Sally Ash saying this was an option to be considered.

I suspect that if the number of people using the system continues to increase, that this would be very likely. I think many of us don't seem to understand that looser enforcement regimes of earlier years are unlikely to survive when the numbers of users is increasing. When there were fewer people living on the system "under the radar" was a viable option. With the increase of numbers, particularly of the vociferous minority who believe it is a "right" to do much as they please, it ceases to be so.

However this does not excuse a "jobsworth" attitude to enforcement nor to the enforcement of rules that have no legal basis.

I suspect that if the number of people using the system continues to increase, that this would be very likely. I think many of us don't seem to understand that looser enforcement regimes of earlier years are unlikely to survive when the numbers of users is increasing. When there were fewer people living on the system "under the radar" was a viable option. With the increase of numbers, particularly of the vociferous minority who believe it is a "right" to do much as they please, it ceases to be so.

However this does not excuse a "jobsworth" attitude to enforcement nor to the enforcement of rules that have no legal basis.

I know all the fault of us people that like to live under the radar. Get on with our boating simply minding our own business. I must stop doing as I please and remember all those sitting in front of their computer screens. Have to move off this 48 hour mooring tomorrow as another boat has turned up leaving space for only another 11 boats

If you mean number of boats using the system, it appears to be decreasing rather than increasing.

If you mean the number who do not have a home mooring, then you are correct - that is increasing.

If you mean number of boats using the system, it appears to be decreasing rather than increasing.

If you mean the number who do not have a home mooring, then you are correct - that is increasing.

I wasn't clear enough.....I was meaning liveaboard boaters

if it is decreasing then boats are leaving CRT waters because the alternative is that they are being scrapped .

So how many are being scrapped ?

I would think that most boats have taken available spaces in non NAA marinas which will account for some reduction and also the amount on hardstanding at some of the marinas.

if it is decreasing then boats are leaving CRT waters because the alternative is that they are being scrapped .So how many are being scrapped ?I would think that most boats have taken available spaces in non NAA marinas which will account for some reduction and also the amount on hardstanding at some of the marinas.

I was discussing this with another boater yesterday. The number of boats on CRT waters haven't changed dramatically in years but there are clearly lots of new builds being sold each year. So where do old boats go? Are there any figures for scrapped boats? Maybe they are in the bottom of the cut...:(

If the Boater concerned was on a 14 day mooring then he has no excuses. Having just cruised through Thrupp the notices are perfectly clear from passing boats BUT: There is one two day notice that could be confusing. On the post immediately at the Jolly Boatman end to the second batch of TCC moorings there is only a sign saying 2 free days with no mention of the £25 charge. Anyone not familiar with the new policy could well believe that the £25 stretch had ended. One thing is clear. There is not enough 14 day mooring in the area.

I personally think all this long term moorings should be on the non towpath side and that CRT should start moving this way .

All very well where they own the offside and have access, which is not in many places

Edited by Loddon

If the Boater concerned was on a 14 day mooring then he has no excuses. Having just cruised through Thrupp the notices are perfectly clear from passing boats BUT: There is one two day notice that could be confusing. On the post immediately at the Jolly Boatman end to the second batch of TCC moorings there is only a sign saying 2 free days with no mention of the £25 charge. Anyone not familiar with the new policy could well believe that the £25 stretch had ended. One thing is clear. There is not enough 14 day mooring in the area.

There are many , many notices across the network that say 14 days without charge, the problem is, unless they state clearly what the charge is, they cannot charge a charge.

I was discussing this with another boater yesterday. The number of boats on CRT waters haven't changed dramatically in years but there are clearly lots of new builds being sold each year. So where do old boats go? Are there any figures for scrapped boats? Maybe they are in the bottom of the cut...sad.png

According to CaRT and BW annual reports the number of boats with 12 month licences has fallen from a high of just over 35,000 (2010/11) to just over 32,000 (2013/14). The Annual Reports are on CaRT's website for anyone to check.

CaRT have now given me two figures for this year (31/3/2015).

Less than 30,000 and just over 32,000!

So it is certain that the number of craft has dropped by 3,000 and the figure might be as high as 5000. I suspect somewhere in between.

I suspect the drop in number is due to several factors including BW overstating the 35,000 figure and a rise in unlicenced craft.

I base the length of stay on 48 hour moorings on number of boats...

We very fairly stop more than overnight in any 24/48moorings as we weekend the boat mainly, however there has been times when we have spent 19 days 'three weeks' on a 14 day mooring on a rural/quiet.spot between moves. Technically this in breach, bit I would think it a sad day if it came to the point where that could not be done for fear of a substantial fine

Daniel