overstay £25 per day

b0atman

Featured Posts

Any truth that a boater at Thrupp who overstayed the 14 ? day period by 9 days has received a bill for £225 ?

Is this bill from Thrupp boat club who seem to have some god given right to the towpath or from CRT if from anyone ?

The Thrupp area needs taking under CRT as my example when I was a Blue badge disabled person I was informed that I could not moor on the designated disabled mooring as this was for one of their people this mooring being on the stretch from the electric lift bridge to the pub .

There is certainly someone claiming they have received this charge on Facebook.

The charge must surely be from CRT? Although the moorings at Thrupp are managed by the cruising club, they surely play no part in actually raising the £25 overstay charges. These are invoiced by CRT against your customer details that link to the boat they are charging for.

The more bizarre bit of the story, as I read it, is that the person concerned claims to have had no knowledge this was even a possibility. If Thrupp is anything like Stoke Bruerne or Foxton, (and I feel sure it is), then the signs threatening the £25 per day make this more prominent than the actual time you are allowed to stay without charge.

I loathe these schemes and these charges, but a suggestion that you don't know they are in place seems odd - most people think it is the threatening signs driving people away from stopping in the first place!

There is certainly someone claiming they have received this charge on Facebook.

The charge must surely be from CRT? Although the moorings at Thrupp are managed by the cruising club, they surely play no part in actually raising the £25 overstay charges. These are invoiced by CRT against your customer details that link to the boat they are charging for.

The more bizarre bit of the story, as I read it, is that the person concerned claims to have had no knowledge this was even a possibility. If Thrupp is anything like Stoke Bruerne or Foxton, (and I feel sure it is), then the signs threatening the £25 per day make this more prominent than the actual time you are allowed to stay without charge.

I loathe these schemes and these charges, but a suggestion that you don't know they are in place seems odd - most people think it is the threatening signs driving people away from stopping in the first place!

It would be surprising to learn that they did not know of the issue when moored at Thrupp. They come and make note of your boat and give you details of what the terms of the visitor moorings are in quite short order and it is signposted clearly. Although that may seem officious in my view they are just efficient and in my own experience have found the folk there looking after the moorings friendly and helpful.

It would be surprising to learn that they did not know of the issue when moored at Thrupp. They come and make note of your boat and give you details of what the terms of the visitor moorings are in quite short order and it is signposted clearly. Although that may seem officious in my view they are just efficient and in my own experience have found the folk there looking after the moorings friendly and helpful.

I'm not sure they give you any info when taking your boat details now. I've stopped at stoke bruerne a couple of times in the past few months, and not had anything handed to me.

I'm not sure they give you any info when taking your boat details now. I've stopped at stoke bruerne a couple of times in the past few months, and not had anything handed to me.

I was talking about Thrupp not Stoke Bruerne. They (Thrupp club) have always managed the visitor moorings there even before the "experiment" with the visitor moorings. But I have not been there for over a year now so things may have changed. Even so the signs are clear.

My experience too. When you arrive at Thrupp, they are on your case late afternoon or early evening if you are around, explaining the rules and making sure you understand them. Even if they don't catch you, the signs are everywhere and very hard to miss.

I was talking about Thrupp not Stoke Bruerne. They (Thrupp club) have always managed the visitor moorings there even before the "experiment" with the visitor moorings. But I have not been there for over a year now so things may have changed. Even so the signs are clear.

When we were arguing this stuff with Geoff whyatt at the time, the leaflets were to be distributed at "all" sites. So if one site stops doing it, I see no reason for another not to.

• Greenie 1

It is quite correct that they have stopped handing anything out at these sites, (according to CRT). I would be surprised if that now didn't apply to Thrupp, but maybe the Cruising Club might do something different off their own back?

We were in Stoke Bruerne overnight last night, arriving evening, and leaving following morning, and were recorded by the volunteers, but they no longer approach the boats. The only way you would know about the charges is the signs, but they remain very prominent.

Stoke Bruerne remains half dead - masses of space in the tunnel pound - umpteen places I could have moored a 72 footer, despite arriving just before 8:00pm. "Bob the Blacksmith" reckons he is now only taking 53% of what he was before these charges were introduced. There was almost nobody at all in the Boat pub. Progress, hey? I wonder what our incoming waterways manager with her background in attractions management makes of this business model?

It is quite correct that they have stopped handing anything out at these sites, (according to CRT). I would be surprised if that now didn't apply to Thrupp, but maybe the Cruising Club might do something different off their own back?

We were in Stoke Bruerne overnight last night, arriving evening, and leaving following morning, and were recorded by the volunteers, but they no longer approach the boats. The only way you would know about the charges is the signs, but they remain very prominent.

Stoke Bruerne remains half dead - masses of space in the tunnel pound - umpteen places I could have moored a 72 footer, despite arriving just before 8:00pm. "Bob the Blacksmith" reckons he is now only taking 53% of what he was before these charges were introduced. There was almost nobody at all in the Boat pub. Progress, hey? I wonder what our incoming waterways manager with her background in attractions management makes of this business model?

Wednesday night - should you have expected a vibrant party rocking the place?

As I said before, we arrived midday ish Sat and got choice of mooring - by 8pm hardly any space in tunnel pound and only by looking sad were we given a table in the Indian the instant it opened - fully booked..

Edited by mark99

Given Thrupp used to hand out notices before CRT started the experiment I wouldn't be surprised if they were still doing it.

I don't really understand this since at Stoke B above the top lock was 48 hour moorings before the current initiative what is so different that is driving people away? Is it because some folk can't overstay the 48 hours without penalty any more? When I have been there in the evening there have been plenty of boats but like Thrupp I have not been there for a year or so now.

Edited by churchward

I don't really understand this since at Stoke B above the top lock was 48 hour moorings before the current initiative what is so different that is driving people away?

My opinion is it's the complexity of the new signage.

From a moving boat people try to understand they signs as they approach to moor but they find it confusing. They immediately however get the message that a mistake leads to a £25 fine, and decide to keep going rather than risk it.

Given Thrupp used to hand out notices before CRT started the experiment I wouldn't be surprised if they were still doing it.

Well, the guy didn't get any, so there's no point to making assumption is there. In fact he was even given one of the club moorings by the warden for the night, whilst he was broken down, and was also charged the 25 quid for that as well.

Well, the guy didn't get any, so there's no point to making assumption is there. In fact he was even given one of the club moorings by the warden for the night, whilst he was broken down, and was also charged the 25 quid for that as well.

This raises an interesting point.

Do VM overstay charges apply regardless of the circumstances? Or is there an exemption along the lines of "or such longer time as is reasonable under the circumstances"? Like a breakdown?

I was not and am not making any assumptions about the specific circumstances. I was commenting based on my own experience and expressing that I would be surprised to learn that they were still not issuing information to moorers.

I don't know any of the details of the specific case in the OP other than what little has been supplied here.

I don't really understand this since at Stoke B above the top lock was 48 hour moorings before the current initiative what is so different that is driving people away? Is it because some folk can't overstay the 48 hours without penalty any more? When I have been there in the evening there have been plenty of boats but like Thrupp I have not been there for a year or so now.

Well, (tongue in cheek), firstly it was only 48 hours before the current initiative if you came in from one particular direction, because there was only a single sign at one extreme of the whole moorings. I can't recall there ever being one at the other end, so if you arrived from the unsigned end, and moored up, you could legitimately say you had seen no sign(!)

But, perhaps more seriously, I think people have expressed on here the sentiment that "I'm not going to stop any more somewhere that is so unwelcoming that the fine for overstaying is displayed far more prominently than how long you are allowed to stay". Everybody is entitled to a view of course, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that even after considerable relaxation of the new rules, Stoke Bruerne in general now has far less boats moored than it did before this initiative.

I'm not personally familiar with Foxton in recent yeras, but pictures posted elsewhere seem to say much the same has happened there.

Consider this: in a number of places (e.g. gas Street, Clarence dock and others) there have been £25 for overstaying signs for years, but, to my knowledge they've never been enforced. These new signs in Thrupp, Stoke Bruerne etc are being enforced, but it's hardly surprising that boaters get confused.

A bit of consistency would be helpful.

14+9 = 23 days. Lets say he goes cruising for a week each month...effectively he's getting a months mooring for £225. If he moves to the next 14day/£25 mooring, it sounds like a decent deal, no council tax, right outside a pub etc :)

I wonder what our incoming waterways manager with her background in attractions management makes of this business model?

She hasn't got time for that, she's too busy counting her Bonus.

If you push your boat 12 inches from the bank, that means you're mobile and not actually 'staying' and can't be charged?

All rich people who can afford 25 Pounds a day can stop as long as they like in Thrupp? Riff-raff keep on moving, not wanted here...?

Edited by Emerald Fox

14+9 = 23 days. Lets say he goes cruising for a week each month...effectively he's getting a months mooring for £225. If he moves to the next 14day/£25 mooring, it sounds like a decent deal, no council tax, right outside a pub etc smile.png

Errm,

The £25 per day overstay charge kicks in after 2 days, not 14.

So if you are there a month, it will cost you something like £700.

In excess of £8,400 per annum is not a decent deal at all for a bit of unserviced public towing path.

How do I pay or pre book an extra day if I can its a charge if I can't it strikes me it's a penalty. Given that an equivalent charge at a BWML marina (with services and security) is around £10 per day that would seem to be a fair offer to make in full and final settlement. I've heard that method has worked well on private car parks.

I don't have a problem with 48 hours where a site is popular ( not like 3 locks at Stoke Hammond or bottom of Atherstone introduced with no evidence) ) but resent the threat of penalty charges , if it's heavy rain in the morning I would rather stay put for a few hours without having to pay for the privilege that explains why we don't stay more than night and have spoken to several boaters who do the same. Guess you could say it's working as we are freeing up space for others.

Like Alan I've noticed that stoke breune is emptier we still stop but only overnight , but generally we prefer Weedon or Cosgrove now .

Errm,

The £25 per day overstay charge kicks in after 2 days, not 14.

So if you are there a month, it will cost you something like £700.

In excess of £8,400 per annum is not a decent deal at all for a bit of unserviced public towing path.

There are some 14 day moorings at Thrupp carrying the £25 per day overstay charge and I expect it it these to which EF refers.

The thread was about Thrupp originally!

There are some 14 day moorings at Thrupp carrying the £25 per day overstay charge and I expect it it these to which EF refers.

The thread was about Thrupp originally!

Fair point.

As the downloadable map for Thrupp seems to have gone AWOL from the CRT site, one can no longer check the position there anyway.

Even so if you get 14 free days in a month, but pay for 16, that is still £400 per month, or £4,800 per year for an unserviced tow-path mooring, so I can't agree with Dean that it is any sort of bargain at all.

In fact one of the principle objections has been that £25 is an excessive amount to spend an extra day at such places, given the charge is generally higher than in the majority fully serviced marina berths outside of London and other very expensive locations.

Fair point.

As the downloadable map for Thrupp seems to have gone AWOL from the CRT site, one can no longer check the position there anyway.

Even so if you get 14 free days in a month, but pay for 16, that is still £400 per month, or £4,800 per year for an unserviced tow-path mooring, so I can't agree with Dean that it is any sort of bargain at all.

In fact one of the principle objections has been that £25 is an excessive amount to spend an extra day at such places, given the charge is generally higher than in the majority fully serviced marina berths outside of London and other very expensive locations.

In truth the first 14 days would be free then 351 days would be at £25 =£8775 mooring per year, now would this suit some rich boater in London?

Fair point.

ISTR the last mooring auctioned by CRT at Thrupp (at the Shipton end by the church) went for about £5k a year.

In truth the first 14 days would be free then 351 days would be at £25 =£8775 mooring per year, now would this suit some rich boater in London?

There are two 14 day areas at Thrupp IIRC. Perhaps one could CC between one and the other?

ninja.gif

MtB

2 seperate 14 DAY moorings in immediate area then lazy boater needs fining .I hope I do not get fined for staying on these 48 hour visitor moorings arrived wednesday probably leave sunday or monday depending on weather